Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 12:34 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

I despised his numerous skits mocking the elderly/disabled. There's nothing "funny" about walking with a slow, impaired gait, but he seemed to think so. To think he made money off the sufferings of others. When my daughter was 6 years old, she saw one of his "funnies". She said "That's mean". To think a small child knew better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 08:32 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,951 times
Except that nearly all elderly people found his skits hilarious. The Carole Burnett Show scored consistently high with the elderly.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Tim was a "generational" comedian. He could make a toddler or grandma laugh. A lot of the really good stand up comedians have left us, the most recent being Robin Williams. Really hard to find those types anymore.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:34 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I despised his numerous skits mocking the elderly/disabled. There's nothing "funny" about walking with a slow, impaired gait, but he seemed to think so. To think he made money off the sufferings of others. When my daughter was 6 years old, she saw one of his "funnies". She said "That's mean". To think a small child knew better
Hmmm.....maybe she didn't know better since I doubt a 6 year old can understand acting or the effort to perform. Good thing you have that open mind and can differentiate.

I adored his talents and his ability to make light of some awkward things we all have in common.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:58 PM

26 posts, read 11,944 times
Rest In Peace

Growing up, my parents always seemed to have the Carol Burnett show lined up as family time. Still remember all those hilarious skits with Tim Conway, etc. while eating orange sherbet ice cream in our den.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:11 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Hmmm.....maybe she didn't know better since I doubt a 6 year old can understand acting or the effort to perform. Good thing you have that open mind and can differentiate.

I adored his talents and his ability to make light of some awkward things we all have in common.
I can't think of a Conway (or Burnett) skit that was as mean-spirited as is common in the NatLamp/SNL world. It was always very much laughing with them, not them laughing at you.

That, IMHO, is what went wrong with MAD Magazine ten years or so ago. They changed from that in-group, come laugh with us model to the NatLamp sneering at everyone who didn't imagine they were one of the insiders. Humor by and for elites, pandering to those who imagined themselves elite.

Conway was just funny even when his characters were pathetic satires.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:02 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
A creative genius if there ever was one. So funny....and he did it the right way by making sure even kids could appreciate his humor.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:36 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Thank you Tim for all the laughter you gave to my late father.

He was a hard worker that rarely let himself sit down and relax, and he was very reserved in nature. However, in the 1970's he would tune into The Carol Burnett Show, and I can still hear his infectious, unabashed chuckling coming from our 1970's era, knotty wood paneled family room to this day. He loved the old man sketches, and he and I laughed together at the sketches with Mrs. Wiggins until we cried. I was about 12 or 13 at the time, but I have never forgotten it.

One of the precious memories I have about my Dad and never will forget. Thanks Tim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts