Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 03:13 PM

236 posts, read 127,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
Dark is my recent fav, but I also loved the SG (Stargate) movies and series. The most recent Lost in Space was also pretty good. I love the FX most, but the storyline needs to be believable, and the actors need to be talented.
Don't flame me but, in some respects, I like Dark a little more than Stranger Things (Puts my hands up to block) I'm just more enamored with the time travel and paradoxical aspect of it. In Dark Season 2, there is one paradox where a mother and daughter actually gave birth to each other via the same time traveling father. Where else can you find that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Black Mirror is the only one of the current crop that will achieve legendary status over time. Simply brilliant, totally unpredictable, not locked into a formula and has extraordinary production values.
I like Black Mirror alot, but I disagree that it is the only one that will achieve lasting status. I think they all will, doesn't have to be one or the other.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:57 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
Doctor Who and Stranger Things are my two current obsessions!

I'm currently watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and I'm thinking Dark might have to be next in the queue.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:39 PM

Just curious, are there any old school Night Gallery fans in the CD house? Most ppl associate Rod Serling with TZone but METv (At&t dish) shows NG every night. This show has definitely grown on me bc it has some very eerie/creepy/ dated looking episodes that have very dusky cloudy cinematography (not simply due to old film).

Old 07-26-2019, 12:03 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PardonTheInterruption View Post
Just curious, are there any old school Night Gallery fans in the CD house? Most ppl associate Rod Serling with TZone but METv (At&t dish) shows NG every night. This show has definitely grown on me..
Yeah, I like Night Gallery.. but I thought the writing and acting on original Twilight Zone was significantly better. Also think the black and white of Twilight Zone enhanced it's surreal mood. The color kinda hurt Night Gallery (?)
My favorite Gallery is the one where a wealthy blind woman briefly regained her sight. peace

Old 07-29-2019, 06:29 AM

27 posts, read 13,671 times
Black Mirror, because every episode is a different story.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Yeah, I like Night Gallery.. but I thought the writing and acting on original Twilight Zone was significantly better. Also think the black and white of Twilight Zone enhanced it's surreal mood. The color kinda hurt Night Gallery (?)
My favorite Gallery is the one where a wealthy blind woman briefly regained her sight. peace
Nothing beats the Zone in my humble opinion. I've seen every episode atleast 2 or 3 times. Serling didn't have complete creative control over NG, so it didnt reach the level of awesomeness that the Zone did.

I'm a little surprised there aren't more people repping Hitchcock. In a couple of the NG episodes, Serling talks about Hitchcock's influence on his own work. One new schooler who reminds me of both AH and RS is Jordan Peele.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:14 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,433,079 times
I watched Night Gallery when it aired years ago on Encore. Liked it but not as much as much as Twilight Zone. I’d watch it again since it’s been so long.

Love Stranger Things and most of Black Mirror. I didn’t really care for Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. One thing I didn’t appreciate was when I opted out of watching the scene where he chops up his dad and it would keep circling back to it until I clicked on it basically forcing me to watch that scene in order to proceed with the movie. Wasn’t a fan of that at all.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:38 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Guys y’all need to watch Altered Carbon on Netflix! FANTASTIC!!! The story is very original, complex and really sucks you in.

With that said I love Black Mirror (White Christmas and San Junipero are my favs).

Can’t wait to watch Season 4 The Expanse on Amazon!!! So glad they picked it up. Solid sci-fi story and great characters! There are so many jaw dropping moments in this show.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:32 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Can’t wait to watch Season 4 The Expanse on Amazon!!! So glad they picked it up. Solid sci-fi story and great characters! There are so many jaw dropping moments in this show.
Couldn't agree more. I've come across the show because of the fans' uproar when it was cancelled. Thought I'd give it a chance (it reminded me of how Firefly fans mourned its cancellation, and I absolutely love Firefly, so it couldn't be that bad, right?). And I have to say it absolutely blew me away. Everything from the detective noir style of the first series, Belter Creole, and the whole tilting at windmills motif to the strength of the three-pronged plot and its superb cast. The show was an absolute masterpiece. And I cannot wait until the new season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts