Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2021, 06:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times

Advertisements

I have watched many subtitled movies on Amazon video, but I notice many times that even if the people are speaking a foreign language, the music in the movie is in English. Why is that?

Right now I'm watching Offshore on Amazon, and it's a good example of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 10:49 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Default Why do many foreign movies have English music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have watched many subtitled movies on Amazon video, but I notice many times that even if the people are speaking a foreign language, the music in the movie is in English. Why is that?

Right now I'm watching Offshore on Amazon, and it's a good example of it.
Good question. I wonder if it is common for people overseas to listen to music in English not just in movies but in real life as well?

Sometimes this maybe because many countries have a small market in their own language, there is just less music available say in Swedish or Bulgarian then it is in English.

Another possible reason is that English might be identified as the language of certain kinds of international music, especially rock and roll, which basically started in England and was greatly spread by America.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:39 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Perhaps because it is hard to subtitle the music score and not have it confused with the actual dialog and English is said to be the world's second language.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:47 AM

36 posts, read 26,031 times
Songs in English are widely used in foreign films, because it is a universal language that is understood all over the world (except, perhaps, China and several other countries).

Old 01-14-2021, 08:36 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Perhaps because it is hard to subtitle the music score and not have it confused with the actual dialog and English is said to be the world's second language.
I’ve seen subtitled music as well, it usually has little notes at the beginning and end to let you know it’s music.

I have even seen German movies with all English music. Just seems weird for people to be speaking German, and then the music start playing in English.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:25 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,899,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Good question. I wonder if it is common for people overseas to listen to music in English not just in movies but in real life as well?

Sometimes this maybe because many countries have a small market in their own language, there is just less music available say in Swedish or Bulgarian then it is in English.

Another possible reason is that English might be identified as the language of certain kinds of international music, especially rock and roll, which basically started in England and was greatly spread by America.
Don't you have that backward?

Old 01-17-2021, 07:49 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I’ve seen subtitled music as well, it usually has little notes at the beginning and end to let you know it’s music.

I have even seen German movies with all English music. Just seems weird for people to be speaking German, and then the music start playing in English.
I suspect that this is a relic of being an American (I'm one, too) whose native tongue is that which is the most culturally dominant globally. But a German movie would target German speakers, right? Well, a majority of German nationals speak English, and the rate of English fluency is even higher in Austria and Switzerland, the next two countries with the most German speakers. I suspect the rate of English-speaking among Germans is even higher in the dominant movie-going demographic (people in their 20s and 30s). So while the number of truly fluent German speakers among those of us who are native English speakers is probably less than 1% (I'm not including those who took German in high school but have never really used it in any real way), whereas well over half of all Germans speak English (and probably some more are not fluent but can understand it) because English permeates the global culture but German does not.

So a song by the Beatles or U2 or Taylor Swift in a German movie probably doesn't seem unusual at all (I looked it up - the Beatles had more than 30 top-ten hits, U2, nine top-two albums, and Taylor Swift five top-ten singles ... on the German charts). Conversely, I can think of only five German artists (from Germany or Austria or performing largely in German): The Scorpions, Falco, Nena, Opus, Laibach. Between them, I count a mere three top-ten hits in the U.S. (Winds of Change, Rock Me Amadeus, 99 Luftballoons), only one of which was sung in German.

Thus, while it would indeed be odd for some mainstream Hollywood film to feature German-language music, it must be totally normal for the German film industry to use English-language music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Don't you have that backward?
More or less. Rock and roll's origins are American. However, it is perhaps worth noting that rock and roll was petering out as a popular music form in the U.S. in the late 50s and into the 60s. But it was thriving in Britain, and came roaring back across the Atlantic with the British Invasion led by the Beatles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts