Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 02:46 PM

985 posts, read 540,012 times

Advertisements

I still watch some shows but youtube and sports make up the largest portion of my viewing. My last few favs have been Westworld, Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency and Big Mouth.

As for movies I'm a huge fan but have not seen a movie that really moved me in a long long time. The Dallas Buyers Club is the last movie I saw that really grabbed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 05:57 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,146,060 times
I don't watch them, but can't help but glimpse and hear what a family member watches.

The most annoying aspect is that there is always music in the background in the shows, as though it's impossible to have a scene with just talking, or the sounds of nature, or even just silence. How fake is that? We don't have music constantly around us 24/7. The music sometimes makes no sense for the scene, and instead is obviously from the personal playlist of someone on the show. And the acting is pathetic and laughable too, with the dumbest of lines spoken. Seems like teenagers or 20-somethings writing all the scripts.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-22-2021 at 06:12 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 03:24 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,232,643 times
When it comes to "drama", I tend to prefer non-fiction. Human interest stories really appeal to me, as I generally find real people more interesting than characters. I think that's one thing I like about documentaries, or a docu-series - the realness. Each episode is a different subject, person/place/thing. + They're educational, you get to 'travel', mentally, see new things, so you will learn something about Life and the world that exists beyond the self.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:37 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
The only series I like any more are mainly the Alaska shows, Life Below Zero, Alaska, the Last Frontier, etc.
I'm partial to watching old shows, and series, on roku. I've watched the first season of the Dick Van Dyke Show, Dragnet, and other old shows like that. Can't find much of the newer shows that are, to me, worth watching.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:34 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
I remember the TV Guide when they were showing The Werewolf on Kolchak: The Night Stalker ........ "Last show of the series. Next week (something) in this time slot." I was very disappointed to read that.

Well, right now, my TV watching is sort of like that with "Last show of the season.". I finished Season 1 of Bitten last week....and started watching Friday the 13th: The Series on Friday night. I finished Kill Joys, Season 2, and next week, I'll watch something else on Saturday night (haven't decided yet). In June or so, I finished the first season of Dark Matter and put the rest of the series in hiatus although now that summer is done, it is plausible to be picked again.

Further, I am getting a little better at returning DVDs to the upstairs library as oppose to having them sitting around in stacks around the TV......at least this week.

Where does the time go?......for that is the basic point that for whatever TV show I have selected in watching that night, I barely have the time and energy to watch more than one that night.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:39 PM

41 posts, read 18,352 times
I like TV series that have the beginning and the ending. Today a lot of series have one season that ends with a cliffhanger and never gets another season. Or they film a limited series and due to its popularity they start to add seasons one after another as long as the series is popular and then often end it abruptly once it loses its popularity.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:31 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astria View Post
I like TV series that have the beginning and the ending. Today a lot of series have one season that ends with a cliffhanger and never gets another season. Or they film a limited series and due to its popularity they start to add seasons one after another as long as the series is popular and then often end it abruptly once it loses its popularity.
Or the TV Network does it to them like Fox and Sliders. Putting aside the pattern of Fox that lead to me and them parting ways around 2000, when they did bring the show back for another season, it was 10 months later and much of the excitement had been forgotten.

As it is, either between abrupt endings or the show changes so radically that it is no longer fun, I have learned to end them when I prefer and ........ "they went off to live happily ever after, fighting evil in another dimension.".

On other fronts, I started The Invaders (1967) as my weekly sci fi series.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:35 PM

230 posts, read 119,562 times
Three of this generation I can stand:

Goliath (Just ended... probably)**
Ozark
Better Call Saul

**OK, now here's the hunch. Even though Billy Bob Thornton says he's done with Goliath, if you saw the movie "El Camino" on Netflix... it was a sequel to Breaking Bad that didn't have Walter or Saul in it. The rest of the actors from Goliath have expressed interest in doing something Goliath-centric in the future. Which sounds like how Breaking Bad did a sequel with no Walter or Saul or Hank or Skyler, etc. I would gladly watch a Goliath sequel movie even without Billy Bob. Nina Arianda won a Tony Award in 2012, she can carry the weight as the star. Superb veteran actress.

Old 10-18-2021, 03:12 AM

27,154 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Is anyone else out there not a big fan of TV series (shows with multiple episodes and multiple season) as compared to "one-offs" where it is just one episode, like a documentary or movie?

When I was a kid I loved watching a lot of series like A-team, Greatest American Hero, and all other 80's classics.

As I got older, I guess I had less patience to sit through multiple episodes. If a series is really compelling, then I'll watch the whole thing. Like The Walking Dead for example, I watched the first three seasons in a matter of days. Or Mindhunter. It does help that many series are on streaming services so you could watch entire seasons.

But these days, on Netflix or Amazon, I only watch movies or documentaries. I skip anything that shows it being a series. Some documentaries have multiple episodes, usually around 3-4, and I'm okay with that.
The problem is when series, go on and on and on, and there are far too many episodes, and they end up more like a soap opera than a series.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:39 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The problem is when series, go on and on and on, and there are far too many episodes, and they end up more like a soap opera than a series.
That's something I liked about Schitt's Creek. The characters advanced and grew and the series came to a satisfying conclusion and didn't drag on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts