Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2022, 04:20 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 19 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times

Advertisements

My NeighMy Neighbour Totoro will play s 15-week season from 8 October 2022 - 21 January 2023 at London's Barbican Theatre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KvWZIpw_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

Royal Shakespeare Company’s version of celebrated Studio Ghibli movie will be first opening ‘of this scale’ in nearly 40 years

The Royal Shakespeare Company is to stage an adaptation of the celebrated Japanese animation feature film, My Neighbour Totoro, in a production it promises will be ambitious and spectacular.

The 1988 film became a global success after Netflix acquired the rights to 21 movies from Studio Ghibli, the Japanese animation giant, in 2020. The world premiere of the stage adaptation, directed by Phelim McDermott and featuring puppets created by Basil Twist, will have a limited run of 15 weeks at the Barbican from October until January.

Erica Whyman, the RSC’s acting artistic director, said: “Adapting this deeply loved magical story for the stage is the next chapter in our longstanding commitment to making spectacular and accessible productions that see the world through the eyes of children.” She expected the show would attract “a wide range of theatre audiences as well as loyal fans of the original film”.

The stage version of My Neighbour Totoro will be the RSC’s first opening “of this scale” since Les Miserables in 1985, said an RSC spokesperson. Les Mis has won multiple awards, as has the RSC’s production of Matilda the Musical, its adaptation of the popular Roald Dahl book.

RSC to stage adaptation of animated fantasy film My Neighbour Totoro - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-30-2022 at 04:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 06:18 AM

My Neighbor Totoro is a 1988 Japanese animated fantasy film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and animated by Studio Ghibli for Tokuma Shoten.

Here's the trailer for the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJC1qciW_3k

Old 05-21-2022, 05:50 AM

Record Sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsOnStage

The RSC's previously announced world premiere production of My Neighbhour Totoro has broken the Barbican's box office record.

Following yesterday's opening of public booking, the hotly anticipated stage adaptation of Studio Ghibli's animated film smashed the record for ticket sales in one day, previously held by the 2015 Benedict Cumberbatch-led production of Hamlet.

Head of theatre and dance at the Barbican, Toni Racklin, commented: "We're absolutely blown away by the response from the public to tickets going on general sale for the RSC's stage adaptation of My Neighbour Totoro yesterday. We knew that this ambitious international collaboration would be an exciting prospect, and for so many tickets to be sold in one day is truly tremendous. We can't wait to present this stunning show in our theatre this autumn to audiences so obviously keen to be part of the Studio Ghibli phenomenon."

My Neighbour Totoro breaks Barbican box office record - WhatsOnStage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts