Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 04:17 PM

1,191 posts, read 615,484 times

Advertisements

Many times (friends have called me psychic), I can predict what's going to happen even when there are no hints. Not only in movies but in real life as well.

I don't know why this is, but it is. Perhaps your wife is a bit psychic as well. A don't think it's a gender issue.

FWIW: I did see Otto which I liked but didn't see Ove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 04:52 PM

50,332 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
This phenomenon is almost driving me crazy. What could be the explanation?

My wife and I watch about three movies a week in the early afternoon. I am intelligent, educated and with an excellent memory.

Yesterday we watched "A Man Called Otto" with Tom Hanks. My wife recalled that we had watched the Swedish movie "A Man Called Ove" on which it is closely based. I thought we might have watched it but had no recollection.

As we watched "Otto" my wife knew absolutely everything that was going to happen from having watched "Ove." It was all new to me. Today we watched "Ove." At no point did I have any recollection of ever having seen it. My wife knew what was going to happen and even what characters were going to say.

This happens again and again and again. It isn't because my wife is a movie savant or has a photographic memory, because exactly the same thing used to happen with my first wife who passed away.

Possibly a male/female thing? I feel like I get pretty absorbed in movies, but apparently they are completely forgotten ten days later while my wife has very specific recall years later.

(FWIW, IMO "Ove" is superior to "Otto" in every way.)
It’s not about movies, necessarily, but my husband has a thing he does, where he says what is going to happen next. It’s very aggravating, because he’s always right.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
We hav been married 50+ yrs and went to movies almost every weekend until CoVid hit—that’s a lot of movies—
I love movies
My husband can watch a movie on streaming/tv and not remember seeing it in the theater even if it was recent—some movies like “inglorius Bastards” of course he remembers seeing but others not so much…

On the other hand, if I am near but not watching, I can hear a movie theme or a line of dialogue or characters’ voices and ask “is that X movie” and most of time I am right
(He never seems amazed at this talent of mine)

His memory for other things like a golf round or our first phone number or how old our first dog was when he died is great—impeccable even at times—

I think it is just that he doesn’t care that much—
He also doesn’t read fiction which to me is something akin to watching movies
But at least he can usually find something to watch…

Old 10-26-2023, 10:25 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times
My friend mentioned recently having seen a movie in the theater. I pointed out that the movie he referred to was out roughly a year ago, which made him realize he'd watched it at home. It seemed odd to me that someone would make that mistake with a movie he just saw.

Old 10-30-2023, 06:49 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
The first thing that comes to mind is the movies you're watching are not that great. Watch Point Blank or The Hunger sometime, you'll remember them! FWIW, I rarely watch films made after the year 2000 because I can't stand the look of digitally made movies (I'm a photographer and artist, it's painful seeing the poor resolution and washed out colors of digital compared to film), and really, there have been few really good films made since then.

Old 11-13-2023, 04:06 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
well, i watched movies at the drive-in that i do not remember.
i was somewhat distracted.

Old 11-30-2023, 07:57 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
Many times (friends have called me psychic), I can predict what's going to happen even when there are no hints. Not only in movies but in real life as well.

I don't know why this is, but it is. Perhaps your wife is a bit psychic as well. A don't think it's a gender issue.

FWIW: I did see Otto which I liked but didn't see Ove.
My DH is uncanny when it comes to predicting when someone is going to get shot. I know that movie directors sometimes give clues such as a change of tempo or mood or music but I am surprised when I don't pick up on it and he nails it.

He was also very good at predicting bar fights when everything seemed copacetic to me. Steering me to the door just before a fight. Maybe it had something to do with growing up with six brothers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts