Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 11:08 AM

1,230 posts, read 988,568 times

Advertisements

I watch lot of movies and TV shows of 90s and before and never really had problem like this, but seems blue ray you can never hear people talking and have to turn the volume up to 70 or higher, but sound effects and other sound get very loud at even 20 so unless you don’t want to wake up the people next door you always turning the TV volume up when they talk and turn the volume down when they are not talking.

Why is Hollywood doing this? Why is it you have to turn the volume up to 70 or higher to hear them? But all other sounds get very loud at volume 20?

With blue ray it like you can never hear people talking and have to turn the volume up to 70 or higher to hear them. But all other sounds get so loud it is like you want to wake everyone up on your street at even volume 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 11:40 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Some people have clear voices. I can understand them easily.
Some folks don't speak clearly, or they have an accent. They are hard to understand.
Many of the newer tv's don't have good speakers in them.
They need more volume.

Some movies i use closed captioning.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
When we bought our first flat-screen TV we found right away that we needed a good sound bar with a woofer. If you are using just speakers on the TV then there isn't much you can do to help. A good soundbar has settings to "tune" for the type of show, music, movie, sports or voice enhancement, for example.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:22 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When we bought our first flat-screen TV we found right away that we needed a good sound bar with a woofer. If you are using just speakers on the TV then there isn't much you can do to help. A good soundbar has settings to "tune" for the type of show, music, movie, sports or voice enhancement, for example.
This. We have an inexpensive sound bar and it makes a huge difference.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-24-2024, 01:34 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Closed captioning has become a standard for me. I know it makes me look old, but at least I know what the people are saying.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:53 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
I'm actually glad to see this thread. I thought it was just me.

It seems to be that actors today speak in a more realistic volume level...for everyday talking. Not necessarily good for a movie.

And if they are a foreign actor with an accent, even worse. I have a horrible time with some of the great British stuff.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:07 PM

We almost always have subtitles on, it's just a habit now. We're not hard of hearing, it's just a back up if we missed some word, and it's great for when there are accents.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I stopped watching movies from Hollywood back in the late 80's. Very occasionally I will find a good movie made after that, but it seldom happens.

1- I can't stand the way digital looks. My artist/photographer eyes look at it and thinks, where is the detail, the saturated color? Digital is cheap to make and cheap to edit. Not so a film movie

2- the incessant, glorified, gratuitous violence. It's sickening. The earlier movies may have used violence, but they used it to move the story along. That has totally changed

3- the lack of great actors, scripts and genius directors. It's impossible to imagine a movie like Dr Strangelove being made today or even on the last 20 years. The quality of people and the level of creativity is long gone.

4- the loss of American star power and studios. The big players are the Japanese now, who own Columbia Pictures through their parent company Sony. Some corporation or another, usually foreign, owns not only the studios but he theaters as well. When you go to see a movie now you're simply consuming a consumable, just like that $15 bag of popcorn.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:13 PM

5,653 posts, read 3,139,106 times
I wonder how much the mid-Atlantic accent ( and more importantly I guess, the lack thereof) has anything to do with this topic as well.

In the old Hollywood movies, actors and actresses were taught to use the Mid-Atlantic accent up into the 50's. People don't do that anymore.

I don't think it's the ONLY contributing factor, but I wonder if it's one of them.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I wonder how much the mid-Atlantic accent ( and more importantly I guess, the lack thereof) has anything to do with this topic as well.

In the old Hollywood movies, actors and actresses were taught to use the Mid-Atlantic accent up into the 50's. People don't do that anymore.

I don't think it's the ONLY contributing factor, but I wonder if it's one of them.
I had heard about that too, thanks for the reminder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts