Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 04:33 PM

19,625 posts, read 12,218,208 times

Advertisements

I don't like when there is prolonged or constant background atmosphere music, at any volume. It takes my concentration away from the dialog.

Agree with the dark scenes, and mumbling - uh I can't see or hear what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 02:32 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
I laugh when the police yell to the suspect who is across the street “Stop!”. Of course the suspect starts running…

Old 03-25-2024, 02:43 PM

505 posts, read 263,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTzen View Post
While watching a movie/series, all I really want is …

A straight story with a beginning, a middle and an end. Cut down on flashbacks and flashforwards - they’re annoying in excess.

Way fewer dark/semi dark interiors. Turn on the lights! Are the characters trying to save on their electric bills?!

No tints, please - blue, green, brown or any other color. Show us true color. If you must tint, make it subtle, like in The Godfather.

No shaky camera.

No sudden, short zooms or changes in focus. Are you listening, Succession?

TV series: I love series that tell one complete story per episode. I don’t like shows where they make you watch 10 episodes to find out who did it. Such shows invariably drag. If you must stretch the story out to multiple episodes, hold my attention by moving it along, like 24 did.

Keep music at the same audio level as dialogue.

Same with commercials. When the volume suddenly rises, most of us hit the mute button anyway.

What are your likes/dislikes?
All of the above, except I don't mind a story that takes 10 episodes, if otherwise entertaining. Just watched the first season of Harrow ( Australian ). One story per episode, plus an underlying story that takes 10 episodes to play out. And a great cliffhanger at the end of the season.

That said, I hate series that get cancelled before "resolution" and I hate it when a great show has an ending that is absurd ( like St. Elsewhere ).

More reasons I dislike shows others have already mentioned, like glorifying bad behavior. Not to mention graphical sex and/or violence. I do not need to be entertained in that way. Oh, and mindless drivel. Seems like so many shows are for adults with a mentality of a three-year-old.

Some may not like non-English language shows with sub-titles, but I don't mind them at all. I watch a lot of French, German, and Scandanavian shows with sub-titles. And I turn on the sub-titles for most British shows also, especially with Scottish or Welsh accents.

Old 03-25-2024, 03:00 PM

505 posts, read 263,398 times
The thing I dislike the most about modern shows/networks/streaming platforms, is telling me what I should like or watch. They never get it right, not for me. I am not some mindless idiot who needs to be told what to do every step along the way. And my interests cannot be gleaned from what I watch, because shows that "they" think are similar are to me very different.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:03 PM

1,216 posts, read 511,924 times
Terrible casting. I tried to get through a few episodes of this sci fi TV show for around 2016-17, The Crossing. They had Steve Zahn playing a county Sherrif. If it was a comedy you could do this but his role is awful.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:25 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post

I also won't watch anything that has the camera swirling around so fast that you can't focus on any one thing. That goes hand in hand with the shaky camera filming.
Oh Boy I second that! Hand held cameras make me nauseous.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:07 AM

13,379 posts, read 369,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I laugh when the police yell to the suspect who is across the street “Stop!”. Of course the suspect starts running…
…….Running down the center of the road….hard not to see

Old 04-02-2024, 10:44 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Gratuitous vulgarity that is not justified by the plot. Just poor script writing.

Old 04-04-2024, 04:42 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
It an instant deal breaker if its dubbed over. No matter how good the reviews are, I just cant do it.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:58 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't like when there is prolonged or constant background atmosphere music, at any volume. It takes my concentration away from the dialog.

Agree with the dark scenes, and mumbling - uh I can't see or hear what's going on.
I agree with all of this but especially the "background" music which is almost a character in itself! We watched Scoop a few nights ago and the "creepy" music (that's how closed captioning described it) was ridiculous.

We watch almost everything with cc on now even though our hearing is fine. The mumbling or music playing over dialogue almost makes it necessary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts