Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:10 PM

317 posts, read 373,686 times

Advertisements

Have also posted this on Mexico branch of citydata. I'm curious as to how retirement in Spain vs. Mexico works out for North Americans. Was recently in Costa del Sol and it very much looks like Santa Barbara, CA - Northern Baja also looks like California coast. Both areas have many retirees - this is about 5- 10 years away for me (retirement) but both areas look attractive. I'm fluent in Spanish - although not necessary to live in either area with so many expats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Costa del Sol, particularly Marbella, seems to me a bit like Santa Barbara as well, at a much lower cost. The below site provides information on visas. So provided you meet the means test, you can live in Spain on a non lucrative Visa.

Spain Visa and Residency Information

Mexico also has some nice areas and I believe the requirements to retire are less stringent. Of course, crime is a much bigger issue in Mexico than Spain.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:11 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,090 times
I posted some information on the non-lucrative visa (i'm currently living in Spain on this visa) here:

long term visa/residency France, Italy Spain

Feel free to PM me if you want any more information.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:47 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
Since *you* like to live in either Mexico or Spain, first question why a foreign country ...

Maybe you are the traveling kind ?
OK then in Mexico, where else would you go from there ?
In Spain, you could go to so many other European countries !

Kind of a moot question, no ?

You *live* in China today ?
You do seem to to know the California coast pretty well, but did not mention any place in Spain ...
With *fluent* Spanish, I would not (in either country) live/retire anywhere, close to *expats* !!
I have visited both countries, and rather *retire* in Spain, and in the *country*, as a rhetorical question.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:02 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,999 times
Spain has a lot of British/German retirees whereas Mexico/Latin America will have more Canadian/American retirees.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:34 AM

426 posts, read 394,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Have also posted this on Mexico branch of citydata. I'm curious as to how retirement in Spain vs. Mexico works out for North Americans. Was recently in Costa del Sol and it very much looks like Santa Barbara, CA - Northern Baja also looks like California coast. Both areas have many retirees - this is about 5- 10 years away for me (retirement) but both areas look attractive. I'm fluent in Spanish - although not necessary to live in either area with so many expats.

Just get into an Italian forum, they know every country were to retire even thogh they favour Latin America. Also English forums, they know were to travel away from Costa del Sol or Benidorm, also Dutch. They do favour Goa, Thailand, etc. Spain now is as boring as the US, unfortunately.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:22 AM

21 posts, read 19,227 times
Spain is better anyway but it also depands on what climate/ weather you prefer and if its important for you.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:31 AM

251 posts, read 396,284 times
Why on earth would anyone want to retire in a 3rd world country like Mexico, where corruption, crimes and poverty are rampant

Old 03-13-2016, 08:39 AM

426 posts, read 394,079 times
People in Europe are moving to Latin America, Italians, a lot of them.
Scandinavians, Dutch, Thailand, also Latin America.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:43 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,003 times
If you prefer it tropical/subtropical, go to Mexico.
If you settle for warm temperate (but with a winter), choose Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe