Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

Anywhere else in Europe with very low population density like these parts of Spain?

What are those areas like? Are they basically giant plantations or ranches? Or just untouched wilderness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL8XPZp4-5c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 10:10 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
Spain has a lot of rugged mountain areas, and some desert areas in the south too. Just like in California, the most populous state in the US, that means a high percentage of the land has low population density. Any other country in Europe with rugged mountain areas will also have low population density in those regions. Romania with the Carpathian Mountains comes to mind.

Germany, aside from the Alps stretching across southern Bavaria, has relatively little land that is too rugged to restrict human habitation. I live in the eastern part of Germany in Saxony state, not far north of the border with Czechia. The Ore Mountains that run along this border region are not so rugged and there are villages or small towns every few kilometers in all directions. It does not feel like a heavily populated area, once I get a short distance outside of any of the larger cities. I ride my bicycle around the rural roads of the region and enjoy the lack of vehicle traffic in most places.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:18 AM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
The Nordic states of Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Finland all have the lowest population densities of any European country.
https://www.indexmundi.com/map/?v=21000&r=eu&l=en
Much of Scandinavia consists of rocks and ice, and is very poorly suited for agriculture - very little top soil, and it's’s also too dark and too cold for growing crops: in most of the country, even the hardiest plants will only grow for about 4-5 months of the year.

Here is a good article that explains density in Europe.

Spain has a population density of 93 people per km², giving the impression of a sparsely populated country. This is borne out in the map, where much of Spain appears to be empty; much more so than any other large European country.
Spain contains within it more than 505,000 1km squares. But only 13% of them are lived in.
This means that the "lived density" for Spain is in fact 737 people per km², rather than 93. So even though the settlement pattern appears sparse, people are actually quite tightly packed together.
In fact, Spain could claim to be the most densely populated major European country by this measure, despite its appearance on the map.

To find out why - read here:
https://phys.org/news/2018-01-reveal...ty-europe.html

Old 06-14-2022, 07:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
Southern Italy has lots of lovely bucolic quiet. Bulgaria seems depopulated.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:13 AM

572 posts, read 279,911 times
Ireland is somewhat like Spain. About 33% of the total island population of 6M, lives within about 50-75 KM of Dublin. Many of the remaining counties have population densities below 50 per sq km, with several in the 30's.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:59 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Lol...I watched this same video the other night!

That belt though the middle of Spain continues into France, and there is another video on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTgwv6Ic3fA

Old 06-15-2022, 06:38 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
the Cevennes area in south center France is pretty desolate (and gorgeous)

Old 06-16-2022, 03:55 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
I've driven across Bulgaria twice and I don't remember going through a single town. Stayed in Lom once, right on the Romanian border. Was looking forward to Veliko Trnovo but the road skirted around it. Once I thought I was lost, when the road trickled down to a one lane wooden bridge, but ten miles more. back on at least pavement. Quietest peaceful country, hours of cuckoos and cowbells. In those days, couple trucks an hour, no cars.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:42 PM

402 posts, read 274,147 times
Yes, Bulgaria is like that outside of cities. The problem is that no one or few people are living there so there are these "gang"-like groups of Roma people who go and pillage what's left over. Especially in the poorest NorthWest region but increasingly everywhere. Heck, even some cities like Pazardzik and Ruse are increasingly less Bulgarian and more Roma.

They even beat old people and there were some incidents of rapes of old grannies, imagine that! It might look peaceful and quiet, but it's really not. Oh and if you shoot a person who got into your property to steal something, you're going to jail.

Anyway, there are also some almost empty areas in Southern Poland, Northern and Eastern Slovakia and Western Ukraine.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:19 AM

402 posts, read 274,147 times
As already said Bulgaria and Romania have vast almost empty areas. Same for the Baltic states, Sweden, Norway and Finland where most people live in the capitals and large cities in the south and the interior parts of Greece and Portugal. But I'd like to mention Austria. Due to the Alps there are vast (but hilly) areas with only a few people:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._-_Austria.png

Here there's a strip with lighter shade (lower density) than even Bulgaria and around it it's the same color as in Bulgarian least dense provinces:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...European_Union
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe