Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 09:02 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

Dont notice a difference in either

Im not fatter
Im not more muscular
No change in diet (i eat healthy … grilled chicken & green, no sweets, no carbs)
Exercise like a mad woman

So what is it?

I’m also 40. Maybe it’s just being 40?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 11:04 PM

287 posts, read 363,041 times
Do a body fat composition test. Should have done one before you started working out to get a baseline, but if you do one now you'll at least see if you are above or below average. From my research I found that a DEXA scan is the most accurate measurement of body fat percentage. They aren't cheap but they are pretty accurate.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:37 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Are you saying a 1 pound gain in weight? The body is 60% water and fluctuates constantly. The mirror tells you the truth. If you are not looking fatter and are not looking more muscular, you probably are at your standard body composition. I wouldn't worry about the scale.

We don't even own one. I step on one occasionally at the gym. If for some reason I am looking smooth or fluffier than normal, it is time to tighten up things a bit until the fluffiness goes away.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:19 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
It could be water weight, but a low-carb diet is diuretic, so unless you've been cheating lately with extra carbs, there shouldn't be a water-weight gain. I think 40 is too young for it to be "just being 40". Is this a new diet/exercise regime? Maybe there's been some initial muscle gain, then. How long have you been at this?

What you should notice over time (assuming you're getting extra protein, to support the building of lean muscle mass), is that you're getting trimmer; you're losing fat, balding muscle, which for women usually means getting slim and wiry. If you're only in the first few weeks of your regime, that may not be noticeable yet.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:19 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Are you saying a 1 pound gain in weight? The body is 60% water and fluctuates constantly. The mirror tells you the truth. If you are not looking fatter and are not looking more muscular, you probably are at your standard body composition. I wouldn't worry about the scale.

We don't even own one. I step on one occasionally at the gym. If for some reason I am looking smooth or fluffier than normal, it is time to tighten up things a bit until the fluffiness goes away.
I agree. My weight varies a lot more than 1 lb. from day to day. The only thing I'm really concerned about is my waist size. It is probably not a good idea to get on a scale everyday.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:26 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
I weigh myself everyday and watch the trend more than the daily weights.taking a picture of yourself every month and comparing them is helpful.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:47 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
The one I have is way expensive now. The cheaper may be good enough, since the general trend is what you are looking for.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HBF-306C-...erId=101035162

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/bmi-handheld

Old 03-11-2022, 09:06 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Im not fatter
Im not more muscular
No change in diet (i eat healthy … grilled chicken & green, no sweets, no carbs)

So what is it?

I’m much older than you and I’m about 4 years into my exercise program and I don’t concentrate on what the scale says. How do your clothes feel? How is your strength? This is what I monitor.

When I first started, I realized after 6 months or so, my clothes had a better “drape.” My weight went up and down 1 to 3 lbs—I knew this only because I was weighed at my doctors’ appointments.

The past year, I’ve seen more of a change—I’ve only lost 5 lbs. or so, but the my clothes fit me as if I’m about 10 lbs. lighter, and I attribute that to the weight training and development.

Good luck, keep at it! It becomes a healthy habit!

Old 03-11-2022, 03:35 PM

185 posts, read 135,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Im not fatter
Im not more muscular

So what is it?

We can't build muscle that fast, so how long has this been? How do you look naked in the mirror? How do your tight clothes fit? Instead of using weight as your measurement, try using a tape measure.

Old 03-12-2022, 06:27 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Calipers are good for measuring body fat. Inexpensive, too. You measure your body fat as a baseline, then measure periodically to gauge whether your fat is increasing, staying the same, or decreasing. If your weight increases but your body fat stays the same or decreases, the add'l weight is due to water retention or increased muscle.

I have one of those little reading tools that you hold in front of you, and it gives a digital reading of body fat. It may or may not be accurate as to % of body fat, but if you use it consistently, you can compare your current reading % with prior ones to know if fat is the same, less, or more. Mine was inexpensive and I think it's a handy tool. My fat % did decrease a bit after starting to work out with weights. When I stopped, it went back up. So I think it's generally accurate enough for my purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness