Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 08:32 AM

6,480 posts, read 7,837,634 times

Advertisements

Why would someone buy TRT type products via retailers rather than get real TRT through their doctor?

I see all the men’s TRT ads in Facebook and other places and always wonder. I just had my blood tested and am fine with my levels but if I wasn’t, why would anyone buy through unreliable suppliers rather than a trusted source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 09:02 AM

9,493 posts, read 8,481,491 times
A lot of these places offer virtual consultations and mail order testosterone so it's probably as much about convenience as anything else. And if your health insurance does not cover it (they typically don't unless your T levels are very low) that's even less of an incentive to go to a doctor's office for it.

It's a bit like the same reason men order ED meds online instead of going to a doctor - it's easier/faster and there is less embarrassment vs. having to face some pharmacist in line with a half dozen people in line behind you.

I am unsure how they monitor bloodwork though, if at all. That's the one reason I go to a licensed physician for mine. I like having my bloodwork checked regularly in case anything goes out of range. They might still be required to have it done, they just have it delivered to their online TRT provider instead.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:47 PM

21,967 posts, read 25,327,485 times
More.

Real doctors will generally only treat low testosterone and generally only bring it up to normal range. The testosterone mills will treat normal testosterone and bring it up to the upper end of normal and often much over. Huberman as an example has stated he went from 800 to 1,400 ng/dl when he was on the gear. Your regular doctor isn't gonna juice you that much but it wouldn't be hard to find a TRT mill that will.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-10-2024 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-10-2024, 01:06 PM

14,576 posts, read 23,133,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
why would anyone buy through unreliable suppliers rather than a trusted source?
What do you believe makes them unreliable and untrusted?

Old 05-11-2024, 06:54 PM

10,400 posts, read 8,636,021 times
I think mail order have places they recommend to get the blood work done and results sent to them.
A lot of doctors are reluctant to give you trt. Mine was and I had only 220.
He tried to give me. Cream which is not a good method. I insisted on a shot and he gave me to low of a dose and only once a month.
He had no idea what he was doing.
After a while my level dropped even lower.
I’m at a clinic now.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I think mail order have places they recommend to get the blood work done and results sent to them.
A lot of doctors are reluctant to give you trt. Mine was and I had only 220.
He tried to give me. Cream which is not a good method. I insisted on a shot and he gave me to low of a dose and only once a month.
He had no idea what he was doing.
After a while my level dropped even lower.
I’m at a clinic now.
That's probably another reason why so many go to the clinics, they can get on TRT without being truly below normal. Mine was not terribly low for someone my age but low compared to the average 30 year old, which is about where I wanted to be.

Old 05-17-2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
What do you believe makes them unreliable and untrusted?
They're uknown companies advertising on places like Facebook and late night shoot 'em up shows/movies. It could be my uncle fred who mixes Koolade with Tang in his basement and puts it in a bottle with a label. So I guess because there is no regulatory body that ok's the content (as far as I know).

They don't need to go through the FDA approval or anything like that (as far as I know). I mean it's not like it's being manufactured and distributed by Proctor & Gamble.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:29 PM

The FDA does regulate testosterone. It's still considered a schedule III controlled substance so even if the pop-up labs look sketchy, the actual testosterone is regulated and I'm confident the providers all need to have the proper licensing to be able to write prescriptions and/or distribute it.

Having said that, these labs will give it to just about anyone they deem to have low T. Their comparisons are probably to an average 22 year old though, whereas a true medical MD would likely use the patient's own age group as a baseline, which is why it's harder to get through them.

Old 05-19-2024, 09:11 AM

It’s the source I am taking about. When an MD writes an Rx, the source of the testosterone is more reliable because it is regulated. The on line sources aren’t filling those Rx’s with their product. Why? Because they’re not as vetted. I haven’t looked but there are likely qualifying statements on the packaging of the on line stores. They could be fine, but we don’t know. Probably has statements like “these statements haven’t been evaluated by the FDA” and things like that. I don’t know, when I put something into my body, I want to minimize risk and it’s not like they’re being distributed through CVS or someone that has a reputation/brand to protect. We’re not talking about a pair of socks here. It’s something that people are putting in their bodies and for that, it’s better to go through scrutinized sources rather than a “trust me bro” on line company that uses sexual innuendo to advertise and sell.

If your kid needed medicine, would you get an Rx from a doctor and then get it at a pharmacy or would you be ok ordering from an on line place that you never heard of and don’t k iw anything about how they ensure safety and effectiveness? Who knows what’s in those vials?!

Old 05-19-2024, 03:06 PM

4,273 posts, read 3,198,511 times
I had my Testosterone measured last year (at my request) as I didn't feel I had the "drive" I used to have. Came back fine (mid range) except my "free" testosterone which was very, very low....even for someone my age (early 70's). At the same time my blood sugar has started trending up. Doctor is willing to give me whatever method of delivery I prefer however, I believe Medicare only covers shots. Will probably initially go with the shots and if that works, probably migrate to the patch (at my expense). Looking forward to seeing if there is any difference in how I feel or if blood sugar drops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness