Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 05:02 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,921 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what was going on up your way given what I've been seeing/hearing about in other states--holy cow. Y'all take care, OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 12:32 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
The alert that our safety officer sent out at seven this morning said 16 inches, at which point I was like OK WELL WHAT'S NEXT. This one is moderately less offensive.

I am good with insanely cold and tons of snow - that's just all part of the program, but this is some other-level bs. Like we pissed off the weather gods or something.

Thanks for the tip on the tool, Ray! I'll go by AIH and see if I can pick one up. I usually use a regular kitchen style broom to sweep the snow off my truck at home because it's usually light and loose, and the handle is long enough for me to be able to get the roof of the cab and the canopy, but there was no way that was working on this ice.

I carry a collapsible extension combination scraper / brush / squeegy sort of like the one below in my truck that I got at a truckstop years ago that is super handy and that I often wish I'd bought two of, but when I'm at home a broom is just easier. Mine extends to about five feet and collapses to half of that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...919a682630054c
We have some ice scrapers liker the one you have. I decided to pull out the snowblower out of the garage and clear the snow from the front driveway (our house is on a corner lot with two driveways). Anyway, a couple of days ago I managed to move the truck from the back to the front driveway, and haven't plowed the back driveway because the snow is too deep for the snowblower now. So now we have three vehicles on the front driveway Will probably pay somebody to plow the snow for me in a day or two.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:35 AM

200 posts, read 156,996 times
wow, I just dropped in to read, I can't imagine! today supposed to be 81 and sunny, and I'm getting ready to go hit a few balls in early afternoon here in Tampa Bay.

My hat's off to you. I couldn't deal with what you guys do.

Stay safe and Happy New Year.

God Bless

Old 12-29-2021, 10:59 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Colder in Seattle right now than in Fairbanks. That won't last for long..

Old 12-29-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Colder in Seattle right now than in Fairbanks. That won't last for long..
The temperatures will probably drop to normal by the end of the week as January nears. By the way, I lot of people are worrying about the heavy snow and ice on the roofs, because for the next three months more snow usually falls.

This is an article about the heavy snow and roofs published at Channel 11:
https://www.webcenterfairbanks.com/2...oof-snow-load/

Old 12-30-2021, 10:24 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Just this AM it came to my attention that Kodiak was 67 degrees recently! Hard to believe..

Old 12-30-2021, 12:22 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Just this AM it came to my attention that Kodiak was 67 degrees recently! Hard to believe..
Its been feeling like coastal CA in Homer for the past few days. Some record-setting warm temps for Kodiak/AK Peninsula. Not for long...snow today and a low of 5F forecast by Saturday.

Old 12-30-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Its been feeling like coastal CA in Homer for the past few days. Some record-setting warm temps for Kodiak/AK Peninsula. Not for long...snow today and a low of 5F forecast by Saturday.
According to the NOAA wether reports, in Fairbanks and surrounding areas we received over 23" of snow from Christmas to the end of the snow storm this morning.

It should start getting colder they evening, perhaps -12 or so tonight.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:35 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
According to the NOAA wether reports, in Fairbanks and surrounding areas we received over 23" of snow from Christmas to the end of the snow storm this morning.

It should start getting colder they evening, perhaps -12 or so tonight.
Plus recordbreaking amounts of rain. Don't forget the stinking rain!

I'd been calling, texting, and messaging every plow guy I know and some I didn't since before the first storm came in. I was able to get a guy to plow both me and my neighbor after the first big storm then it's been no dice since then. Soonest I could get anybody over was Monday or Tuesday. It probably did not help that all the guys I know are way outside of town and I just bought a place in town last summer.

This afternoon there was a guy on a skidsteer driving by and I literally ran out in the road, flagged him down and asked if he'd do hardpack removal, and he did! He did a great job for a reasonable price.

So, now I know that works and if you see a woman out in the road trying to hail not taxis, but passing heavy equipment, that's me hahaha

Anybody else feel like 2021 is exiting the building with two middle fingers in the air?

Old 12-31-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Plus recordbreaking amounts of rain. Don't forget the stinking rain!

I'd been calling, texting, and messaging every plow guy I know and some I didn't since before the first storm came in. I was able to get a guy to plow both me and my neighbor after the first big storm then it's been no dice since then. Soonest I could get anybody over was Monday or Tuesday. It probably did not help that all the guys I know are way outside of town and I just bought a place in town last summer.

This afternoon there was a guy on a skidsteer driving by and I literally ran out in the road, flagged him down and asked if he'd do hardpack removal, and he did! He did a great job for a reasonable price.

So, now I know that works and if you see a woman out in the road trying to hail not taxis, but passing heavy equipment, that's me hahaha

Anybody else feel like 2021 is exiting the building with two middle fingers in the air?
Back in the early '90s we had some winters that brought a lot of snow, but not over 23" within "maybe 3 days" like this one. I remember something like twelve or fourteen inches on one snow fall. Then sometimes Chinook winds would suddenly move over the interior bringing warm air a lots of sleet on top of the very cold pavement. I drove on Illinois this afternoon, and it was much like a 2-lane road, instead of a 4-lane one. Then the RR tracks on College, by the intersection with Illinois, are very deep under the ice. I just slowed down my wife's RAV4 and crawled over the tracks, but I noticed that several small automobiles were having trouble crawling out of the holes, specially the FWD ones. No trouble for SUV's and trucks, however.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-31-2021 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks