Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 PM

8 posts, read 30,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aporkalypse View Post
San Francisco is diverse. Austin is diverse. Fayetteville, like both of these, is open-minded and accepting. Diverse? Probably not so much.

There are no census numbers for this sort of thing but I think the highest percentages of gay and lesbian persons in Arkansas are in Eureka Springs, then Hot Springs, then LR and then Fayetteville. Racially it's obvious the area isn't diverse.

As long as the attitude is fairly open, though, does it matter?

I am not necessarily concerned with the diversity issue, it really has more to do with a concern about racial tension. I have gathered from a number of posts that it seems like a very nice place to live.
The culture shock that we would experience has more to do with CA culture vs. AR culture. We are a pretty conservative family, so we may like AR quite a bit. My husband and I are very friendly and outgoing so we will make the most of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 11:25 PM

8 posts, read 30,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well? did you like them or not? Funny you would say that. Being born and raised in California and living many years in Texas we have had several Hispanic friends but the first time we had really home made ones was here in NM> I guess I can believe you. Of course if you don't have chile on them they are a little dry. we have a Mexcian gal at our chruch that shows us how to make them every year around the holidays. I love to cook, love to try new things and love her helping us; they are very time consuming and not the easiest thing to make.

Nita
I finally agreed to try them last year and I did like them, I was pleasantly surprised. I certainly do not like them enough to make them for as much time as they take.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 AM

350 posts, read 1,288,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5OfUs View Post
I am not necessarily concerned with the diversity issue, it really has more to do with a concern about racial tension. I have gathered from a number of posts that it seems like a very nice place to live.
The culture shock that we would experience has more to do with CA culture vs. AR culture. We are a pretty conservative family, so we may like AR quite a bit. My husband and I are very friendly and outgoing so we will make the most of it.
Just an opinion based on experience but I feel there's more racial tension in Southern California than NWA or Little Rock. The South kind of has this bad rap but places like Cincinatti, Detroit and, yes, LA have problems as well. I don't think those places try nearly as hard to separate themselves from it the way people in this part of the country do.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 PM

114 posts, read 572,409 times
Quote:
Hi, my husband is considering applying to law school at the UofA in Fayetteville. We would be moving from central CA and concerned that there may be a huge culture shock. I've be reading some of the postings about crime and gangs and it seems to be there may be some racism issues. I am American of Mexican descent, my husband is caucasian and we have three small children; should we worry about racism? I feel silly even asking that question, being from CA I have never felt discrimnated against, but I know not everywhere is like CA. My parents live in CA, but own an apartment complex in Texarkana and when my dad flies out there, he always has a positive experience. He may even consider buying more property around where my husband goes to school so we can live there; but we want to make sure it will be a good fit for our family. Any and all honest information would be appreciated. I am ultimately concerned about the experience my children will have. I know that there is no perfect place, but racism on a regular basis is not someting I am willing to deal with.
Being concerned about personal safety is not racist at all. They mentioned white gangs too. If my wife and I had been chased by whites in tucson and albuquerque - I would have said they were whites. I would think you wouldn't have any trouble but I've never been to fayetteville.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,805 times
Default "Diversity"

Let's not be facetious - "diversity"/"diverse" is used as code, or the preferred term, as opposed to: "inner-city", "urban", "minority", and other terms that are no longer politically correct.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:13 PM

140 posts, read 475,161 times
Default ON Tension in Fayetteville

Quote:
I didn't see anyone mention there has been some wonderful Documentary shows on the PBS station about how immigrants have affected Arkansas in a Many positive ways. We live a small rural area in No Central Arkansas, where the beloved Mexican Restaurant,(Hispanic owned) was destroyed by tornadoes, and many people are helping them , and wishing them the best to rebuild. From personal experience, i know there is a CHabad , Rabbi , who located his family to Fayetteville area to serve Jewish families, hey if they can live there you can !
I tease a lot, cause we are openly Jewish, and i have a wonderful Hispanic Uncle, who's brother used to live in Arkansas, now lives in SO MO. He would laugh about problems in Fayetteville- I lived in Sacto, CA as a Teen in the 60s, and i would say that Fayetteville is similar, College Town, with steady Growth, like in the 50s to 60s in Sacto. as a comparision, But i think you will learn to really enjoy it, and the beauty that you can explore with your children- people are so nice here, we were surprised how so.
Best Wishes, and just relax and ignore the negativity,(which is in many city sites not just AR) , Look for Positive side and all will be positive- Your family is so lucky to have this move-a lot more clean water, air, minds. Culture is a spice of life. ARkansas, is one of the USAs best kept secret, thats why a lot of people want to keep it that way !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers