Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 08:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscott462 View Post
its sounds like when it snows most of the time its 1 or 2 inches which is how you get to an average of 6 to 10 inches a year?
how long does the snow stay on the ground before it melts?
Depending how much we get and how cold; usually about a day or two/ We probably get more like 2 inches at once. As I mentioned we have had a few years since we moved here where we have gotten a lot more but it has been at least 5 or 6 years. The past 2 years we have, probably had 1 real snow each year; one that actually resulted in closed schools and no one leaving their homes much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 09:23 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
just an FYI, there are plenty of nice places near the airport but if you're in the flight path of take offs and landings, you will see and hear airplanes, obviously. Take a look at the direction the runways face and choose accordingly.

Please keep in mind that NWA is NOT Long island, so things you might be used to doing in Long Island may not be a thing here in NWA. Sorry, no examples but I heard someone mention that limos for prom are not a thing here.

I have a friend who's family lives in Islip and their property tax is approaching $40k per year for a house on 4 acres

Old 08-19-2019, 05:23 PM

66 posts, read 45,848 times
nmnita, the winters in NWA sound very mild to us which is exactly what we were hoping. I noticed from past posts that you lived in DFW for awhile. How do the summers compare in NWA to DFW? We visited DFW a few times and liked it very much but decided not to relocate there as my wife felt the summers in DFW might be too hot. I know the temps in DFW go over 100 but I always felt that the humidity was lower so it would be easier to adjust. I know there is more humidity in NWA but the temps are lower so how does the summers in DFW compare to NWA?

gunslinger, your friends family who lives is Islip must live on the Bay with a big house valued well over $2 million as $40K in property taxes is crazy even for Long Island. Only rich kids get to take a Limo to their prom as that does not happen were I live. I will miss alsolutely nothing about Long Island as we will never go into Manhattan as my wife and I hate the craziness everywhere you walk. Homeless people sleep on the city streets, other people beg for money, people try to sell you potions and other nonsense and if you wander off the main drag you might get mugged or punched in the back of the head from a bunch of punks playing the knockout punch game. Also way too congested! When you live here you learn what really goes on and are not fooled by what you see on T.V. My 13 year boy is afraid to go in the city as he has seen a few things in the few visits we made during the last 7 years. We are 20 minutes from Jones Beach which is very nice but we are simply tired of the beach scene and never go anymore. Long Island is mostly about the Beaches, Boating and proximity to Manhattan which is why its now crazy expensive.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:57 AM

Let's just say we left DFW area because we could not tolerate the summers. We went to NM for 7 years. When we decided we wanted to be a little closer to our kids as we got older, we found AR and we have never regretted it one minute. Right now we are having a horrible heat wave, horrible for us and yes, it is humid, but this is the first bad or overly hot weather we have had this year and summer will be winding down very soon. In Dallas we had our A/C going from about mid May until late Sept or even Oct. Here we have it going from mid June at the earliest til maybe mid Sept if that long and it rarely kicks on for more than a couple of minutes.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:48 PM

nmnita, I understand. The real estate broker in the Dallas area told my wife and I that a lot of people from the Northeast who move there leave after 5 years because they can't tolerate the heat in the summer. You just made my wife very happy by confirming her worst fears about the summers in DFW. The NWA area sounds like a much better fit for our family. Thank you so much for answering all my questions as it is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-21-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscott462 View Post
nmnita, I understand. The real estate broker in the Dallas area told my wife and I that a lot of people from the Northeast who move there leave after 5 years because they can't tolerate the heat in the summer. You just made my wife very happy by confirming her worst fears about the summers in DFW. The NWA area sounds like a much better fit for our family. Thank you so much for answering all my questions as it is greatly appreciated!
You welcome: One more thing to keep in mind: the high temps in NWA are not nearly as high as in dFW area. I don't think, in the 11 or actually 12 summers we have been here, we have seen more than 3 or 4 days above 100 degrees and rarely have many day above 95. I can remember the temps in DFW area and with we could forget. They would top out at was over 100 many summer days. Don't get me wrong we do have humidity. We are going through a heat spell right now, but it should break tomorrow and we will be back in the 80s

Old 08-21-2019, 10:19 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,737,314 times
We plan to move to Bella Vista if we can sell our house in Paradise, Northern California.
Part of my morning routine is to check the weather report on the Internet in Bella Vista.
I see a lot of warnings regarding thunderstorms.

I am curious how do you guys deal with that, like when you are out in a boat, or driving around for errands.

I experienced major thunderstorms in Europe and it can become truly scary, especially the suddenness and ferocity of the rain.
Nita, how bad is it in Bella Vista?

Old 08-21-2019, 10:35 AM

The warnings usually turn out to be nothing but we do have them. The only real problem affects our animals or some of them anyway. Our dog is scared to death and even our cat gets pretty upset when we have them. Some are pretty severe,, but probably not as much so as the weather reports would make you think.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 PM

nmnita, DFW summers sound brutal and we could not tolerate that heat either. I should of realizd that when I saw brown lawns everywhere but we really liked those master planned communities with walking trails, pools, clubhouses. Only the very wealthy have that on Long Island as most houses are just built anywhere with no HOA to keep neighborhoods nice. The humidity here is always butal during the summer months as we are surrounded by water. The further south you drive on the east coast the worse it gets during the summer.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:23 AM

Well everyone who is concerned about thunder storms and I say just relax, wouldn't want to be here today. We have a real active one going right now. It started about 4am and will probably be ending in about another hour: lots of noise and lots water falling from above. Nothing to really worry about, but it is pretty annoying. The good news, everyone has such wonderful green lawns his summer and our temps won't get much out of the 70s today or tomorrow. In fact tomorrow the high is supposed to be about 76.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers