Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 05:37 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,174,925 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about this print or who the artist is?
I've tried to figure out the signature, but no luck. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

L.

Anyone know this Artist?-art1.jpg

Anyone know this Artist?-art2.jpg

Anyone know this Artist?-art3.jpg

Anyone know this Artist?-art4.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 07:34 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,430,874 times
I'm stumped on the name, but there's a few things that may help your search:

- It looks like an aquatint etching that is #2 of a 500 print edition.

- It's done in a distinctive style that was widely popular in the 1950s-early 60s. I tend to think the artist was primarily a commercial artist/graphic artist who did a lot of poster art and commercial work for magazine ads, etc. It's definitely not amateur work, and it's slick enough that I think the artist is fairly well known for works like this.

-It's an American city scape; if the skyscraper that's the visual center of the piece could be identified, that would tell a lot about the city, and that may tell who the artist was. Cityscapes in general are tricky as artwork, so those who do them well tend to do a lot of them because they sell well, especially to locals in big cities.
I'm sure it's New York City, either. These things tend to sell widely. It could be any of a number of large U.S. cities. I'm sure there are photographs of that building; some may exist with the same viewpoint.

-The signature doesn't look like it has a V in it to me. The last 4 letters look like 'horp'. The signature is in pencil, so it has a softer line and is less black than the engraving that lies under it.

Good luck! This piqued my interest, so I may find out who the artist is, but this one is really tough.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:18 PM

Thank you so much for your time, I really do appreciate it. I agree with what you said. Please let me know if you find anything. I even sent it to a few appraisals but only 1 replied back with "I don't think its value is over 1000 dollars so we don't do these appraisals". ..o well. Thank you again for your time, very kind of you.

L.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:58 AM

I had this posted under Craig's List to try and learn more.
Someone emailed me and said it looks like the YMCA Building in Akron, Ohio.
There is a strong resemblance, but not sure.
My original plan still remains, to sell it.

I'd like to make an offer.

To the person who can find me the author (so a value can be determined), I will give you 10%, when sold.
My offer is open to anyone who can help.

Thank you,
Mr. Quesenberry

Old 12-01-2019, 05:03 AM

For giggles: There's something odd in the picture. Anyone notice it?

Old 12-01-2019, 12:00 PM

(artist)

Old 12-01-2019, 04:45 PM

In the picture the car is going down a one way street (the wrong way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts