Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 AM

30 posts, read 150,156 times

Advertisements

Here's something I totally don't understand -- Why are we, as individuals, pressured to conserve water? Here's what I mean; You always see those commercials on t.v. about how to water your lawn, when to water your lawn, and how much to water your lawn. And yet, just down the road from me are NUMEROUS multi, multi family developements being built. Usually named for the animal or resource that was chased away or done away with to develop the place, " Turtle Creek", "Eagles Nest", "Shady Oak", etc. Each of these developments has sometimes hundreds of houses. Each house usually has a family of at least 3 or 4 or more. Each of these families take showers, do laundry, flush toillets, wash dishes, wash their vehicles, fill their pools...and water their lawns.

And it seems like developers see a beautiful place, and somehow, in their souls think the best thing to do in this beautiful place is to level it and put 250house, (all close together) on it.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 06:06 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
I'm not sure what to think about that.
People needa a place to live....

I have more of a problem w/ the post office having it's sprinkler system on in the day and if I did that I would get fined 500 buckeroos!

Old 06-28-2007, 06:06 AM

131 posts, read 1,034,320 times
Money.

The developers want it. The cities want the tax revenue.

It cost money to create new, viable water solutions, so it's easier to just tell the people who are already here to use less water.

I do get a kick out of the names of developments though.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:19 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Impressions View Post
Money.
The developers want it. The cities want the tax revenue.
So true.

Did anybody see the story on WESH about Aqua Utilities in Oviedo? The residents are paying almost $300 a month for water & expect it to possibly TRIPLE! They utility says they have to pass on the expense of upgrading the system. Or is this a sign of things to come?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:18 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Magnolia1354, you hit the nail on the head!!! I couldn't agree with you more on this topic.

The best way to conserve water is to stop new development! I was here first. Just because more people want to live in Florida, I have to listen to commercials by some beaurocratic water management agency and the County tell me "It just takes two".

Well, I've got my own sprinkler well - the water is under my land, and I will water my lawn as much as I want. I'll do it during times when they don't come around to check - like 2:00 in the morning. Believe me, it's hard enough to get a cop to patrol our neighborhood, you won't find any lazy code enforcement out at that hour.

So, all of you people who hate me because I'm not "eco-friendly", or a water conserver, I say "too bad"; I was here first, it's my water, my land, and if there's not enough to go around, then leave, and DON'T LET THE EXIT DOOR TO FLORIDA HIT YOU IN YOUR ASS!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:26 AM

131 posts, read 1,034,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I was here first.
Timacuan or Calusa? Or perhaps, Seminole?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:34 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
The only way Florida can get money is to sell itself like a prostitute. The land is the only resource people will pay for. If development stops, the money stops flowing. Development will continue regardless of whether the environment can support it. After all, you can always charge the suckers more money to live in "paradise". They have unlimited money it seems.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:07 PM

30 posts, read 150,156 times
I'm not so sure about that. Florida depends heavily on tourist dollars. I'm not so sure it's in our best interest to forget that and pave over what exactly people have come here to enjoy. Am I wrong here?

Old 07-06-2007, 01:29 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Magnolia1354, you hit the nail on the head!!! I couldn't agree with you more on this topic.

The best way to conserve water is to stop new development! I was here first. Just because more people want to live in Florida, I have to listen to commercials by some beaurocratic water management agency and the County tell me "It just takes two".

Well, I've got my own sprinkler well - the water is under my land, and I will water my lawn as much as I want. I'll do it during times when they don't come around to check - like 2:00 in the morning. Believe me, it's hard enough to get a cop to patrol our neighborhood, you won't find any lazy code enforcement out at that hour.

So, all of you people who hate me because I'm not "eco-friendly", or a water conserver, I say "too bad"; I was here first, it's my water, my land, and if there's not enough to go around, then leave, and DON'T LET THE EXIT DOOR TO FLORIDA HIT YOU IN YOUR ASS!
The best way is to not have to conserve water. Broward county has been talking about building a desalinization plant for like 30 years. Water is a resource on this earth and there is no shortage at all. We have plenty of technology to solve any problems. It is all the same BS, unfortunately we have to depend on the same political idiots do things for us. Hell, we don't even use some of the technologies being used in third world countries. I was in Haiti years ago and saw people using solar energy.

I reality our country is a farce, smoke and mirrors a complete facade. We have the space program and like to pretend to be so advanced, but we can't even take care of our own people. From health care to housing to how people are exploited by every system they come in contact with, this country is a joke anymore.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:30 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Quote:
Timacuan or Calusa? Or perhaps, Seminole?
None of the above - ALL GATOR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: