Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 02:22 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,453 times

Advertisements

I just watched a video from Youtuber Southern Life. He was originally Florida Hood Vlogs but changed his name after moving to Alabama. He was unhappy with Florida and came to Alabama. He thought Alabama would solve his problems be he left because he said he encountered racism and death threats. He moved back to Florida last summer and now he's back trashing it. I think he has the grass is greener on the other side syndrome. I'm sure he's not the only person who feels this way. I know plenty of people who aren't happy where they live regardless. A lot of Floridians are unhappy with what the state has turned into. Most people leave and move back to wherever they came from, or go the halfback route like move to NC or TN. For those who left Florida, do you feel that Florida made you unhappy or that you were just an unhappy person?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Gq49hTNBw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 02:58 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,198,377 times
A lot of people can't accept that their choices have consequences. Some of it you can't change like your family and how you were raised. A lot of it you can change like where you go to college or what you study and make your career or who you date and have relationships with.

I think you are right. A lot of people who made bad choices or have miserable family lives think moving to warm sunny Florida or somewhere else will fix all their problems and give them a clean slate and fresh start. It rarely works out that way.

Old 02-12-2022, 03:34 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Just a unhappy pappy with the weather.

Old 02-12-2022, 03:40 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
There is a saying and a book called "Wherever you go, there you are". It's probably true for a lot of people.

Old 02-12-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
There is a saying and a book called "Wherever you go, there you are". It's probably true for a lot of people.
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Some people just aren't happy anywhere.

Old 02-12-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
A lot of people can't accept that their choices have consequences. Some of it you can't change like your family and how you were raised. A lot of it you can change like where you go to college or what you study and make your career or who you date and have relationships with.

I think you are right. A lot of people who made bad choices or have miserable family lives think moving to warm sunny Florida or somewhere else will fix all their problems and give them a clean slate and fresh start. It rarely works out that way.
I agree, I think his problem was that he assumed that moving to a new state was going to solve all his problems, but it rarely does. He had legitimate reasons why he left Naples, but not all of Florida is like Naples, and not all of America is like Alabama. He also said that Hispanics can't live wherever they want, I strongly disagree with that statement. Hispanics are practically everywhere in the US even in the rural south and rural Midwest.

Old 02-12-2022, 05:11 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I agree, I think his problem was that he assumed that moving to a new state was going to solve all his problems, but it rarely does. He had legitimate reasons why he left Naples, but not all of Florida is like Naples, and not all of America is like Alabama. He also said that Hispanics can't live wherever they want, I strongly disagree with that statement. Hispanics are practically everywhere in the US even in the rural south and rural Midwest.
Yes. Florida is a BIG state and some people paint it with a broad brush. It varies tremendously from north to south, east to west with many micros in between. Fortunately for me I was born here, I love it, and I will die here. No desire to live anywhere else.

Old 02-12-2022, 06:43 PM

222 posts, read 222,406 times
Not gonna lie but you constantly post about that channel. I wouldn't be surprised if it was you José trying to get free advertising.

If you listen to him you can tell he's had an opioid addiction and not right in the head. Stop watching that junk channel

Old 02-12-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouperK View Post
Not gonna lie but you constantly post about that channel. I wouldn't be surprised if it was you José trying to get free advertising.

If you listen to him you can tell he's had an opioid addiction and not right in the head. Stop watching that junk channel
I post about him because he talks about Florida and this is a Florida forum, I only made 3 posts about him on city data. His negative videos on Florida is starting to get toxic and he's becoming concerning. I know Florida isn't perfect but he projects his hate on Florida and Alabama on the his viewer making it seems like his experiences represent everyone else's. He plays the race card on why he can't leave Florida but you can live anywhere.

Old 02-12-2022, 07:11 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,989 times
Well, picking Alabama as the alternative was probably the first mistake haha...

I haven't watched this video yet and only really watch ones that pique my interest. He puts out so much stuff at one time that I'd be spending too much time watching someone drive around. Anyway, in one of his recent videos about Tampa, he did say that he tries to contrast himself from the vast majority of Florida-living YouTube channels, most of whom are real estate agents using YouTube for lead generation. Since I don't watch every video like I would a TV show, I can't judge whether this is truly just his shtick in the YouTube space to distinguish himself, or if we are seeing him struggle with personal issues unbeknownst to him in real time.

A lot of these Florida-living channels tend to only show the prettiest areas and act like everything here is just perfect. Unlike the real estate agents running these channels, who of course, have a personal interest in getting you to act on your interest in possibly moving here, the Southern Life guy shows you the best and the worst areas of the cities he films. When he came to Orlando, he showed Windermere ($$$$) as well as Parramore and Orange Blossom Trail. On another note, he described Altamonte Springs as Hialeah with trees, which I thought was a trash comparison.

Your Orlando real estate agent YouTuber will have 25 videos in a row about Lake Nona, Horizon West, Celebration, Dr. Phillips, Winter Park, and then newer developments in Clermont and Davenport as the "affordable" options.

In fairness, I have seen plenty of "10 Bad Things about [City], Florida" or "5 Bad Things about Florida" videos pop up in my suggestions on YouTube from some of these Florida living channels, but they are small in comparison to the overwhelmingly positive ones these channels produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida