Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 07:24 PM

2,981 posts, read 1,164,508 times

Advertisements

It funny one of the leaders of the naacp live in Tampa!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 09:59 PM

622 posts, read 400,285 times
Correct. Kudos to Broward…shame on Palm Beach for its role in partaking in one man’s culture war. Miami? I’m not one bit surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Broward did not. It was the only county in South FL that remained blue. Miami and Palm Beach went red.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:11 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Trust me, I will not be visiting Florida anytime soon. Nor will my friends and family.

The governor is not good for Florida business, reputation and ultimately, the people of Florida.
The state does not belong to DeSantis or Republicans. You are not in a damn battle with a state. Touch grass. Sick of this astounding stupidity and tribalism permeating across the country.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:23 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Because it implies that the success of businesses is all that matters for race relations.

A lot of Asian-Americans might have successful Chinese restaurants but that doesn't mean they don't experience racism.

With that being said, I don't think Florida is the pinnacle of racism... but it's not a very open minded place either. I grew up in Miami and its not a pro-black city at all. There's not even real political comradery between the latinos. Cuban refugees vote for policies that go against non-Cuban refugees. They're okay with what DeSantis did to those Venezuelans, but had it been a democrat doing it to Cubans, then its Nazism. Florida, especially South Florida, is a very "shkrew you, I got mine!" kinda place. I have heard my own father complain about how one business was replaced by an Asian owned business. My father... an immigrant. He didn't complain about it when he craved Chinese food, though.
I come from an immigrant family that lives in various cities across the country including NYC and Chicago and race relations aren't that great over there either. We are not one big world community. All these ethnic groups tolerate each other. It's not endemic to Florida.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:03 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
sticks 'n stones...the Free State of Florida's residents are true American patriots...some of our visitors are a little out there though. George Soros busses them all in (Astroturf) to stir up trouble, but we mostly ignore them. They get their photo op & 30 second news video clip, then they vanish back onto the busses. Its all fake news.

Other states are so jealous of Florida, & our successful diversity, it drives them insane

Florida is the best place to live in America...people flocking here from everywhere & bringing Billions in wealth with them to spend at our culturally diverse establishments.

Florida is winning at just about everything that is good...like our strong economy.

Anyone who denies it, is a hater who is from one of the losing teams from up North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
It all sounds nice and sweet but don’t forget the Orlando Neo-Nazi rally, the massive Confederate flag on the 75 near Tampa and (again) Orlando “Kill all gays!” sign.

Who are “we” you speak of? Because I lived in Sarasota for a year I don’t remember sharing the same sentiment as the above Neo-Nazis. I paid tax, paid my due-diligence, shopped at Publix, just like everyone else but I didn’t know the “freedom” you wear so proudly and honorably on the sleeve did not include others’ “freedom“ to move to Florida.-I did NOT know ONLY Republicans are allowed to move to FL and enjoy the life here.

I did NOT know only Republicans deserve human rights and the “freedom” to call somewhere home when they are law-abiding citizens who harm no one and can relocate to anywhere they can.

For people who claim to love “freedom” and quickly call the “libs” “communists” “fascists” are more than happy to dictate who can and can’t move to the state you don’t own. Your “first dip” sounds communist and dictatorship, “do as I say, obey me or you get out!”

So much for the “freedom”. Only your freedom is freedom, only your freedom counts.

Lastly, why did your post sound like a cult brochure?!

Old 05-24-2023, 12:18 PM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
sticks 'n stones...the Free State of Florida's residents are true American patriots...some of our visitors are a little out there though. George Soros busses them all in (Astroturf) to stir up trouble, but we mostly ignore them. They get their photo op & 30 second news video clip, then they vanish back onto the busses. Its all fake news.

Other states are so jealous of Florida, & our successful diversity, it drives them insane

Florida is the best place to live in America...people flocking here from everywhere & bringing Billions in wealth with them to spend at our culturally diverse establishments.

Florida is winning at just about everything that is good...like our strong economy.

Anyone who denies it, is a hater who is from one of the losing teams from up North.
You’re very cute. I’m sure you’re a very nice person in real life but no, I’m not from the North, and I honestly don’t think other states are “jealous” of Florida.

I stayed one year, enjoyed living here and had fond memories, left not for the reason of being “priced out” (we bought a 2 yrs old beautiful house with pool in Sarasota cash.) Fl is a very beautiful state, but the cult mentality is a bit scary to witness.

You guys should focus more on living your best life in the paradise, you are too busy thinking others are “jealous” of you. And if it’s such a paradise, wouldn’t you want to happily invite people over to your beautiful home?!

Old 05-24-2023, 12:19 PM

20,098 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'm echoing the same way many, many people feel about the state of things in Florida right now.

DeSantis will ultimately be on the wrong side of history with these recently passed bills/legislation that are far right wing authoritarian.

Not good for business at all.
Best advice, don't go there, there's too many tourists there already. Plus it's the fastest growing state in the country. People are flocking there.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...ing-state.html

thanks DeSantis!

Old 05-24-2023, 12:35 PM

18,426 posts, read 8,258,982 times
irony.....when you bash ”Floridians”.......and don't realize they are probably people from your own neighborhood

Old 05-24-2023, 12:41 PM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
Its the same as Hawaii. People move here so that the folks back home will be envious.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:59 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
You’re very cute. I’m sure you’re a very nice person in real life but no, I’m not from the North, and I honestly don’t think other states are “jealous” of Florida.

I stayed one year, enjoyed living here and had fond memories, left not for the reason of being “priced out” (we bought a 2 yrs old beautiful house with pool in Sarasota cash.) Fl is a very beautiful state, but the cult mentality is a bit scary to witness.

You guys should focus more on living your best life in the paradise, you are too busy thinking others are “jealous” of you. And if it’s such a paradise, wouldn’t you want to happily invite people over to your beautiful home?!
Thx for saying I'm cute....I'll glady accept your compliment.

I wasn't speaking specifically to you, so sorry if you thought I was.

I was speaking to everyone who is knocking Florida's successful economic diversity, & all things FLA in general.

I once read a survey saying that 80% of New Jersey residents would move to FLA, if they could. Most states would have similar results. If they are not jealous of us here in FLA, they are at the least envious.

One definition of "cult": "a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person, or thing."

I do have excessive admiration for our free state of Florida, its culturally diverse economy, and for the USA, so I'm an unapologetic cult member. I didn't mean to scare you, or anyone else though.

My area of SW FLA has some booming black & latino businesses, so I'm not surprised by our high FCC rankings. FLA ranks high in so many good things, its getting hard to keep track of them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida