Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 08:13 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
People have tons on their mind today, but it is a choice to keep that which is most important, near and dear to your heart, at the top of your mind and always on it.
What is so unique or different about today so people have tons on their minds?
Available statistics is from 1998 and the number of fatalities is not changing much between years

https://www.noheatstroke.org/index.htm

My guess it shows low IQ of these parents more than anything. They don't understand the danger. About 20% were left in the car knowingly. 25% is when kids gained access on their own (this one is still shocking to me, considering the majority of kids who passed away in hot card were under 4, where caregivers were???). Around 52% of caregivers "forgot" kids in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 07:13 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
There definitely should be some sort of device (internal or external) that would alert parents about the presence of the child in their car.
Not sure why, considering the plethora of sensors and gadgets that are featured in every modern car, no one thought about this safety alert. Maybe a special/designated buckle for the children's seats, together with a weight sensor? It can't be such a rocket science....

https://iee-sensing.com/automotive/s...ort/vitasense/ <<< innovation

https://www.amazon.com/STEELMATE-Rem.../dp/B086DM63SN <<< doesn't seem to be popular with parents.

Lots of them probably won't buy anything special, so i hope that car makers would implement something alerting the drivers automatically.

Old 06-19-2023, 07:21 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
They knew what they were doing. There was no forgetting. They just didn't think it would kill the kid.

What's sad is most churches have nurseries where they could have left their child.

Old 06-19-2023, 07:45 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Good church attending ones.....
C'mon now. Satan and his minions are alive and well and thriving all over the world. Christian people are NOT immune to him, and actually he really digs in when someone is a new believer.

I understand Christian folks are held to a higher standard, I, too, expect better behavior, but we are all sinners and will be until the day we die/leave this earth.

With that being said, these parents need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I'm sure the intent was not to have the baby die, but there is no excuse for anyone to leave a child or a pet in a vehicle for hours at a time when they go anywhere.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:49 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There definitely should be some sort of device (internal or external) that would alert parents about the presence of the child in their car.
Not sure why, considering the plethora of sensors and gadgets that are featured in every modern car, no one thought about this safety alert. Maybe a special/designated buckle for the children's seats, together with a weight sensor? It can't be such a rocket science....

https://iee-sensing.com/automotive/s...ort/vitasense/ <<< innovation

https://www.amazon.com/STEELMATE-Rem.../dp/B086DM63SN <<< doesn't seem to be popular with parents.

Lots of them probably won't buy anything special, so i hope that car makers would implement something alerting the drivers automatically.
There is such a device. It's called "responsible parenting."

What happens when the device fails? Who ends up being responsible for the dead kid then? What happens if the device misfires often enough that the parent stops paying attention to it, or disables it? Who takes the blame for the dead kid then? What happens if - just as the beep starts to happen, an ambulance comes by with its sirens blaring, and the parents are distracted, and don't hear their car beep, and the kid dies? Who's at fault then?

Absolutely 100% against ANYTHING that removes the parent from direct responsibility for making sure the human being or animal they placed inside a car, is OUT of the car, when the parent leaves it - and is put back IN the car, when the parent returns to it.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:23 PM

140 posts, read 111,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
They knew what they were doing. There was no forgetting. They just didn't think it would kill the kid.

What's sad is most churches have nurseries where they could have left their child.
I think you're underestimating just how stupid the majority of people are.

Old 06-20-2023, 05:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,490 times
I can't see how you forget a baby is with you.No excuse really.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:01 AM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaduke90 View Post
I can't see how you forget a baby is with you. No excuse really.
It happens because people aren't perfect. My wife almost got hit by a red light runner, and was upset and drove to work instead of to day care. If she hadn't put her purse in the back seat, she might not have remembered the baby was back there. Anything that disrupts your routine, or a change in routine, can make you forget. That's why it's important to get in the habit of putting a purse or other object in the back seat so you see the baby when you get the item.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:07 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
C'mon now. Satan and his minions are alive and well and thriving all over the world. Christian people are NOT immune to him, and actually he really digs in when someone is a new believer.

I understand Christian folks are held to a higher standard, I, too, expect better behavior, but we are all sinners and will be until the day we die/leave this earth.

With that being said, these parents need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I'm sure the intent was not to have the baby die, but there is no excuse for anyone to leave a child or a pet in a vehicle for hours at a time when they go anywhere.
Being so self absorbed that you forget you have a child is on the parents , you want to say the "devil made them do it" that's your words not mine. And I agree with prosecuting to the full extend that the law allows.

Christians are not held to a higher standard, but too many believe they are on a higher plain and above the fallacies that affect those who don't believe. The rest of us just call it hypocrisy

Old 06-21-2023, 04:15 PM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
I am always amazed that while the judicial system has an unlimited amount of laws and statutes in order to protect the wellbeing of children, there are absolutely no laws regulating or restricting the ability of people to have children. Anyone can produce as much children as they like, regardless of their ability to care for said children, and in some cases, are rewarded for doing so. The outlook for these children for their lifespan is doomed from the start, as it will never rise above the level of damage control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida