Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 04:17 PM

19,277 posts, read 17,151,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I know you dislike me and have to respond every time I do - but I was responding to the OP
s original assertion "The only state separating FL from the bottom is West Virginia: so it's you who has to get with the program.
I hold no animosity towards you, But claiming they are #1 is misleading because all the posters are referring to K-12 education which is where the teacher pay and performance are such an issue. I only responded to the quoted statement, not the message trail.

So you enjoy your program and have a nice day....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 04:31 PM

25,909 posts, read 12,935,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthatsfit View Post
Not sure what else they can do... Raise sales and property taxes very high? One day the state will be very crowded... It's not as big as Texas or California.... Real estate prices have already shot up... What happens when importing people isn't as easy?
They (the State of FLA) don't need to do anything differently. Gov DeSantis just increased starting Teacher pay TWENTY PERCENT!

The OP's link is inaccurate, & overly narrow minded to formulate an overall opinion of FLA's treatment of Teachers.

Read all the links I posted ranking FLA 5th in overall job satisfaction, of places to be a Teacher.

Some of the other States that ranked higher, have Teacher pension plans that are going to be unable to pay out, since they are grossly underfunded. Those States overpaid, & now have a Ponzi scheme retirement system that is worse than Social Security.

Floirda does most things quite well, & Millions have moved into the State for a reason...overall, one of the best States to live of them all.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 05-03-2024 at 05:09 PM..

Old 05-03-2024, 07:31 PM

1,898 posts, read 861,291 times
how much money would it take to make teacher happy 200k, 250 k, a glorflied baber sitter. that mean, yes i know, but what if teacher was paid on performance, every kid that gets in college, a bonus. pay those that are good what they worth. bonus for every kid.

those that are sorry, minimum wage plus one dollar

like the alabama coach, if you are good, make all the money you want, sorry, well sorry

i also believe parent should have to write a check every month, no, not property tax but a paper check, then let see how bad their kid does in class, how much he acts up if daddy has to write a check

Old 05-04-2024, 05:21 AM

7,973 posts, read 9,187,775 times
48k for a non tenured teacher with a bachelors degree isnt bad at all. On Long Island before you are tenured which takes 4 years you are making peanuts.

Here are some NY figures. Tenure is the big thing. Then step raises and getting your Masters helps. But the benefits in this Tier is nothing like the very generous older tiers. It was simply unsustainable.

But all in all it is a good gig for a 9 month position 6 hour day. And yes they take work home with them as does many professions nowadays.

https://www.teachercatalina.com/new-...cher-salaries/

Old 05-04-2024, 06:24 AM

3,465 posts, read 2,451,397 times
So many people think that the only thing teachers did for their jobs was measurable within the classroom when the kids were at their seats. So sure that's 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, 9 months a year.

They get there by 7:30, class starts at 7:45. They don't leave until 2:30, school's over at 2:10. So they're there 7 hours a day, not 6. They don't get "lunch breaks." Or bathroom breaks. If they have no class scheduled at lunch, then they can have lunch. If their entire class is scheduled for lunch, they can have lunch. Otherwise - they're eating lunch during the 4 minutes between classes.

They do all the planning for the week's lessons at home, and it's not optional, it's required. That's at least another 2 hours a week. Longer if they have to provide "props" and usually those props come out of their pocket - the schools don't cover the cost.

They spend at least 3 hours every week grading papers - again, this is mandatory and can't be done in the classroom.

In some school districts (the ones that value kids' education), teachers are required to maintain their certifications. That means summer courses, at their own expense. Average around 40 more hours of mandatory work time for that, every summer.

If a teacher wants to move up in status, or get raises other than the mandatory cost of living increases, they have to continue their education. A teacher fresh out of 2-year associates degree school won't make as much a teacher with a Masters degree. And Professors earn more than Teachers, because of the increased education. Doctors of Education, even more. So that means summer school, and possibly a semester off for an educational sabattical, all at the teacher's expense.

Then, there are teachers who DO continue teaching during the summer, to help kids who need that extra help in summer school. So those teachers are working -at the school- 11 months a year, not 9 (schools are still closed during x-mas/new years and thanksgiving and spring break but they're open for summer school in July and August).

The week before the school year begins, teachers are in their classrooms setting up, doing the year's overall lesson plan (which is broken down weekly throughout the year), cleaning, making sure supplies are where they need to be (some of which they have to buy out of their own pockets), make sure they have the roster so they know WHO they're teaching before they all show up in the classroom the first day of school.

Then there are the mandatory staff meetings, the mandatory parent-teacher meetings, the days when they might have to stay til 4 because that ONE KID in the class has parents who just can't get there to pick up their kid on time every day.

If they only walked in to First period, started teaching, and left when the bell rang at the end of the school day, then sure it'd be an awesome gig. But that isn't even CLOSE to what they do. Anyone who's had a teacher for a parent knows better than that. And anyone who's ever been a teacher knows better than that.

-Daughter of a Teacher

Old 05-04-2024, 06:45 AM

7,973 posts, read 9,187,775 times
I work in a school in a non teaching position. I could only dream of their benefits and schedule. Hour for lunch and prep time when their students are in large group specials like gym or music.

One day a week of extra help in the morning. The rest of the morning pre class time is usually spent socializing or a union based activity, especially during contract negotiations.

Everyone who is a professional needs to take continuing ed to maintain such certifications on their own time. If a teacher takes more courses they go to higher pay grade. I cant say the same for other professions.

2 days a year of parent teacher conferences that are part of your contract you agreed to. Paid staff meetings when they are pre start of classes. Those who work the summers get paid more to do so. Just like those who get stipends to coach a team.

Still a good gig although no one complains as much as teachers. There are still huge number of kids going to school for education major because summers off, reduced hours and large number of vacations during the year coupled with a decent wage for that relatively small work day is appealing.

Guaranteed pension. Many get retiree health insurance. I dont know any poor retired teachers. Again not a bad deal. Lots complain but fewer leave because in the private sector you cant get the guaranteed stuff teachers get.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:33 PM

836 posts, read 481,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Also weird:

West Virginia, which was ranked 47th out of 48 in education, 45th in pre-k-12th grade, ranked #1 in high school graduation.

KY, which was #32 in Education, #27 in pre-k-12, ranked 3rd in high school graduation.

Alabama - 44th in education, 43 in pre-k-12, and 6th in high school graduation.

TN - 33rd education, #34 pre-k-12, and #7 in high school graduation.

FL - #1 in education, #14 pre-k-12, only makes it to #14th place in high school graduations.

Somehow - these schools that have lower school rankings, were able to churn out more graduates than the so-called #1 state for higher education.

That's also according to the US News & World Report.

But that's a news magazine that combines various points of data from various sources and surveys taken by select individuals, and not the source of the data.
High schools will do almost anything to graduate students these days, but that’s not just a Florida thing.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:29 PM

190 posts, read 125,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
Why? Floridas budget couldn’t be doing any better
That is short sighted. The state will eventually need to invest in it's people. Climate and no income tax works until saturation happens. Social problems are no doubt increasing in the state for anyone paying attention. Homelessness being one. But anecdotally -- I know a Phd candidate who just competed their studies and was looking for a job in South Florida. They have lived in Florida for over 20 years. Let's just say they are looking elsewhere in their field now.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:34 PM

190 posts, read 125,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
They (the State of FLA) don't need to do anything differently. Gov DeSantis just increased starting Teacher pay TWENTY PERCENT!

The OP's link is inaccurate, & overly narrow minded to formulate an overall opinion of FLA's treatment of Teachers.

Read all the links I posted ranking FLA 5th in overall job satisfaction, of places to be a Teacher.

Some of the other States that ranked higher, have Teacher pension plans that are going to be unable to pay out, since they are grossly underfunded. Those States overpaid, & now have a Ponzi scheme retirement system that is worse than Social Security.

Floirda does most things quite well, & Millions have moved into the State for a reason...overall, one of the best States to live of them all.

They once used to say the same things about California too (millions moving there - one of the best states to live)... But ok... Everything in Florida is just fine... No problem...

Old 05-06-2024, 10:15 PM

37,264 posts, read 39,548,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
To be fair, a lot of our public school teachers aren’t the brightest either, bordering on quite dumb in many instances from my experience and observations. That, along with safety and other issues, is a large part of why we pulled our kids out of there.

Yea, it's like having lower the qualifications and pretty much the lowest wages for teachers among US states will end up with lower quality teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: