Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:43 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times

Advertisements

^^^ Good suggestion but only one problem, you normally can't taste it till you buy it and open the bottle. If it's a place that let's you sample it before buying then more than likely they would not be trying to sell fake oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 08:13 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I was told by an importer that even the California oils have problems.

What a stupid thing to fake.
Of course, the importer wouldn't have any ulterior motive for casting doubt on a competitor's product. No agenda there. Nope. None at all.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:28 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^^ Good suggestion but only one problem, you normally can't taste it till you buy it and open the bottle. If it's a place that let's you sample it before buying then more than likely they would not be trying to sell fake oil.
I don't know that this is accurate.

The places that let you sample and fill your own bottles from their urns seem to all work worn the same supplier. I've been to places at home and in several other states, and each of them has gotten their oils from the same distributor. Who is Italian, and the chances of the product falling in the small percentage that's not tampered with seem pretty slim.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:14 AM

491 posts, read 375,429 times
Quote:
How is everyone getting around the fake olive oil epidemic?

My husband's restaurant is even having to test their imported DOP olive oil in a lab in Miami it is so bad.

I'm thinking about switching to grass fed butter.

Any other ideas?
no need to waste money testing it with a lab. have your husband take a shot of olive oil, gargle in the back of the mouth, if it doesn't have a strong peppery, spicy sensation, there's no phenol, which means it's fake. additionally, olive oil is derived from a fruit. it's basically an olive fruit juice and it gets worse when stored too long after it's bottled or canned, it's meant to be consumed soon. it could also be that your husband's batch has been sitting in a warehouse for a long time. many have switched to cali evoo. because of quick transit and proximity, customers of CA oil have less issues.

evoo is judged on that and also the flavor notes. some are more earthy, some more fruity. the phenol test tho is the most important.

i buy vantia brand imported dop evoo. always consistent.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't know that this is accurate.

The places that let you sample and fill your own bottles from their urns seem to all work worn the same supplier. I've been to places at home and in several other states, and each of them has gotten their oils from the same distributor. Who is Italian, and the chances of the product falling in the small percentage that's not tampered with seem pretty slim.
What I was referring to is places that offer samples of the bottled olive oils, NOT places that sell it in bulk.. I personally do not have access to such places. When I buy I don't get to try it till after I buy it.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:48 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
With artificial flavors and colors, I doubt that 1% can taste olive oil and tell if it is the real thing.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:44 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,212 times
Quote:
I was told by an importer that even the California oils have problems.

What a stupid thing to fake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Of course, the importer wouldn't have any ulterior motive for casting doubt on a competitor's product. No agenda there. Nope. None at all.
Ha. Thanks for the laugh.

This is the oil that I buy. Spicey and peppery in the throat when swallowed, which I've read is a sign of a good olive oil. Plus their oils are certified by the California Olive Oil Council.

https://californiaoliveranch.com/

Old 07-15-2016, 12:11 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
The "fake" olive oils are generally olive oil diluted with cheaper oils not. They still contain olive oil and nobody on earth is going to be able to simply taste it and determine if it's 100% pure olive oil or olive oil mixed with vegetable oil. The oils that they are using to dilute it are generally tasteless and odorless so the only flavor that is going to come through is the olive oil

Old 07-15-2016, 01:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
...Sweet taste is a strong indication of someone trying to fool you...
Not true. I prefer oil made from the Taggiasca olive - IT'S SWEET and fruity.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:20 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,212 times
[quote=ryanms3030;44771096]The "fake" olive oils are generally olive oil diluted with cheaper oils not. They still contain olive oil and nobody on earth is going to be able to simply taste it and determine if it's 100% pure olive oil or olive oil mixed with vegetable oil. The oils that they are using to dilute it are generally tasteless and odorless so the only flavor that is going to come through is the olive oil[/quot

Why pay the higher price for Olive oil if it's diluted with lesser quality vegetable oils? That, plus the fact that many vegetable oils are already rancid as they sit on the store shelves. You can't smell the rancidity because the bottlers add perfumes to fool you.

Lastly, when you consume 2 tablespoons of olive oil daily, as I do, you can definitely taste the difference between pure extra virgin olive oil vs diluted olive oil.

The Benefits of 1 to 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil Per Day | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink