Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:53 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times

Advertisements

Store them in a brown paper bag, never in the plastic bag they come in.
Put a sprig of rosemary in the bag.
Store away from onions and fruit.
Store in a cool environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
J Lawrence got it. All the potatoes you buy in the supermarket have already been stored for months at a time before you get them. Grow your own. There are different methods 4 different sized slots and all of that just do some research and see what you get.

And if you grew you OWN potatoes, your potatoes would be the same age as ... your planting season would be the same.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:14 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Fill up your sink with warm-water and antibacterial soap......throw the potatoes in and let them soak for a few minutes, then rise them good. This does work, the cleaned potatoes will dry-out before they will rot.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I can't remember the last time we had a rotten potato We store them in the original plastic bags under the counter. However, we have had a few onions go bad, and they smell just as bad.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:35 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
I keep mine in the crisper drawer in the fridge, they easily last a month..

Old 06-24-2016, 05:42 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I have heard never to store potatoes in the fridge. They get green and the green part is toxic.

I keep mine loose in a crockery bowl in the kitchen. Once in awhile, a few go bad, but most of the time we use them up quickly.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:58 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
Buying & Storing Potatoes | Potato Buying Tips | Potato Storage Tips

I live in Florida and buy organic potatoes at Publix supermarket because regular potatoes are one of the heavily pesticide-sprayed veggies. The link above disagrees with several suggestions given:

It says do not wash them before storing, do NOT put them in the fridge or they will taste bitter. Keep them in the ventilated plastic bag they came in or a paper bag.

My solution is to buy no more potatoes than we eat in a week and when they start to sprout cook up a larger batch for mashed potatoes and freeze/refrigerate the extra to make potato pancakes. I LOVE potatoes, must be the Irish in me, and have them at every meal in various ways. One one my favorites is half a baked potato as dinner with cooked spinach with grated parmesan and butter and maybe shaved ham or bacon on top (real bacon). So easy and yummy.

We always use the extra baked potato leftovers to make stovetop fried potatoes the next night.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:56 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Buying & Storing Potatoes | Potato Buying Tips | Potato Storage Tips

I live in Florida and buy organic potatoes at Publix supermarket because regular potatoes are one of the heavily pesticide-sprayed veggies. The link above disagrees with several suggestions given:

It says do not wash them before storing, do NOT put them in the fridge or they will taste bitter. Keep them in the ventilated plastic bag they came in or a paper bag.

My solution is to buy no more potatoes than we eat in a week and when they start to sprout cook up a larger batch for mashed potatoes and freeze/refrigerate the extra to make potato pancakes. I LOVE potatoes, must be the Irish in me, and have them at every meal in various ways. One one my favorites is half a baked potato as dinner with cooked spinach with grated parmesan and butter and maybe shaved ham or bacon on top (real bacon). So easy and yummy.

We always use the extra baked potato leftovers to make stovetop fried potatoes the next night.
My feeling is that you are WAY over thinking potatoes. I do not buy Organic because it is a rip off. We are just 2 people, but we easily go through 10# of regular potatoes a month...and so far we have not perished from the dreaded pesticides.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:47 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My feeling is that you are WAY over thinking potatoes. I do not buy Organic because it is a rip off. We are just 2 people, but we easily go through 10# of regular potatoes a month...and so far we have not perished from the dreaded pesticides.
Pesticides build up in your tissue so you will not notice problems right away. I LOVE that Publix has started carrying more organic veggies, especially because the price is so little more than regular pesticide potatoes. really, only $1 more for 5 pounds. I think that's a good deal because I used to travel an hour to Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) to buy certain organic produce such as apples and potatoes.

I am actually a gardener (see my name ha) but cannot grow potatoes in Florida, tried and failed. Have to buy them. Most Florida gardeners grow sweet potatoes, that's on my list butI really love white potatoes (and hubby does not eat sweet potatoes).

I completely understand that some people do not believe organic produce is worth the price but we are just 2 people and don't eat a whole lot and want what we eat to be the best. It's all about what YOU want to eat and I'm not telling anyone else what to do. I also buy non-antibiotic chicken and beef (at Publix) but we only eat 4 oz. each of meat per dinner and when it's on sale I stock up.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
Idaho potatoes or reds;

It seem it doesn't pay to bag up on potatoes these days as they seem to spoil so quickly.

I have tried to keep them in a cool dry place in the pantry, tried to keep them in the bottom of the refrigerator ...........nothing seem to last very long.

Is there any tricks ?
There are only the two of us, we are not huge consumers of potatoes and we still seem to have few problems with spoilage as long as they are fresh when we purchase them. Sometimes I will have to toss a couple of them or boil them up and save them for hash browns. I just keep them under the kitchen sink cause that is where my mom and dad always kept them. I do think the new potatoes or reds last longer than russets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink