Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
One whack with even a butter knife works fine.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 11:35 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
One whack with my chef's knife and the garlic is peeled.
This is the professional technique

Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
This sounds better:

https://www.amazon.com/Zak-Designs-Z.../dp/B00004RDDP

Best thing since sliced bread. Seriously. I have no patience for garlic peeling. This thing is amazing. I bet you can find one a dollar store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I have one of these and they are great! It does make peeling the garlic much easier. I will say though that if I am going to crush or press my garlic, I just smash it with my meat hammer and the peel comes off easily. I use the little silicone thingy when I want to chop or slice the garlic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I have and use one of these. Works great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I use this. It comes with one of those roller things but you don't even need it, it presses the garlic right through the skin and then you just scrape it out of the presser with a knife (comes out in one piece, takes about 2 seconds)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, these are great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Also have one and use it all the time

... etc...
Perhaps not. Did you read those reviews?
https://goo.gl/kJmFQw

Old 12-29-2016, 01:09 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Yeah, that's how I go about it. I took cooking classes for a number of years where there were a lot of home cooks. When I did a batch of garlic this way a lot of folks looked at me like I was a madman (well, except the instructors and sous chefs, who nodded approvingly)

Old 12-29-2016, 03:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Blanch them in boiling water for 3 or 4 minutes. The cloves will slip right out of the skin.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Blanch them in boiling water for 3 or 4 minutes. The cloves will slip right out of the skin.
So will the flavor.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:53 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildridge View Post
I don't always peel garlic, especially when I'm cooking something like pot roast. I just bruise it a little and throw it in the pot, skin and all.
I used to use specific amounts of garlic in braised dishes. Now, I take an entire head of garlic, slice the head in half crosswise, and toss it in the braising liquid.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
One whack with my chef's knife and the garlic is peeled.
I was nearly 50 before I discovered this little trick. But, not being much of a wacker, I just smash the clove with the flat edge of a broad knife. OH! It's a chef's knife??? Well, hey, something else to learn! I might be a cook before I die!

Old 12-29-2016, 07:00 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I saw this once on a cooking show, it really works.
I put a handful of the cloves of garlic into a cereal sized bowl.....I then put the same size bowl on top and holding both bowls closed rim to rim..... shake hard, up/down sideways, very hard. You'll see the peelings fluffing out of the bowls....stop after a bit, remove any of the peeled cloves, re-shake, repeat til all cloves are naked.

Or, simply buy already peeled garlic at the market.
This method was already offered and applauded in an earlier post with video. See post #8.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:16 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
This sounds better:

https://www.amazon.com/Zak-Designs-Z.../dp/B00004RDDP

Best thing since sliced bread. Seriously. I have no patience for garlic peeling. This thing is amazing. I bet you can find one a dollar store.
A plastic jar opener does the same thing, and it's a whole lot cheaper. Just roll it around the garlic, rub it back and forth a couple times, and remove the peel from the opener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink