Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 12:04 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's nothing like the chicken and dumplings I grew up with. Just sayin'.

My grown kids always request that I make a big batch of chicken and dumplings, and black eyed peas, and corn bread, and maybe some collard greens, when they visit. I have to have all that READY for them when they come! LOL
I'll take the cornbread and collard greens and maybe a little of the blackeyed peas, although there are other beans I prefer. Will let you know when I'm on my way. And hey, I'd TRY the dumplings!

Old 06-29-2023, 07:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'll take the cornbread and collard greens and maybe a little of the blackeyed peas, although there are other beans I prefer. Will let you know when I'm on my way. And hey, I'd TRY the dumplings!
LOL that's all I can ask! Come on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 08:01 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
I’m Cajun so I’ve tried many different foods and cannot stomach oysters, whether raw or cooked. Recent stories of severe sickness from eating certain oysters makes me glad I refuse to eat them again.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:07 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Love cornbread. We make a sweet cornbread to go with a bowl of chili. The sweet cornbread complements the spicy and savory chili. I like black eyed peas as a side or in my favorite easy meal. I take a chopped mix of onions, bell peppers, garlic, and celery and sauté them in a skillet with a bit of oil. Once sautéed, add a pound of your choice of ground meat (I do ground chuck) and brown. Once browned, open a can of your favorite flavor Roytel tomatoes and a can of black eyed peas and dump both in the skillet without draining. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low boil and cover loosely. Cook a pot of rice. Cook in the skillet to desired thickness to pour over a plate of rice and stir. It’s great when served alongside a green salad with vegetables and a light dressing.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:13 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Chicken wings
Sushi
Greens
Oysters
Clams

Yuck, don't get the appeal.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:21 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Your overhyped "I don't get the appeal" food.
Salads.
I used to just accept them and cover up the lack of taste with salad dressing. I bought into the idea that lettuce and celery were part of some sort of "balanced diet".
I got over all that I guess. Last night at dinner I ordered prime rib and asparagus. Period.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:14 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Hot & spicy. I have been (inadvertently) eating spicy things all my adult life. I am not any closer to enjoying them. I just bought some store-made guacamole, it's too spicy for me, and I usually love guac. I'll soldier through it somehow, but I just don't get the appeal.

Old 07-01-2023, 10:59 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Hot & spicy. I have been (inadvertently) eating spicy things all my adult life. I am not any closer to enjoying them. I just bought some store-made guacamole, it's too spicy for me, and I usually love guac. I'll soldier through it somehow, but I just don't get the appeal.
To each their own. I adore spicy food to a level which even I consider to be sometimes irresponsible.

I’d like to add to my list from before. I don’t get fusion cuisines - they have always IMHO come out as a muddled mess. Likewise, super gourmet versions of comfort food just miss the point and miss the mark. And I’m going to double down on meat - I call myself a natural vegetarian because I basically never crave meat. I kind of tolerate it as an additive to a meal, like meat sauce on spaghetti, but it’s always somebody else adding it as I probably never would even think of doing it on my own. And I don’t do big slabs of meat as the center of a meal, such as a steak or chicken breast with sides. There are a few exceptions like chicken fried steak or chicken Parmesan, but not many and I don’t eat them often.

Old 07-02-2023, 05:45 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I agree. Mac and cheese is such a basic comfort food (I'm not a huge fan but like it OK in the right circumstances) that trying to luxe it up seems, to me, to fall flat. It's a waste of good lobster meat, and let's get real...there's rarely more than a nugget of it anyway.
In a nearby town, someone just opened an "I Love Mac N' Cheese!" place (Mac N' Cheese 'and more.') Hubs says 'another place headed to bankruptcy.'

I do love mac and cheese, though. Homemade. Plain and simple.

Old 07-02-2023, 06:01 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
I don't understand chicken and waffles. I only ever had waffles that you put in the toaster and then put ice cream between them, and that was when I was a kid. I know some people eat them with syrup like pancakes, too. I have also seen those big Belgian waffles with fruit and whipped cream, but I never had one.

How they went from a food you eat with ice cream to one you eat with fried chicken is a mystery. Do they put nuts and chocolate syrup on fried chicken now, too? Or a chicken banana split? Lol.
Oh MightyQueen.....Dad used to take us to Coney Island and you could get that waffle with strawberries and a ginormous pile of whipped cream! For me, as a kid, that was heaven!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink