Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 06:58 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
SOS (Shizit on a Shingle)! I had a hankering for this not too long ago. I made it with Steak Umms that I sliced thinner and mixed with cream of mushroom soup, poured over garlic Texas toast.
How did you slice Steak Umms thinner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 08:23 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I think all you geezers are ignoring that a person's sense of taste (as well as the other senses) changes as the years lengthen:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article...as%20you%20age.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/teeth...change-you-age

Old 02-02-2024, 10:31 AM

217 posts, read 141,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think all you geezers are ignoring that a person's sense of taste (as well as the other senses) changes as the years lengthen:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article...as%20you%20age.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/teeth...change-you-age
I'm not that old, 30, but i swear almost everything tastes worse these days. Also when I go to pizza places they put less cheese and sauce on the pizza; every slice is thin as paper. Might just be a West Coast thing because last year i did a trip to Washington D.C. and tried this pizza manned by Africans and it was how i remembered pizza being. Only thing that still tastes good is ice cream, and, of course, things like vegetables and meat.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:42 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
All over my backyard.
Are we talking about the little tiny wild strawberries? The ones I get in my yard aren't tasty at all. :-(

Old 02-02-2024, 10:54 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Are we talking about the little tiny wild strawberries? The ones I get in my yard aren't tasty at all. :-(
The ones I have in Maryland are not. There are a couple varieties that are, had them when I lived in Pennsylvania.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:55 AM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
When I was a kid I loved crackers called Chicken in a Biscuit. I could eat the whole box.

In my 30s I saw them in a store for the first time in years. I was thrilled. Bought a box and took them home.

Disgusting. Lol.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:21 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I was a kid I loved crackers called Chicken in a Biscuit. I could eat the whole box.

In my 30s I saw them in a store for the first time in years. I was thrilled. Bought a box and took them home.

Disgusting. Lol.
I loved those. That was the first flavored cracker as far as I know. I didn't buy them when I was in my 30s because I knew that my tastes had changed.

I did buy the Lemon Coolers cookies when they came back. They weren't the same. There was no citrus zing!

Old 02-04-2024, 10:18 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

The taste and experience of food is very different, even by the same individual, based on a bunch of factors.

Taste buds of a kid are highly tuned to sweet and fat, both needed for rapid growth. Bitter, in any form, is avoided.

An adult palate has a lot more nuance, taste for flavors that a kid might hate. I didn't care for "eewie-gooie" as a kid, but put a few escargot in front of me and I'm happy, same with frogs legs.

The level of hunger can be a big factor in tasting something new. If you are starving, shoe leather may taste good.

The ambiance is also an important factor. Associating a corn dog with a fair and lots of fun, is different than as an adult thawing a frozen corn dog to eat while watching the news.

Cost can be a factor, although it isn't for many. I've had some expensive meals. Yeah, those avoided the flaws of cheap food, but most of the time they were OK, but not memorable as food alone. There is only so much flavor in lettuce or celery.
We've all had foods/meals that we had hoped and expected to be great -- and they weren't.
They just didn't live up to the expectation, that's all.
I'm in Phila...and while most cheesesteaks have been fantasktic, I have had one or two that I thought were weak. The more one expects "great"....the higher the possibility of disappointment. That's just the way it is.

Years ago (about a dozen or more) I distinctly remember seeing a TV commercial for a Quiznos roast beef sandwich. I mean that commercial made it look soooo good. I made a special trip to get one. It sucked. Afterward, I was mad at myself for falling for the hype. BUT, every once in a while you come across a sandwich (or whatever else) that is really good. I had hoped that one would have been. Again coming from Phila I know what good roast pork or beef sandwich can taste like.

On the plus side, this past year I was in Chicago -- and HAD to get a "Chicago hot dog." Oh my G-d the chili, the toppings, the rol,l the dog..... it was fantastic. That DID live up to expectations. I got two A good chili dog...is really good. I hadn't had any kind of a hotdog in DECADES...OMG it was good. I love a goo chili dog. There's just no convenient place near me to get one (that I know of).

Old 02-05-2024, 07:05 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There are foods we eat that we associate with fond memories of our childhood with loved ones. But decades later when we taste them we realize that don’t taste as good but we eat them because of the association with our memories. A trip to the park included cheaply made chili dogs, small bag of Lance potato chips, and cans of Shasta or Check cola. As a kid it tasted fantastic. As an adult it is subpar. Looking back i can see that it was the best my parents could afford at the time. A cheap breakfast we enjoyed was homemade cornbread in a small bowl of milk to eat like a cereal.
It's not your palate. Because the products themselves have changed into garbage.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:59 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How did you slice Steak Umms thinner?

Lengthwise, not flatter LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink