Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 11:22 AM

17,357 posts, read 16,498,076 times

Advertisements

French onion soup used to be on every menu. I don't really see it that much anymore. Actually I have to retract that, apparently it's still offered at Panera, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, etc.

Maybe it's just me that hasn't eaten it in eons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 11:42 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Whether at home or in a deli or pub, I really like a good meatloaf as the entree with potato and veggie, or as the filling in a sandwich with a sturdy bread. I think meatloaf just doesn't have the good connotations though, which is unfortunate - it can be very good!

Old 03-11-2024, 11:59 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
French onion soup used to be on every menu. I don't really see it that much anymore. Actually I have to retract that, apparently it's still offered at Panera, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, etc.

Maybe it's just me that hasn't eaten it in eons.
I had it last week. The pub-type place near my house is known for its french onion soup. Got it last time with a salad. Time before that my friend and I both got the soup and split a crabcake slider appetizer.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:33 PM

7,000 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Scampi never left Italian restaurant menus. Blackened stuff never completely went away.
Maybe I am wrong, but scampi and blackened anything are 1990s trends in my mind. Shrimp with garlic butter will never go out of style, nor will spicy things, but I think of both as dated, like what Avocado toast will be in 2040.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Whether at home or in a deli or pub, I really like a good meatloaf as the entree with potato and veggie, or as the filling in a sandwich with a sturdy bread. I think meatloaf just doesn't have the good connotations though, which is unfortunate - it can be very good!
Just Saturday we had dinner at a local café and they have a great meatloaf dinner. Also, our local Hops & Drops had a meatloaf dinner and a meatloaf sandwich on their menu, but they closed up a couple of years ago.

Last edited by Hemlock140; 03-11-2024 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-11-2024, 12:47 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Good lists…I used to order stew beef back in the day. Don’t see it anymore.
Used to get beef stew in a bread bowl in Colorado. Loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We have a diner like that in my central Florida town of Lakeland. Reececliff Family Diner, in business since 1934 and even their head chef has been there 40 years! Let me tell you that place is very popular, especially with older folks.
I'll have to remember that next time we head to Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Almost every food item with the exception of a few I never heard can be found at most restaurants in NY especially Long Island. I guess out west or down south they aren't popular.
I think the foods are popular, but the diners themselves are gone. Put out of business by the chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Maybe I am wrong, but scampi and blackened anything are 1990s trends in my mind. Shrimp with garlic butter will never go out of style, nor will spicy things, but I think of both as dated, like what Avocado toast will be in 2040.
That's kind of the question behind this. What makes them "trendy" and out of style? (Not specifically scampi, but many of these foods) Is the trend driven by taste or is it driven by what the chains decide can be batch produced the easiest? Even the few "mom & pop" places are mostly serving what comes pre packaged and canned out of the Sysco truck.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:52 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I think "blackened" stuff was an 80s trend when Paul Prudhomme put the Louisiana cooking out there, but scampi has been around forever and can be found at pretty much every Italian hole in the wall. That was more of a classic dish, not a trend.

Old 03-11-2024, 01:01 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
50 years ago I used to get prime rib when my dad took me out to a restaurant. Thick, juicy cut. Last time I had it (20 years ago?) it was like a slice of roast beef. Maybe it was just that one restaurant, who knows, I don't eat much red meat anymore.
Oh my God prime rib is a staple in Montana.

I don't see a lot of things I used to see because we moved from WV/MD to Montana. There are really limited seafood options, however every damned restaurant here, including 'top end' ones have a one page burger menu. Burger, burger, burger.... that and ribeyes and filets.. You hardly see anything like chicken or pork dishes. It's beef, beef, beef.

Old 03-11-2024, 01:14 PM

17,357 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had it last week. The pub-type place near my house is known for its french onion soup. Got it last time with a salad. Time before that my friend and I both got the soup and split a crabcake slider appetizer.
Now I want a good bowl of french onion soup! I'll have to keep an eye for it the next time we go out to eat.

Old 03-11-2024, 01:20 PM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just Saturday we had dinner at a local café and they have a great meatloaf dinner. Also, our local Hops & Drops has a meatloaf dinner and a meatloaf sandwich on their menu, but they closed up a couple of years ago.
Nice, I am jealous! :-) I used to work a few doors away from a very nice deli that had a meatloaf sandwich on the menu, OMG, was that good! I make it every now and then at home myself, and I have to admit that my ex-wife learned to make a nice meatloaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink