Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 08:00 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times

Advertisements

Basically 100-bucks for 1/2 a chicken-breast kinda fancied-up, L☺L.

I like chicken-breasts, but it better be a big, meaty one if I am going to eat it as a meal. That is why I mainly eat thighs and legs, fattier and more satisfying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 10:26 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Could it be this, Coq au vin?
https://static.cordonbleu.edu/Files/MediaFile/74981.jpg

Or Canard à l'orange?
https://www.tasteatlas.com/images/di...74.jpg?mw=1300
https://www.luvaduck.com.au/images/m...5auto_s_c1.jpg

Old 04-09-2024, 07:10 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Basically 100-bucks for 1/2 a chicken-breast kinda fancied-up, L☺L.

I like chicken-breasts, but it better be a big, meaty one if I am going to eat it as a meal. That is why I mainly eat thighs and legs, fattier and more satisfying.
Live hens that lay eggs are more expensive than roosters, chicken meat too but rooster meat is not that popular and scarce. If a Michelin star restaurant prepared a rooster stewed in Burgundy or Bordeaux wine, and then "flambé au cognac" before serving it to the customer, so just figure out the cost of the wine and liqueur used.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:49 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Coq Au Vin is it! At least as far as how it looked. Not sure on the sauce, but maybe. They came out on plates with a few veggies of some kind I forget and a couple lines of some kind of sauce.

Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
This was around the year 2000. My wife's employer had a very good year so took all the couples to a fancy 4 or 5 star restaurant. There were only three main dishes available. I remember one was some kind of Calimari. the vast majority chose this chicken dish. It was like a half chicken breast but not a whole heck of a lot of meat on it. The distinguishing thing about the chicken was that one of the wing or leg bones was sticking out perpendicular to the body of the bird. There were no heavy sauces or things like stuffing with the bird. It was all fancy and expensive, but I left hungrier than I came in.

I appreciated the gesture, but it seemed a waste as most people we talked to found the meal to be too small, not all that tasty and many were still hungry. It was around a hundred dollars a plate in the year 2000.

I guess I am an unkempt barbarian or something.

Anyway. Anyone have any ideas what the name of the dish was?
It sounds like you are referring to airline chicken.

Quote:
Airline chicken breast is a cut comprising of a boneless chicken breast with the drumette attached. This elegant cut has the skin on breast with the first wing joint and tenderloin attached, otherwise boneless. The cut is also known as a frenched breast.
Yes, no surprises for how it got its name.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

23,588 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Everyone is avoiding the "Question du jour" ... Did it taste like chicken?

Calamari can be tough, and many people are afraid of it. One of the easy high-end dishes is a capon, immature small Cornish hen, that is supposedly much more tender. Moving a wing up might be an affectation of the chef, or a simple method to determine doneness in a mass event, where underdone fowl can have Lawyers crying foul. The legends around convention chicken in Las Vegas might make you vegetarian.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Everyone is avoiding the "Question du jour" ... Did it taste like chicken?

Calamari can be tough, and many people are afraid of it. One of the easy high-end dishes is a capon, immature small Cornish hen,
A capon is a castrated rooster, not a hen. Caponise is literally the verb to castrate a rooster. They are also bigger than a typical chicken used for meat and are not usually immature – there is no need to caponise an immature rooster it would taste the same.

You may be thinking of a spatchcock, which are called poussin in the UK not sure what they are called in the US, which is a small chicken that is often spatchcocked and cooked on a grill.

Old Today, 10:59 AM

23,588 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
A capon is a castrated rooster, not a hen. Caponise is literally the verb to castrate a rooster. They are also bigger than a typical chicken used for meat and are not usually immature – there is no need to caponise an immature rooster it would taste the same.

You may be thinking of a spatchcock, which are called poussin in the UK not sure what they are called in the US, which is a small chicken that is often spatchcocked and cooked on a grill.
You are correct. I was thinking of immature Cornish hen and added capon without thinking. Mea culpa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink