Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 07:31 PM

14,426 posts, read 11,892,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Believe me, I think TJ's customer service is Top-Notch. I asked because except once in NJ, I've only been to the TJs local to me in NC, I was just curious if that's the norm around the country.
It absolutely is. I've been to TJs in multiple states, and they are all that way. Friendly, personable, knowledgeable and always willing to take time out to help. My nephew is a team member (what they call employees) in Oklahoma City and they definitely treat their employees well, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 05:08 AM

68,387 posts, read 54,643,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It absolutely is. I've been to TJs in multiple states, and they are all that way. Friendly, personable, knowledgeable and always willing to take time out to help. My nephew is a team member (what they call employees) in Oklahoma City and they definitely treat their employees well, too.

They should, they're quite an asset to their business. I like that you can usually get an honest assessment of one of their products from the workers there.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:46 AM

35,449 posts, read 17,354,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Yes, they are 100% about taking care of the customer and the customer experience. They are always well staffed. A far cry from most stores of any variety these days. Another thing I love, is that they have about 12 registers and at least 10 of them are always manned, meaning that you rarely have more than 2 people in front of you on any visit. Nothing drives me more nuts when grocery shopping than being in a store where there are 15 registers and only 2 are manned with 6 people waiting in each line, and the rest at self checkout (like just about ANY Safeway or Albertsons). TJ's is far better priced than either of those two places as well.
Part of being "far better priced" is that with their staffing, goods are not flying out of the store for free.

Old 05-05-2024, 09:38 AM

12,716 posts, read 9,903,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, I have noticed that also - I mean there are some good people running the registers in other stores, but they are mixed in with people that seem bored, or distracted, or even surly... the folks at TJ's are more upbeat, energetic, ready to engage in discussion... and if you're walking the aisle and someone sees that you're looking for something - they just come right up to you and say "Can I help you find something?"... you can get some help at other stores too, but they won't come to you on their own initiative like that. I am sure they are both motivated people and well trained to provide good customer service too - they're trying to ensure you have a positive experience there.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:18 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,366,721 times
TJ's staff to me feels like what record store staff used to be. Similar vibe. I suspect working there is seen as a 'step up' in many circles from a regular retail job.

But there is always a trade-off. TJs as a rule are on too small a footprint on purpose (a regular grocery store tends to be as much as 4-5 times bigger). That saves a lot of rent and utilities. The revenue generated per sq ft dwarfs most other retailers, which of course also allows them to select locations in denser areas closer to their preferred clientele.

But it also means that it's often a bit of a circus with too many people in too small a space. Due to their layout they basically have the longest lines of any retailer, and it's not that uncommon to see the checkout line basically start close to the entrance and snake its way through the entire store (In fact, I've seen the line go literally out the door). They often need a staff person to police the end of the line.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:00 AM

14,426 posts, read 11,892,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
But it also means that it's often a bit of a circus with too many people in too small a space. Due to their layout they basically have the longest lines of any retailer, and it's not that uncommon to see the checkout line basically start close to the entrance and snake its way through the entire store (In fact, I've seen the line go literally out the door). They often need a staff person to police the end of the line.
I haven't seen that here. Even at the busiest times, there are no more than two or three people in line at any register at the TJs I frequent. If I go on a weekday morning, which I often do--it's a nice stroll from my house--there is usually no waiting. But I think that's a factor of the sheer number of stores in this area; there are at least 12 within a half hour's drive of my house so no one store is inundated.

I mentioned that my nephew works at the TJs in Oklahoma City. When it opened a few years ago, it was the only store in the entire state. Even now, I think there are only two in Oklahoma. So yes, it's very busy.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:07 AM

13,154 posts, read 7,648,555 times
blue cheese (not the best but inexpensive)
blister peanuts (can't get them anywhere else)
kefir

We walk to TJs.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:24 PM

88,973 posts, read 85,489,012 times
Organic Roasted Vegetable frozen pizza.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:39 PM

35,449 posts, read 17,354,263 times
Unsweeted dried pineapples, mangoes etc. And unsweetened fruit juices.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:31 PM

4,257 posts, read 4,793,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Organic Roasted Vegetable frozen pizza.
I've seen that...need to try it.

Went yesterday and saw some packaged 'ready to eat' lentils. Random purchase but I hope they're good. Not sure I saw anyone here mention them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink