Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:26 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Do you know the kind I mean? The kind of roast beef served at a buffet or a church get together. The big juicy rare roast beefs.

What cut is that? I've tried some different cuts but they aren't the same as the ones at a buffet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:29 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,957 times
That's prime rib.

It is the same section of beef that ribeye steaks are cut from.

Despite the name, not all "prime rib roasts" are USDA Prime; most of your Megamart cuts are going to be graded Choice. That's really OK, the rib primal is tender anyway, and if you've never made one before, a $60 piece of beef is not the best thing to practice on.

You want to roast it; but a rotisserie would be really nice. It wasn't something I would have bought for myself, but I happened to inherit a genuine Ron 'Spray on hair!' Popeil Showtime Rotisserie. You've seen the informercial - 'Set and forget it!'. It actually works great for roast beef.

If you're doing something special, maybe dry age it in the fridge for a few days (Alton Brown did a Good Eats segment on dry aging a roast that would be worth a watch).

Last edited by arsbadmojo; 11-21-2008 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I make prime rib and I love it but that's not the cut. Prime rib has more bone. The roast beef I am thinking of is sliced off the bone.(at least I think so)

Old 11-21-2008, 12:09 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,234 times
I would imagine that prime rib is served at church dinners!

Old 11-21-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I make prime rib and I love it but that's not the cut. Prime rib has more bone. The roast beef I am thinking of is sliced off the bone.(at least I think so)
In that case it's probably a similar cut, the tenderloin (just behind the rib primal) but removed from the bone - called a chateaux briand.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:21 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,220 times
Sounds like I need to go to a different church.

I think I know what your talk'n about Lisa, they type w/gravy and mashed potatoes? Don't EVER put gravy on a rib roast!

I've tried chuck and bottom round, not our fav. Top sirloin is good and our fav is tri-tip, but we use tri-tip more for french dip sam's. Tri-tip is/can be tough, but it is packed w/great flavor.

I view roast beef as a simple/cheap cut/meal.

I'm not say'n a rib roast wouldn't be good, it would be great........but a bit on the pricey side IMHO.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
In that case it's probably a similar cut, the tenderloin (just behind the rib primal) but removed from the bone - called a chateaux briand.
I thought chateaubriand was a portion of the tenderloin?

Ok, yep, thats what you basically said wasn't it.

Last edited by Capt. Cave Man; 11-21-2008 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: I'm an idiot

Old 11-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I thought chateaubriand was a portion of the tenderloin?

Ok, yep, thats what you basically said wasn't it.
Heh, yeah. Actually, I did a quick edit because my orignal post wasn't clear on that point, you probably saw the original.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 PM

One problem I've noticed, everywhere, is the term "prime rib". There is bone-in, and boneless(we call rib roast or boneless prime rib). It just has the bones removed. There is also the standing prime rib (roast), the ribeye steak, many cuts but basically the same thing.

I just don't see(or remember) ever have'n tenderloin or rib roast as roast beef.......but then again roast(how it is cooked) beef(obvious) is a pretty general term. Heck nobody is wrong.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I just don't see(or remember) ever have'n tenderloin or rib roast as roast beef.......but then again roast(how it is cooked) beef(obvious) is a pretty general term. Heck nobody is wrong.
Actually that's a very good point, I'd never describe a chateaux briand as "Roast Beef" even though it is, and I certainly wouldn't expect to see it at a church buffet. So scratch that.

So back to the drawing board.

Theory 1: It's some sort of rib roast. Possibly deboned. I base this on the "big, juicy, rare" description.

Theory 2: It's another roast. For a buffet. Means it's big. Nothing else fits. If it were big enough, no way it would be tender enough to serve rare.

Unless the OP and I have a vastly different opinion of what constitutes rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink