Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM

110 posts, read 58,744 times

Advertisements

At first I thought he was just picking or trying to be weird. My husband of three years doesn't eat any condiments. This is the list of this he won't eat! Mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, pickles, tomatoes, cucumbers, any sauces or seasonings. If I buy a can of pinto beans I have to put them in a strainer and rinse them off. If I get him a burger and its not plain he rinses the meat of and throws away the bread. Does anyone have a good recipe suggestion? Do you have a picky eater in your life, lets here some stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBeasley View Post
At first I thought he was just picking or trying to be weird. My husband of three years doesn't eat any condiments. This is the list of this he won't eat! Mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, pickles, tomatoes, cucumbers, any sauces or seasonings. If I buy a can of pinto beans I have to put them in a strainer and rinse them off. If I get him a burger and its not plain he rinses the meat of and throws away the bread. Does anyone have a good recipe suggestion? Do you have a picky eater in your life, lets here some stories!
All I can say is.... GOOD LUCK.... I thought I had it bad with my six year old You poor woman! I make one meal, stick it in front of her and if she doesn't eat it.... well.... she can eat fruit. I am really sorry.....

Old 02-10-2009, 06:02 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
What! OMG, my son got married without telling me?
Srsly, sounds just like my kid. Does your DH refuse to let different foods touch each other on the plate, or refuse to eat stews and casseroles?
When DS was little he was so bad that he would wipe his fork between eating different types of food. (Still does sometimes)
I have no idea why either, he's been reeaallly odd about his food since he was a toddler. He says some of it has to do with the food textures in his mouth. He won't eat ice cream with any kind of nuts or candy mixed in it either.
Eating out when the kids were little was "interesting", burgers with meat and bread only, tacos with meat only, salads were lettuce only, spaghetti without sauce, etc. He's gotten a little better as he's gotten older. He will eat spaghetti sauce and barbeque sauce now, sometimes gravy on a saulsbury steak. Oh, and his GF talked him into trying shrimp scampi and fettucine alfredo last summer. Little baby steps, LOL.

ETA you might google 'Supertaster', see if it sounds like your DH. We think it applies to DS and might account for some of his pickiness.

No recipes to offer, just the suggestion that you try to go ahead and fix what you like, to an extent. Just set aside a portion of whatever you are fixing before you season it or add it to a more complicated recipe, and keep it warm for DH while you continue cooking your meal. You might get him to try new things if you keep them simple, but then again you might not. DS never seems to get tired of eating the same plain boring food over and over again. UGH!!
Good luck.

Last edited by DubbleT; 02-10-2009 at 06:54 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 06:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,978 times
My husband came into my life professing that he didn't like sour cream. I guess he was thinking soured milk product. Well, after the first twice-baked potatoe with sour cream, he was hooked. If I tell him that we're just having regular baked potatoes, he says, "Let's have twice-baked. I'll do them." Love it!

His hamburger is meat, bread, cheese, and onion. Ugh, I like mine loaded. He also doesn't eat salad dressing, other than ceasar's. That's okay too because I sometimes just order an appetizer at a restaurant and then I get his salad.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,122 times
Oh my gosh.........that's awful!! I am sorry I don't have any real advice for you. It sounds very obsessive, more than just being picky if you have to rinse the beans!! Has he ever talked to anyone about this? Was he always like this growing up???

Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times
My husband eats whatever I cook for him although he does tend to gripe when I make tofu. My best girlfriend however, is the PICKIEST person I have EVER met. When we go out to eat she always picks the place because she has only a handful of restaurants she likes. When she had her baby, I actually didn't arrange to have our friends deliver meals because I KNEW she would throw it out (turns out I was right, when I was talking to her on the phone a friend of hers (who I didn't know) delivered a meal and after the person left she said, "ew, casserole, what am I going to eat for dinner now?" She said this without even taking a bite. If I ask her if she likes X the answer is 95% "no." It has to be very basic and no exotic or ethnic foods (and she has insulted people by refusing to eat certain foods that were prepared or presented to her). So, I don't cook for her and I don't invite her over for meals unless it's ordered from somewhere else. I don't know why she's so picky...

If my husband was as picky as her I would simply respect the fact that he liked things a certain way but his guidelines are too narrow, so therefore, he is more than welcome to cook his own meals (and he can cook me something too while he's at it... I'm not picky, I'll eat anything). Picky eaters should do the cooking and save us the grief.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:31 PM

110 posts, read 58,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Oh my gosh.........that's awful!! I am sorry I don't have any real advice for you. It sounds very obsessive, more than just being picky if you have to rinse the beans!! Has he ever talked to anyone about this? Was he always like this growing up???
Yes and none of his brothers are like that. He said when he was little his father whipped himfor not eatting a tomato sandwich?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,459 times
Trust me he's not that picky. I'm more picky than him and know others who are WAY more picky than me. It's not the end if the world if someone doesn't eat everything you do (I highly doubt you eat everything and you probably have things you can't stand.) I suggest you look up adult picky eaters and read some of their stories (there are quite a few of us out there.) Please cut him some slack and don't try to change him...just love him for who he is.

As for recipes look for recipes with the things he already likes ingredient wise and adjust it if there's stuff he won't eat in it. Just ask him there might be something he liked as a kid but hasn't thought about it in a long time...you never know.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,670 times
Quote:
... He said when he was little his father whipped himfor not eatting a tomato sandwich?
Well of course he should have been whipped for not eating a tomato sandwich...as should ANYONE. Just kidding. It sounds like you have a husband too firmly set in his ways at this point to expect him to become more adventurous. I hope this does not cause real friction in other areas for you.

Speaking of tomatoes, I have knows more than one person who would NOT eat any form of tomato that was not heavily processed...tomato sauce, tomato paste, tomato ketchup, BBQ sauce, smooth pasta sauces, etc. were OK, but God forbid there be anything served with recognizable slices or bit of tomato in it. No tomatoes on hamburgers, sandwiches, or salads, no visible chunks of tomato in sauces, etc. Almost to a "T" these same folks would not eat legumes unless of the type still in shell...no English pea, no pinto beans, no baked beans or 3-bean salad, no lentils, etc. Green beans and snow peas however were fine for these people.

How about those folks who will not eat GREEN food...other colors are acceptable, but NOT green. I knew one of those. No green lettuce or cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, celery, green beans, snow peas, English peas, spinach, kale, okra, pickles, Kiwi fruit, mint ice cream, etc. would cross her lips. It even extended to green herbs and such...parsley, rosemary, mint, pesto, etc. On the other hand she WOULD eat red/purple cabbage and lettuce, yellow split pea soup, and the whole world of red, orange, yellow, and white vegetables and fruits. I would almost bet that she WOULD have eaten spoiled wilted vegetables that were formerly green because their typical color would at that point have been brown or black.

I have one friend who loves boring food...no seasoning or condiments whatsoever. This was the way his mother cooked. He thinks of seasonings as being "fancy" and does not go for it. No garlic, black or red pepper, salt, sugar, or anything added to food. No butter, vinegar, or oil. He wants his meats boiled, or on occasion baked with nothing added to them. I can add my own seasoning to food he prepares, but as a rule the food is overdone and hard to salvage. The one thing he does that I just can't see he eats, is hot cereals with nothing on them. He makes grits with no salt (or sugar, butter, milk, ANYTHING), and he also makes oatmeal the same way...not even salt in the water. He just eats truly plain oatmeal, AKA wallpaper paste.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
So fix him what he likes. If you don't like it, fix something for yourself. That's what we do (I am the picky eater).

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink