Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 04:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Do you have any favorite tricks for storing food?

One I like is vacuum packing freezer bags. Poke a soda straw into a plastic bag, twist it a couple of times around the straw, and suck the air out. Then pull the straw out with your teeth, holding the bag opening tight to let in as little air as possible, and tie it with a twist tie. You can wrap up cheese nice and tight this way, or meat for the freezer, but not soft things.

I do it with dinner rolls, too, but you have to freeze them for a couple hours first, then suck the air out---otherwise the pressure will crush them. Fresh rolls keep beautifully for several days, even a week, like that. Not ziplock, just the regular plastic bags that you save after putting your produce in them at the store. (Why pay for plastic bags?) To thaw them, get a heavy saucepan or frying pan nice and hot, take it off the heat, put the rolls in and cover. After about 3 or 4 minutes, they'll be store-fresh and toasty warm.

I also keep a yogurt tub lid on a shelf in the fridge. If I use a half a cucumber or tomato or onion or banana, I balance the rest, cut side down, on the lid. No need to wrap it then.

Leafy lettuce or spinach keeps nice if you put it in a plastic bag, flick some drops of water in with your fingers, close the bag, and press it gently to slightly compress the leafy head before closing and twist-tying.

For quick on and off, use clothes pins instead of twist-ties.

Two liters of pop? Tie a stout cord tight around the bottle. Put the lid on tight, and push a wooden shim down between the cord and the plastic bottle, which will cave in the side and nicely repressurize the contents. Or twist a stick in the cord. Leave the shim there and put it in the fridge upsidedown or on its side.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-21-2009 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 05:49 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
I use zip-lock bags and close them leaving a small opening. Then I suck the air out and finish closing it. Works for me ! No messing around with straws and twist ties. Our super market is only a block and a half from us so we really don't have to stock up so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink