Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 02:59 AM

989 posts, read 2,764,721 times

Advertisements

By that I mean that they get lots of folks involved to try and "gain financial Independence", give them some seminars and info, and guess what?

The only ones who will make money will be the people "at the top" peddling the services!

Sure, they give you the seminars for free (unlike Amway which sells seminars, lots of pricey "motivational tapes", and sales literature), but when you buy a place, they want 3% of the purchase price, which is usually $5,000 - $15,000. They'll also frequently recommend "holding on to it" for a year, no doubt citing tax benefits, plus last year's great rate of return (remember those 'stock market' terms from the late 90's?)

I've been in the foreclosure biz for a few years (just got out, actually) and I have seen the 'profit margins' shrink from over 20% to barely 3%, and that is with an increase in the foreclosures coming to market. The reason is a huge increase in (in my opinion) idiots who don't know what they are doing, but are listening to people who are essentially on a Haliberton-style "cost-plus" profit margin who make more the higher they pay.

Keep in mind that shows like "Flip this house" are also not very accurate (does anybody else wonder why reality TV shows usually have several "writers" in the credits?). In my opinion, watching that show for advice is about as useful as watching soap operas for dating tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs