Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 01:22 AM

33 posts, read 172,393 times

Advertisements

I am waiting words for my offer for a client on a short sale property. Pulled
the prelim and found out that there is a 2nd loan on this house. What does this mean? Does this short sale wipe out both first and second? I hope we don't have the deal with the 2nd loan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 10:27 AM

11,844 posts, read 34,492,944 times
The Seller most certainly will have to negotiate with the second.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:46 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,264,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
The Seller most certainly will have to negotiate with the second.
Actually the only one who can deal with the second is generally the first. And if he won't it generally means foreclosure. It is however reasonably normal for the first to allow five or ten cents on the dolllar to the second to secure his cooperation. The agent can try and facilitate this transaction...

Old 11-23-2007, 11:08 AM

11,844 posts, read 34,492,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually the only one who can deal with the second is generally the first. And if he won't it generally means foreclosure. It is however reasonably normal for the first to allow five or ten cents on the dolllar to the second to secure his cooperation. The agent can try and facilitate this transaction...
In my experience the seller usually gives permission to their agent to try to negotiate a short sale with the lenders. I have had on company wait more than a year to file a foreclosure notice without payments, where they had the first and the second, and I submitted 4 offers in six months without response, even the lenders normal foreclosure attorney couln't get a response. I've had another lender wait 4 months to give an approval - where they lost $5,000. A foreclosure would have cost them at leat $15,000, for court, holding, commissions, winterizing...)

Sometimes the best thing to do is to get an investor to write an offer, before it goes into MLS, and submit the offer to the lender (all of them) with a seller information package (assests, hardship letter, w-2's, tax returns...) The seller may have tax implications on the forgiven part.

see Online Exclusive: How to Succeed at Short Sales for more info.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:35 AM

That article is pretty good. Covered all the bases.

I would note that there are official bank guidelines for a short sale. Among other things they require that an offer to pruchase be in the package before they look at it. Some banks are considering shorts without an offer but many require it.

In general somebody has to buy off the second. Cheap...but it has to happen or the second simply forces foreclosure. Normally the first has to do it. They are not going to allow the seller as that would indicate money that should go to pay the mortgage.

If the seller is not behind they likely cannot get a short sale. They may however be able to do some sort of a refinance. That is not what the agent wants to hear but is pretty close to gospel. Nobody who can pay their mortgage is going to get a short sale. Their only out is foreclosure.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:54 PM

33 posts, read 172,393 times
Thanks all, so the fact that the property is on MLS for short sale means the agent had already negotiated with the first and made arrangement? I just want to make sure if my buyer buy this property (if bank agree on the price, I offered 10% less than asking), there will be no cloud on the title.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:17 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,906,950 times
Absolutely not. There are many properties on MLS that the agents have no clue what they are doing or the bank (first) will not even considering negotiating without a contract/offer in place. Some banks require a history of the listing being on MLS before they will consider anything...they want to know that something has been done to try to offload the property.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:14 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,626,688 times
The seller does not have to be behind on their mortgage. They do have to prove financial hardship through verifiable documentation that proves inability to continue paying the mortgage for a short sale to be considered. (i.e. Loss of spousal income) Most loan mitigation departments will supply the paperwork that asks for this information in explicit terms. The short sale scenario is established because the person does not have the funds necessary to close. Part of the criteria which makes a short sale acceptable to the bank is the persons credit and recent willingness to pay as well as an absence of liquid assets.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
The seller does not have to be behind on their mortgage. They do have to prove financial hardship through verifiable documentation that proves inability to continue paying the mortgage for a short sale to be considered. (i.e. Loss of spousal income) Most loan mitigation departments will supply the paperwork that asks for this information in explicit terms. The short sale scenario is established because the person does not have the funds necessary to close. Part of the criteria which makes a short sale acceptable to the bank is the persons credit and recent willingness to pay as well as an absence of liquid assets.
True - But practically that tends to be the way it is. The source was a Countrywide Loan Mitigation guy explaining short sales to a couple of hundred realtors. Basically his view was that if you are current there are likely other routes to fix your financial problems and you may well have resources that don't show on paper.

The bank cares first about whether the seller has the resources to make the mortgage payments. If so...no short. Having made the mortgage payments in the past is a good indication that they may well be able to in the future.

Might also note that many Banks Loan Mitigation Departments are running hopelessly understaffed and behind. So finding out whether a short will work may be an impossible problem.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:25 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,626,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
True - But practically that tends to be the way it is. The source was a Countrywide Loan Mitigation guy explaining short sales to a couple of hundred realtors. Basically his view was that if you are current there are likely other routes to fix your financial problems and you may well have resources that don't show on paper.

The bank cares first about whether the seller has the resources to make the mortgage payments. If so...no short. Having made the mortgage payments in the past is a good indication that they may well be able to in the future.

Might also note that many Banks Loan Mitigation Departments are running hopelessly understaffed and behind. So finding out whether a short will work may be an impossible problem.
lol...this is finally, probably true.....in the past they have just been notoriously difficult to reach.....phone tag experts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs