Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 06:51 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,849,323 times

Advertisements

In plain english please- I am interested in purchasing a home that is listed as a short sale-

I was told the following:

- it's a great deal
- it take a really long time for a short sale offer to be accepted
- realtors don't like these deals as they don't always get paid
- you have to have impeccable credit to buy a short sale home
- Someone can yank the house out from under you up until closing

Is it as bad as all that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 07:08 AM

582 posts, read 2,011,438 times
I'm not a realtor but I have been reading a lot about it on here. Basically, a short sale can or can not be a great deal... it means the sellers are going to the bank to approve a sale for less than the mortgage is and trying to get the bank to forgive the rest of it... or they are going to put together a separate payment plan. The reason I say it may or may not be a great deal is because it's a short sale based on whatever the mortgage was... which means the person could have bought at the peak and even as a short sale it's higher than others in the neighborhood.

It can take awhile for the bank to approve a short sale, I've heard of that happening. Your realtor should be able to get in touch with someone to see how far the process of approval has already gone. I have seen some where they are advertising a short sale but they haven't spoken to the bank about it yet, and others where they have gotten approval for a short sale and a payment plan but only if the house sells for X dollars.

I'm not sure of the rest, but I'm sure some of the realtors here can tell you.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:49 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,152,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
In plain english please- I am interested in purchasing a home that is listed as a short sale-

- it's a great deal

1. It's a great deal

NOT necessarily true, make sure you compare the home to others for sale in the are that meet your criteria. Use a buyer's agent that will give you an honest CMA and clearly show you if the short sale property really is a great deal. There are alot of short sales that are over priced.

2. Yes it can take a long time for a shor sale offer to be accepted

3.On the buyer's side for a realtor, they will still get paid, likely just not as much as they would on another property. Banks will typically only accept a short sale offer with a lowered commission set for the agents. And since the Listing agent is doing 90% of the work involved with the short sale, they deserve a higher portion of the commission.

4. You don't necessarily need impeccable credit, as much as you need a solid Pre-approval, money to put down, and an overall strong offer.

5. Once a sales contract is signed no one can yank the property from under you. Once both sign the sales contract the contract dictates what goes on. As long as you follow all the deadlines to the T and close on time, the home is yours. Up until the contract is fully executed/signed by both parties anyone can get the property.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:36 AM

10,997 posts, read 22,038,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post

- it's a great deal

A short sale is when the home is worth less than the current mortgage. The owner may or may not be behind on payments but they are asking the bank to take a loss on the difference in what is owed and current worth.

- may or may not be a great deal
-it normally does take longer than usual because you have to wait on a bank
-realtors do get paid on short sales, but they are more difficult for listing agents
-you just need to able to get a loan or have the cash, you don't need "impeccable credit
-not if you have an accepted offer

Old 12-09-2007, 05:37 AM

Thank you very much for the great information.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,077,639 times
I want to know what kind of shorts you get? Bermuda, surfer, daisy dukes maybe?
Sorry couldn't resist...

Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 AM

PFFT Jimj!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs