Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:08 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by house-hunter View Post
anyway, in regard to this thread there are many forclosures out there and they can be found by calling the banks that now own them. just my .02
They are found much earlier than that by speculators who know to scour all the local newspapers for Notices of Sale. They then appear at the courthouse steps when the property is being auctioned. They also make sure that they have the requisite 10% down in hand at the time if they intend to bid.

Once the lender has actually taken back the property by way of foreclosure sale, they will ask whatever price they wish for the house they now own. Keep in mind that they will have expenses to recoup other than simply the remaining balance on the mortgage. All these other expenses have been factored into the upset price that their attorney worked from at the sale.

Those who want to pay the least possible amount for a foreclosure are more likely to get it at the foreclosure sale itself, not afterwards when the property has been put into the hands of the lender's realtor (and the realtor's commission is then factored into the price the lender wishes to get). Of course the lender can decide to take x cents on the dollar when selling post-sale, depending on the market. In a hot market like the NY Metro area, unless the house is a total wreck and/or in a bad area, the lender probably won't be inclined to do that and will want to at least break even.

In parts of the country where there are MANY foreclosures, things can be different. However, in general, buying foreclosures is not for the fainthearted or cash-strapped.

Last edited by OvertaxedOnLI; 03-20-2007 at 11:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 09:50 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
They are found much earlier than that by speculators who know to scour all the local newspapers for Notices of Sale. They then appear at the courthouse steps when the property is being auctioned. They also make sure that they have the requisite 10% down in hand at the time if they intend to bid.
This is kind of theoretcial, since I don't intent to go this route, but something I have been wondering - how exactly does one show up with 10% cash in hand? For example, a house near me was advertised as being up for a forclosure auction last Friday*, and it said the deposit was listed as $32k. Now, say I have $32k in the bank, I'm not going to bring it in cash. And how would one deal with a cashier's check - you don't want it made out to the auction company, b/c how would you deal with it if you didn't win. And my personal check for $32k isn't going to fly. So logistically, how does this work?

* out of curiosity, my husband and I drove buy it. It literally had an AMTRACK line in the back yard and a trailer park across the street, and it was still valued at ~$350k (most recent sale on the street was $384k, but was 8 months ago). I don't think we would have bought it for even $32k LOL

Old 03-21-2007, 10:11 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
You could have a bank check or a cashier's check made out in your name which could be endorsed over, or you could present a line of credit letter (TWIMC) based on your balance and provided by your bank. They could then call your banker, provided it's during business hours, and put a hold on your accout for the amount of your personal check.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:46 AM

11 posts, read 101,062 times
Establish a relationship with a title co. You can get defaults REO's and a list of renters to market your newly renovated property to.

Take Care

Last edited by Marka; 03-23-2007 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: no signatures, please

Old 03-27-2007, 04:15 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,167 times
wow, i've been wondering if all the "free" trial offer companies really know you can get this infomation for free.. thanks that helped me too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs