Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean79 View Post
Up here in north-central PA, we don't know crunch grouper. Is that what you all call deep fried grouper in Florida? I've only heard of grouper (good things), but we'll make a point to find some while we're visiting.

I'll check into a rental car. But, the last time we rented a car, it stayed in the hotel garage the entire weekend. Would have been cheaper (and easier) to take a shuttle to and from the airport. Of course, that was downtown Chicago... probably a little different than FMB. The island looks pretty long, but it can't be more than a half mile (or so) wide. Right? Is everything so spread out that we'll absolutely need a car? Is the trolley system not really a useful mode of transportation for getting around the island for a few days?

I'm making a list of restaurant and other recommendations. Thanks.

i heard a lot about grouper as well before coming down... tried it twice, maybe 3x's a charm because i have been disappointed first two times. Maybe it's a new englander thing i think the cold water fish taste better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 AM

11 posts, read 18,478 times
Does that Beach Trolley only have three stops on the island? Or, are those just the main points with smaller stops in between?

I'm starting to feel like I'm asking too many questions here, but you have all been very helpful. So... one more question.

Since the trolley looks like it stops running around 9:00 p.m., would it be safe to walk a couple miles at night - around midnight? We're not opposed to taking a long walk - unless it's dangerous. Is the island pretty safe after dark, or do we not need to worry about things like that?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 AM

6 posts, read 14,723 times
Ft. Myers is an absolute beauty! Spring Breakers will definitely still be around, but they hang on the north end of the island near Times Square. If you want to distance from that crowd, stay mid island or more south. We have always stayed Mid Island because too far south and you have a cove off the Gulf in front of you not the direct Gulf itself. Also, less walking distance from the door to the sand and water if you stay mid island! The place we stayed for years unfortunately isn't there due to the hurricane in mid 2000's, but a place similar is The Sandpiper Gulf Resort.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean79 View Post

Since the trolley looks like it stops running around 9:00 p.m., would it be safe to walk a couple miles at night - around midnight? We're not opposed to taking a long walk - unless it's dangerous. Is the island pretty safe after dark, or do we not need to worry about things like that?
Anything can happen, of course, but you are probably going to be fine. Let's put it this way, I'd walk it with my 11-year-old. The area is a lot nicer than Daytona or Myrtle Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
i heard a lot about grouper as well before coming down... tried it twice, maybe 3x's a charm because i have been disappointed first two times. Maybe it's a new englander thing i think the cold water fish taste better.
Yes! New England seafood all the way! Ever notice that Midwesterners usually don't like seafood? I'm convinced it's because they've never had GOOD New England seafood. My husband is from Chicago, hates seafood. I gave him a scallop from a Boston purveyor and he was amazed. Cod and haddock is always the way to go, but if you've never had it you'll think grouper is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
it's snowing right now...Welcome spring
I know. I talked to my mother a couple of hours ago. She's disgusted. In all of her 76 years she has never seen that much snow. I can't get her to move away, though.

It's 75 in Knoxville. It's been nice for the last 6 weeks.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHORN View Post
Ft. Myers is an absolute beauty! Spring Breakers will definitely still be around, but they hang on the north end of the island near Times Square. If you want to distance from that crowd, stay mid island or more south. We have always stayed Mid Island because too far south and you have a cove off the Gulf in front of you not the direct Gulf itself. Also, less walking distance from the door to the sand and water if you stay mid island! The place we stayed for years unfortunately isn't there due to the hurricane in mid 2000's, but a place similar is The Sandpiper Gulf Resort.
Oh, and I think this is excellent advice.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:44 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,131 times
I'm wondering if Crunchy = Conch?

Old 03-21-2011, 05:50 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,970,381 times
Crunchy grouper can be broiled or fried and it typically has a "crunchy" coating/topping similar to ritz crackers or even better with corn flakes.

Best place for Crunchy Grouper? - Sanibel Island Message Board - TripAdvisor

I'm not going to argue that it's better than NE fish as I enjoy cod and haddock. Grouper is just one of the best local fish to eat so if you want local cuisine then it's the way to go. Snapper and Red Fish are also solid choices. I prefer my Red Fish blackend or cooked with a cajuin seasoning.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:39 PM

11 posts, read 18,478 times
Thank you, to everyone who has offered suggestions, opinions, and/or advice. After looking at lodging options on FMB and Sanibel/Captiva, we decided to stay mid-island FMB - actually at a place listed above (it's the one my wife liked the best). We're also keeping a list of food/restaurant options. The place we're staying has outdoor grills, I don't know how easy it is to find fresh seafood down there, but grilling out could be an option.

Has anyone used the trolley on Fort Myers Beach? The schedule makes it look like there are only three or four stops on the whole island... does it make other stops along the route, or am I interpreting it incorrectly?

Right now, it's 27 degrees here. That's supposed to be our high today. We're heading down to FMB next weekend - the local forecast says it should heat up to 34 degrees with snow here by then. Looks like FMB is going to get some rain this week. Hope it's all gone by the weekend.

You all have been a lot of help. Any other last minute advice or suggestions before the weekend gets here?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:59 PM

There's Beach Seafood Market which is right across the bridge. There is also a couple of seafood markets on island, if I remember correctly. You'll see working shrimp and fish boats in the bay.

The trolley stops more than that.

All I can say is "enjoy."

It's been at least 16 years since I've dealt with all that cold. I tend to forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area