Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM

5 posts, read 14,529 times

Advertisements

Lets just get right to it. Due to a job, i may have to uproot my family and move to Cape Coral. My wife watches Nancy Grace, so that means I watch Nancy Grace, and there seem to be alot of missing and abducted children from the Florida area. I looked through the missing children state by state, and Florida was only behind California, and surprisingly Virginia. Texas also was up there, but Florida beat it out. I saw thee were 225 registered sex offenders in that area, plus another 27 that were non- mappable. 15 of which actually lived in Cape Coral, one lived less than a mile from one of the schools. Long story short, will i be putting my children @ a higher risk for abduction, or any violence against them by moving to the area specified? I thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 AM

282 posts, read 1,010,049 times
I would think with a population of 150,000 (Cape Coral) that is low. Crime is everywhere but I think Cape Coral has fairly low crime.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelala View Post
I would think with a population of 150,000 (Cape Coral) that is low. Crime is everywhere but I think Cape Coral has fairly low crime.
I thank you for your reply, and i really do want to make the move. Im just really nervous about my kids, i already watch them like a hawk, but it only takes a sec for someone to grab them. What are the schools like in the area. I heard you can choose which one to send them to?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 PM

616 posts, read 1,566,823 times
According to the National Center for Missing Children - out of the 200 some kids missing in Florida - 0 came from Cape Coral.

Lee County (schools are by county wide - not city) schools have School Assignment. You're best bet is to find out what zone you're going to be living in and then you'll have to apply to see if you get your choice of school within your zone. Here's a good starting place to read more about School Assignment: Welcome to The School District of Lee County

Old 03-26-2011, 03:04 PM

198 posts, read 483,262 times
I wonder what percentage of missing children are abducted by a family member?

Old 03-26-2011, 03:55 PM

282 posts, read 1,010,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffernutter1 View Post
I thank you for your reply, and i really do want to make the move. Im just really nervous about my kids, i already watch them like a hawk, but it only takes a sec for someone to grab them. What are the schools like in the area. I heard you can choose which one to send them to?
I can't help you with that, my youngest is 25. But I totally understand how you feel, I think my kids were teenagers before I let them out of the yard, LOL.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,377,168 times
There's a discussion about this on the main Florida page and it is quite good.

Apparently, Florida is in about the middle of the pack regarding offenders. And the other thing is it is one of the very few states that has an excellent tracking and reporting system. So that means some states may look like there are less but it may be because the state is not doing a good job of registering and tracking offenders. I really don't think you are going to find more offenders in Cape Coral as opposed to somewhere else. Yes, there have been some horrific stories of child abductions in the state, but none of them were in Lee County.

I think part of the reason that the state is so good at tracking offenders is the law stems from the Adam Walsh law that was born in Florida.

Few states meet deadline for sex-offender tracking system - Standard-Examiner

This map will ease your fears:

Map: Registered Sex Offenders By State : NPR

Cape Coral has one of the lowest crime rates in the state. It's the second lowest. Half the people on this forum will tell you that I am over the moon when it comes to my child but I feel that Cape Coral is a very safe place to raise a child. I don't feel the same way about Fort Myers, though.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,354,982 times
I think that the safety of the children depends entirely on the intelligence of the parents.
Not on the location.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 PM

Default thank you

Thank you all for your kindness, i truly appreciate it. Im a pretty laid back kind of person, but when it comes to my children, i can get a little tense, and very overprotective. I think in this day and age, a person almost has to be overprotective. Ive been researching all i can, and i plan to check out those links. Thank you again my friends, and stay safe.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,354,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffernutter1 View Post
Thank you all for your kindness, i truly appreciate it. Im a pretty laid back kind of person, but when it comes to my children, i can get a little tense, and very overprotective. I think in this day and age, a person almost has to be overprotective. Ive been researching all i can, and i plan to check out those links. Thank you again my friends, and stay safe.
Good for you.
Better safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area