Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,352,058 times

Advertisements

"The average monthly water and sewer bill is $111.26 and will go to $119.49 next year, City Councilman Kevin McGrail said. Another 8 percent hike in 2012 would raise it to about $129."

Unbelievable.
Talk about sticking it to the citizens of Cape Coral, your friendly Government at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 09:40 AM

518 posts, read 1,232,206 times
There is no doubt about that. Everyone that had anything to do with this corrupt system should be in jail and fined for the mess they have created for years to come. Sooner or later they will have to refinance the bond money or just fold. Make sure you vote down the new bond they want to pass in November to help pay for this messed up system. By passing this bond they will be recharging all of the old people that already paid there fees again in there taxes. They can't keep increasing on the few for a system that was designed for the many. The last thing they need is more money. The water dept. needs to be forced to restructure there debt at a level that the few can afford to pay at smaller amounts for now.With a clause that when the growth does come at a later date the larger debt will be able to be serviced only by more people.That should still keep water bills lower for everyone. Borrowing from peter to pay paul never works. The town is like a lot of the home owners in this city broke. But they just refuse to go broke. There ideal is to take everyone down with them by increasing the fees in till all off us are broke with them.Vote no on the bonds and vote out any person in office that asks for fee increases at a later date.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,095,443 times
The council voted down the bond at the last meeting

Old 05-04-2011, 12:24 PM

great

Old 05-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I don't unerstand the problem. Here in Seattle where it rains 40" a year the average bill is more than that and has been for several years.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:46 PM

Its know wonder the public gets robbed all the time from the government. There is a large group of people in the US that don't mind because they are already getting screwed in there own home town. Then they move somewhere else to retire and think its cheap here only because we haven't been robbed that much yet. I have a home in a state where the water falls out of the sky also but its free for me to use. I think 23,000 impact fees and 100.00 month water bills are over the top. Now they want more money. Funny the towns across Florida are now waiving impact fees to build a new home. They think its to high of a cost added to a home to compete again repo's of today. Plus they will do anything to get another person signed up to pay down there debt on bonds.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:18 PM

964 posts, read 2,065,788 times
The days of water being an unlimited resource are over. Communities all over are enacting impact fees and raising the cost of water access because of this. The issue isn't one of Cape Coral - it's kind of global.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
Its know wonder the public gets robbed all the time from the government. There is a large group of people in the US that don't mind because they are already getting screwed in there own home town. Then they move somewhere else to retire and think its cheap here only because we haven't been robbed that much yet. I have a home in a state where the water falls out of the sky also but its free for me to use. I think 23,000 impact fees and 100.00 month water bills are over the top. Now they want more money. Funny the towns across Florida are now waiving impact fees to build a new home. They think its to high of a cost added to a home to compete again repo's of today. Plus they will do anything to get another person signed up to pay down there debt on bonds.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:43 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,352,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I don't unerstand the problem. Here in Seattle where it rains 40" a year the average bill is more than that and has been for several years.
Well, if you accept it without challenge then that's the way it is.

Here however this is purely a result of the mis-management do to the city.
It is a major conflict of interest for a city to own the water supply of the citizens. This leads to abuse, and no accountability.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
The days of water being an unlimited resource are over. Communities all over are enacting impact fees and raising the cost of water access because of this. The issue isn't one of Cape Coral - it's kind of global.....
Peak water. Yes.

I'm at the point where I no longer just throw water down the drain. It gets used somewhere. The lack of clean, potable water is going to become a global issue every year until it finally cause crises such as health issues, violence. This is only the beginning. Rather than rolling with the paranoid, conspiracy theory that the powers that be love to see we need to actually have viable solutions.

But it's very popular to blindly come out swinging at boogeymen around every corner rather than doing some research and getting the facts. No one should accept anything without challenge but knowing how to intelligently challenge is another thing, entirely. Throwing up Cape Coral government employee names under known dictators such as Kim Il Sung on FB is not productive.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 PM

964 posts, read 2,065,788 times
I'm thinking that - in some circles - the fact that penny candy now costs a nickel is the CC government's fault as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Peak water. Yes.

I'm at the point where I no longer just throw water down the drain. It gets used somewhere. The lack of clean, potable water is going to become a global issue every year until it finally cause crises such as health issues, violence. This is only the beginning. Rather than rolling with the paranoid, conspiracy theory that the powers that be love to see we need to actually have viable solutions.

But it's very popular to blindly come out swinging at boogeymen around every corner rather than doing some research and getting the facts. No one should accept anything without challenge but knowing how to intelligently challenge is another thing, entirely. Throwing up Cape Coral government employee names under known dictators such as Kim Il Sung on FB is not productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area