Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 50,810 times

Advertisements

Please, anyone who knows anything about Cape Coral Fl. Please let me know. I am thinking of moving there and don't want to make a mistake. How is it different than anywhere else in Florida? I understand if has lot's of Canals. Does Cape Coral have a Beach? Are Hurricanes bad there? I appreciate all of you and your post will be so helpful. I am new here and do not know how to PM, so I need to learn my way around the forum.

I am from KY.

I hope to make some good friends here that I can rely on for advice.

LeeAnn

Old 08-29-2006, 03:44 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,021 times
I don't know anything about a beach in Cape Coral but you have Ft Myers Beach and also Sanibel closeby.

Cape Coral has Nile Monitor Lizards and they recently tried to invade Sanibel.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:09 AM

15 posts, read 57,555 times
I've been to Cape Coral many many times and have a lot of friends who live there. In considering where to move, Cape Coral was first on our list....until we started doing some research. Yes, the Cape has a lot of canals, not really a beach but as was posted above - you're only a few minutes away from Ft. Myers beach and Captiva/Sanibel. However, the biggest item you really need to look out for are the water/sewer assessments that residents are dealing with now. The Cape is experiencing very rapid growth right now - with both housing and retail development. Only some areas, the older more developed, are on city water and sewer. The newer areas, mostly on the west side of the city are just beginning to get theirs put in. Eventually, all homes will be on city services. I believe the project runs until 2011 but I'm not 100% sure of the timeline. If you don't buy a home that already has it in, or the buyers have already paid the assessments, you can count on $20,000-$30,000 added to your property taxes to pay for this. I've also read about corruption in the city government. There is a discussion forum on the on-line Ft. Myers newspaper. That's a GREAT place to look for first hand information from the people who live there. Also, if that's not enough to make you think twice, the Cape doesn't have that lush, tropical feel that most areas of Florida do. There aren't a lot of older trees in a lot of the housing communities. To me, most of it looks more like a desert.

We've decided we don't want to get caught up in the utility mess and have decided to relocate to the Charlotte County area instead.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:33 AM

Based on what I've observed, middle aged and older Cape Coral residents like to go out to one of the beaches on Sanibel. the younger set prefer going to Ft. Myers Beach which is usually much more congested and commercialized.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:00 AM

144 posts, read 824,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fla View Post
I've been to Cape Coral many many times and have a lot of friends who live there. In considering where to move, Cape Coral was first on our list....until we started doing some research. Yes, the Cape has a lot of canals, not really a beach but as was posted above - you're only a few minutes away from Ft. Myers beach and Captiva/Sanibel. However, the biggest item you really need to look out for are the water/sewer assessments that residents are dealing with now. The Cape is experiencing very rapid growth right now - with both housing and retail development. Only some areas, the older more developed, are on city water and sewer. The newer areas, mostly on the west side of the city are just beginning to get theirs put in. Eventually, all homes will be on city services. I believe the project runs until 2011 but I'm not 100% sure of the timeline. If you don't buy a home that already has it in, or the buyers have already paid the assessments, you can count on $20,000-$30,000 added to your property taxes to pay for this. I've also read about corruption in the city government. There is a discussion forum on the on-line Ft. Myers newspaper. That's a GREAT place to look for first hand information from the people who live there. Also, if that's not enough to make you think twice, the Cape doesn't have that lush, tropical feel that most areas of Florida do. There aren't a lot of older trees in a lot of the housing communities. To me, most of it looks more like a desert.

We've decided we don't want to get caught up in the utility mess and have decided to relocate to the Charlotte County area instead.

The assement rate is NOT added to your proerty tax..it is an upfront out of pocket expense by you the homeowner. If you cant pay it they will finance for about 8% or so and your home will have a lein on it. Ppl are being forced out of their homes because they can't afford to pay this assement. Ppl on fixed incomes are getting the shafted big time.

Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel are NOT mins away either...Fort Myers Beach is a good hour on a good day. And good luck finding parking on either beach. Sanibel isn't too keen on day visitors eithers..and you have a nice toll to pay to get there. The beaches are nice but the ppl aren't friendly. Fort Myers Beach is a more friendly to tourists and day visitors.

And Cape Coral DOES have a beach...it's at the Coral Coral Yacht Club...down in south Cape Coral..it's not big but it's a nice little beach to go to if you have small children..you can also grill there.

Cape Coral used to be a nice little town that was safe..not any more. The crime has just skyrocketed because of the huge influx of ppl moving over from Miami. They can't afford to live in Miami and can't afford to live in Naples so they head to the Cape...where now it's busting at it's seams. The city can't handle this type of growth. And yet the city is still issuing building permits upon building permits. Ppl are buying homes they literally can't afford...and I'm just not saying that...there are ppl making $35K a yr and buying $300Khomes...creative finance...give it a few yrs and there will be plenty of homes available in Cape Coral...forclosed on..but available. My sister in law in a broker in Cape Coral and she sees this happen everyday.

I suggest you read the Fort Myers News Press online and take 2 full weeks to spend it in Cape Coral...see if you like it.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:33 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,889 times
We aren't far from there. We're in Charlotte County. I particularly don't like the Cape. The older homes are having drainage problems due to the new homes being built higher...Everything there is FLAT LOOKING, (even flatter than where we are!!) It's so crowded too. I just don't like it at all there.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milabs View Post
Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel are NOT mins away either...Fort Myers Beach is a good hour on a good day. And good luck finding parking on either beach. Sanibel isn't too keen on day visitors eithers..and you have a nice toll to pay to get there. The beaches are nice but the ppl aren't friendly. Fort Myers Beach is a more friendly to tourists and day visitors.

And Cape Coral DOES have a beach...it's at the Coral Coral Yacht Club...down in south Cape Coral..it's not big but it's a nice little beach to go to if you have small children..you can also grill there.

I suggest you read the Fort Myers News Press online and take 2 full weeks to spend it in Cape Coral...see if you like it.
it's true that you have to pay a toll to go out to Sanibel across the causeway and you will also have to pay to park at a beach access. Those items probably discourage many from going there, especially the younger crowd. However I don't think most people on Sanibel are unfriendly if you approach them in a friendly manner and speak kindly. Some may appear to be a little stuck up but I have yet to encounter a bunch of outright *unfriendlies*.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:27 AM

159 posts, read 551,170 times
Default Any Move is Hard....BUT!!!

WOW lots of negative stuff from people that don’t live here and ASS/U/ME you know what you’re talking about.

First off let’s talk assessments; these are for homes that do not have city water or sewer services. There was a problem with the price off 22,000 for a double lot which is standard 80 X 125. These homes are in the S/W district and after much public debated the problem was corrected and the price dropped to 18,000. These are not incorporated into your taxes but a separate bill when hooking up or building new. So if looking for home ask if the assessments are paid

Every city that has experienced new growth has some growing pains and it seems this is no exception. Maybe the Mayor, the City Manager and the City council members figured this would just fly by, but instead most of the homeowners went to meetings voiced there opinions and where heard, So IMHO things are not status quo as may have been the case in the past when it was mostly retired people living here. It also gave the city fathers an eye opening for sure that things will not stay status quo and you will be held accountable for your actions. This is what happens when younger people get involved and voice there opinions and vote on Election Day.

Now the median age is around 42 years old, new schools are opening up every year and state of the art. The schools also have what is known as a ZERO TOLERANCE rule. Any one fighting, belonging to gangs, carrying weapons or drugs or constant absences will be transferred to a less desirable school in North Ft Myers. In simple words don’t MESS up!!!!

The school system is on top of things and the best part is that if your child knows what they would like to do the school system will give them a curriculum supporting them and make the transitions to colleges a lot smoother. In simple words, you want be a nurse or something in the medical field? Your courses will more precise in sciences, chemistry and lab work and other items needed for college in that field. It makes that transition for HS to college a lot easier plus keeps the student attentive during school. It just doesn't have to be medical either, whatever your heart desires you can prepare for. My son has his regular classes and enrolled in the ROTC program in case he wants to join the service first.

The City has also approved to hire another 48 Police Officers to fill its ranks to a 100% and prepare for an influx of some officers that may be retiring in the near future

I bought my home here in Cape Coral in 2002 and the populations was around 100,000 people then and now is around 153,000 full time residents and goes up to about 183,000 during the winter time. I moved here full time in July of 2005 from Long Island NY.

I have a home on the water with Direct Sailboat Access to the Gulf. There different terms for waterfront here which you should become familiar with. Mine is Sail boat access that means no bridges or lifts to contend with to get to the River. The second is Gulf access which means you can get to River but may have to deal with a bridge, a lock system or a boat lift. There also numerous fresh water canals for those who enjoy just plain old boating or fresh water fishing. BTW first you go to the River then the Gulf.

There are big plans in the works where larger developers are buying up some of the older building on Cape Coral Parkway. There has been a new Hampton Inn opened in the last 6 months and about another dozen or so of artists renderings of project coming up for the REDEVLOPMENT of this area which includes about 12 new building. Some are permitted already and some are in the process. They will be business &condo combo units, restaurants, 2 new condo buildings that will be 12 stories tall. All things to attract people to the area or stay home if you live here.

Taxes are always a concern but if handled properly and filled for the Homestead Act it puts cap of 3 % increases once you have met the criteria for the Homestead Act., which is being a resident for 6 months with an Fl driver’s license, car registered in this state and a voter’s registration card. Then when the house comes up for reassessment you get a 25,000 dollar exemption and once that is place your taxes can only go a maximum of 3% a year for as long as you stray in that home

I unfortunately was an out of state resident for 3 years before I moved down and my taxes are high but nothing like I faced in NY. I own a home in what is called the Yacht Club area which was one of the first developed in Cape Coral. A lot of these homes are being purchased and bulldozed for new homes to be put up and some of them are truly amazing.

The best thing to do is actually go a vacation home website and rent a home or condo for a few weeks and see for yourself.

C&P this link.
removed

Respectively,

Captain Bill.

BTW I fish a lot also.

Last edited by Marka; 10-17-2006 at 01:29 AM..

Old 09-01-2006, 11:34 AM

Arrow Continued....ran out of Space

Employment in the area for a tradesman, technical workers, health related fields are up and coming. We have a brand new airport in Ft Myers that is absolutely gorgeous and passenger friendly and honestly one of the best I have ever seen. With that new airport in place an operating surrounding properties have been sold and are developing support business for the airport, thus creating employment opertunties.

The Lee County health system is also stepping in the right direction, adding on to exciting hospital, building a new one and expanded out patient building for our citizens which are top notch IMHO and coming from NY that’s a big statement.

I will provide a link for the common paper here and just add to your favorites list to read up on once in awhile.

Please C&P:
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

One more thing, if you are a retired person the pension laws in Fl are very friendly towards you. No state tax out of your pay or on your pension.$$$$$$

Respectively,

Captain Bill.

Last edited by NYBill; 09-01-2006 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Forgot the Beeches~~~SORRY

Ft Myers Beach during the toursit season is crowded as any tourist area is. But if you where a full time resident you pick and chose your own time as most of us do

Beaches at Sanibel and Capitiva Islands are very nice, Sanible has a fishing pier close to the light house and plenty of things to do and see.

The Yacht Club has a small nice beach ( few hundred yards) on the River with playground for small children. It also gives sailing lessons, has a boat ramp, tennis courst, handball courts large in ground pool compltete with diving boards and plenty of lounge chairs for all as well was a wading pool. A Snack bar on the fishing pier ( geat Burgers BTW)and fuel dock for boats is also there as well as about 100 slip Marina.

They also have a large meeting room that has catering avaiability.

All this owned and operated by the City as well as our water park called Sun Splash.

Sports for the kids is amazing, football, base ball fields are manicured with bleachers, dugouts, scoreboard, fenced field with padding on the outfield fences.

I look at them and think about what played on as a kid, this is like a minor league set up

BMX course and a new Skateboard Park

Bottom line..no one likes paying big bills but we sure get a big bang for the buck here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area