Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:28 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekocat View Post
No one said some people shouldn't pay taxes (although if you're living below the poverty line, you're not paying them). Show me the figures you have, the federal government's figures are much different. Most of the 10% have a ton of tax shelters. Google Warren Buffet...he pays less tax than his secretary and even he says that's completely wrong.

Buffett says he's still paying lower tax rate than his secretary - Mar. 4, 2013

You should really stop watching FAUX News.

Oh wait and getting your information from Heritage.org, another site just like Faux News. BTW these figures are from 2009 and still not true.

Top 10 Percent of Earners Paid Majority of US Tax Percentage
Warren Buffett's total compensation declined 14 percent last year to $423,923 as Berkshire Hathaway spent less on his security, but his salary remained unchanged at $100,000.

Buffett himself owns 33.9% of Berkshire Hathaway, a publicly traded corporation with taxable income of $19.1 billion in 2010. Assuming a conservative corporate federal tax rate of 25%, Berkshire will ultimately pay $4.76 billion in federal corporate income taxes on this taxable income.

Given his ownership stake in Berkshire, 33.9% of the $4.77 billion in federal corporate taxes, or $1.61 billion were borne by Buffett.

That's a lot more than his secretary who makes $200,000 paid. All of this in public information that is available from Berkshire Hathaway because they are a publicly trades company.

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 09:23 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
No one said some people shouldn't pay taxes (although if you're living below the poverty line, you're not paying them). Show me the figures you have, the federal government's figures are much different. Most of the 10% have a ton of tax shelters. Google Warren Buffet...he pays less tax than his secretary and even he says that's completely wrong.

Oh wait and getting your information from Heritage.org, another site just like Faux News. BTW these figures are from 2009 and still not true.

I think it is hysterical that you deride Fox News and Heritage and then put up posts from CNN and the Washington Compost as if they are the true reliable news sources!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:26 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:

I think it is hysterical that you deride Fox News and Heritage and then put up posts from CNN and the Washington Compost as if they are the true reliable news sources!

Anyway here is the info you requested from one of your reliable sources:
The rich pay majority of U.S. income taxes - Mar. 12, 2013

Old 02-02-2014, 02:54 PM

191 posts, read 516,816 times
I just about the property tax exemptions in Florida. You have had to live in Florida for 25 years to qualify.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:49 PM

518 posts, read 1,231,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
I just about the property tax exemptions in Florida. You have had to live in Florida for 25 years to qualify.
That is new this year. That is for old poor people that have lived in Florida a long time. The other homestead still stands for new people coming here.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:12 PM

191 posts, read 516,816 times
What do you mean? What if a person moves into Cape Coral this year or next, and is over 65, and has an income of below 20,000. Does that person qualify to pay no property taxes? Because the site above states, you must have all these things plus live in Florida for 25 years to qualify??

Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 PM

518 posts, read 1,231,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
What do you mean? What if a person moves into Cape Coral this year or next, and is over 65, and has an income of below 20,000. Does that person qualify to pay no property taxes? Because the site above states, you must have all these things plus live in Florida for 25 years to qualify??
You have to have lived here for 25 years also. New people only get 25,000 to 50,000 off there value for homestead. It reduces your taxes about 500 to 600 a year. That new law is mostly aimed at old timers that have been taxed out of there homes due to picking the right location without having the income when they retire to support there over head.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:37 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
social security is not a tax, it is forced savings. The gov't realized that when the generation aged they would not be able to afford life. They would become a financial burden on others and the gov't. To help avoid this they would force people to save for retirement. It is the person that pays contributions Money. If someone contributed their entire working lives you should not punish them because they were successful or made wise monetary decisions. You probably wouldn't like it if you set aside money into a 401k all your life and the gov't decided you had enough and took some of it to give to people that never bothered setting one up. most people put in 7.5% of their paycheck in. Their employers match with 7.5%. If you are self employed (like me) you have to put in 15%. I don't like that I'm hearing that there may not be anything left in it for me by the time I retire, who spent my money?
Ronald Reagan - Here you go...Article: The Truth about the Trust Fund-- Destroying Social Security to Destroy the Two Party System | OpEdNews

He cut the income tax for the wealthy and stole money from Social Security to make up the difference.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post

Anyway here is the info you requested from one of your reliable sources:
The rich pay majority of U.S. income taxes - Mar. 12, 2013
A paragraph from your link...a lot of good that did you.

When factoring in state and local taxes, the top 10% pay just under half the tab. And when calculating tax burden as a percent of income, the tax code is even less progressive. The top 10% paid an average of 30% of their income in local, state, and federal taxes in 2011, said McIntyre. That's not much different than the 25% percent paid by the middle class.

Much less than 71%.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Warren Buffett's total compensation declined 14 percent last year to $423,923 as Berkshire Hathaway spent less on his security, but his salary remained unchanged at $100,000.

Buffett himself owns 33.9% of Berkshire Hathaway, a publicly traded corporation with taxable income of $19.1 billion in 2010. Assuming a conservative corporate federal tax rate of 25%, Berkshire will ultimately pay $4.76 billion in federal corporate income taxes on this taxable income.

Given his ownership stake in Berkshire, 33.9% of the $4.77 billion in federal corporate taxes, or $1.61 billion were borne by Buffett.

That's a lot more than his secretary who makes $200,000 paid. All of this in public information that is available from Berkshire Hathaway because they are a publicly trades company.

Gary
Ummm...I think we're talking personal taxes not business taxes. He files both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area