Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,402 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I need some help figuring out where my family should move to. We live in Iowa (wind chills of -25 as I'm writing this) and will be moving with our two girls, 7 and 5. Schools are the most important part of the move as well as a safe place (obviously). Cape Coral seems to be the most affordable area but I've been told the government stinks and schools aren't the greatest. My best friend lives in Bonita Springs and is pushing for us to move down towards him, either in North Naples, Bonita or Estero. Is it worth it to sacrifice a little (in terms of size and quality of home) to move to the "nicer" areas down south or can we find a good community in the Fort Myers/ Cape Coral area? We've heard good things about Gateway....Any help would be super appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 04:11 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,448,805 times
Good luck in your search. I would recommend reading as much of the comments on this forum. Then, time and budget permitting, visit a few times to drive around and get a feel for each area.
Then, let folks know what type of residence you want : apt., condo, townhome, single family home and budget for rent/mortgage.
Also, the career you and if applicable, your better ½, will do when you settle down here.
The answer to these inquiries will solicit a wide array of responses which you need to measure as everyone may cover the answer on their personal bias. That is ok but take +/- comments in stride.
You really need to visit and get a sense of available employment, medical for you and a growing family, time and cost to commute.
Then bring the kids down as you will need their buy in. It can be a very emotional time for kids to move to a new place. Been there, done that multiple times and not just moves across the street or town but across the US.
Good luck!

Old 03-04-2019, 06:11 PM

35 posts, read 50,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youknow1983 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I need some help figuring out where my family should move to. We live in Iowa (wind chills of -25 as I'm writing this) and will be moving with our two girls, 7 and 5. Schools are the most important part of the move as well as a safe place (obviously). Cape Coral seems to be the most affordable area but I've been told the government stinks and schools aren't the greatest. My best friend lives in Bonita Springs and is pushing for us to move down towards him, either in North Naples, Bonita or Estero. Is it worth it to sacrifice a little (in terms of size and quality of home) to move to the "nicer" areas down south or can we find a good community in the Fort Myers/ Cape Coral area? We've heard good things about Gateway....Any help would be super appreciated!!!
Tampa didn't work out?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...lp-needed.html

Old 03-05-2019, 09:01 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,115,067 times
elementary schools and middle schools for the most part are fine. they are better in the SW section. the high schools are where there seems to be a drop off, but not horrible compared to other areas. When I was looking to live there (Cape Coral) with my school aged kids the plan was to have them go to public schools up until high school , then have them go to bishop Verot. If school systems were you biggest priorities then you should look up in the Jacksonville area (ST John's county) overall they are the best school system in Florida.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:13 AM

5,043 posts, read 7,513,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisExit View Post
Let us know what happened with Tampa (why did you move back from Tampa?), if you are moving down with jobs or are independently wealthy, what areas you've already come down and scouted out..
The more specifics the better we can help you.
Maybe you're just tired of winter and a quick vacation will help.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:45 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,956,565 times
Here is the reality of the situation...……...NO PLACE IS PERFECT. We have lived in a few States and none of them have been ideal. Also, one person might love Cape Coral, and another hates it. I have found that it takes about a year to really get comfortable with any area I have lived in, or to decide it is not for me.

We lived in Cape Coral for years, never really had a problem with it, but now live in Ft Myers, and it is fine too. I no longer have young children, so schools do not enter into the picture, but with the way they bus kids all over, you never know where they will end up going anyway......at least it was that way when mine were younger, maybe that has changed.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:20 PM

Ok but as suggested, more detail will help get you answers. Thus far you have not provided detail that folks willing to help can assit you in your plans.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerdsa View Post
You won't find help on this forum.
Yes we will, good bye spammer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area