Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 6,834 times

Advertisements

Good day!
Is there anyone already in SW FL that’s from the VI?
Do you like FL?
do you miss the VI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamervi1 View Post
Good day!
Do you like FL?
do you miss the VI?
why move from the VI to anywhere?

Old 08-19-2019, 01:13 PM

Good day nhkev,
It’s a beautiful island; St. John, USVI. 2/3rds National Park, https://www.nps.gov/viis/index.htmtop photographed beaches in the world.

I’ve lived here for 16+ years and need some normalcy. Until you’ve lived here long enough to understand the pitfalls of this tiny island you would understand. Unless you can afford to be out on the water all the time or laying on the beach all the time this may appeal to you. Just getting things shipped here is expensive. Food is expensive. Example: need a poster board for your kids school project? You have to go on the ferry to St. Thomas and taxi to get to the office max and hope they have any. If they do this poster board has now cost you $30. And getting something fixed? The local joke is there is no such thing as same day service. You’re very blessed if it does happen the same day! To be on vacation and live a here are two different things...

Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Quote:
Good day nhkev,
It’s a beautiful island; St. John, USVI. 2/3rds National Park, https://www.nps.gov/viis/index.htmtop photographed beaches in the world.

I’ve lived here for 16+ years and need some normalcy. Until you’ve lived here long enough to understand th Ie pitfalls of this tiny island you would understand. Unless you can afford to be out on the water all the time or laying on the beach all the time this may appeal to you. Just getting things shipped here is expensive. Food is expensive. Example: need a poster board for your kids school project? You have to go on the ferry to St. Thomas and taxi to get to the office max and hope they have any. If they do this poster board has now cost you $30. And getting something fixed? The local joke is there is no such thing as same day service. You’re very blessed if it does happen the same day! To be on vacation and live a here are two different things...
all good, the reason why I asked was to get the answers that you listed. I never lived there but you could change your question to anyone ever live in New Hampshire and move to Florida. anyone that lived in Montana and move to Florida etc. The point being Florida is different than all those places and there are some things that will be big benefits such as "anything you could possible need is within a quick drive. There are also a lot of the things that you have on St Johns that you would also have in Florida aka boating, surfing (atlantic side) fishing, beaching. But there are also things you will have or not have that you liked about St Johns that Florida will be on the losing end of. One thing is very aggressive drivers that like to blow red lights, drive too fast and are overall inconsiderate of other people. You will also go from an area of beautiful topography to FLAT land. But you could find a happy medium in a place such as Pine island *(either bokeelia or Pineland maybe St James City..

I find the people who move here from somewhere else and insist on comparing it to where they came from always end up unhappy and leaving. those that come here realizing they left wherever they came from and remember why they left those places and don't expect it to fix all their problems in life do fine.
I have lived in many parts of the country and my family has thrived here, but it fits our lifestyle. When you say being on vacation and living here are two different things , it's what everyone says about here... except me …. I live as if I'm on vacation all the time.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:57 PM

Thank you nhkev for your feed back,
I want to be able to cut grass, plant flowers, see my labors come to fruition as I one did before moving here. The median house goes for $3M. So I rent and it’s restrictive. I have nothing holding me here since hubby has past.
I’ve noticed to find work in FL you have to live there before anyone will take you seriously. Do you find this true? How do you get an apartment with no income/job to list on the application?
You mentioned Pine Island, St. James City; they are pricy it seems. Do you have an opinion of other areas on the gulf that are like old FL, laid back, no so busy?
Thx for any info!

Old 08-20-2019, 07:24 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
How do you get an apartment with no income/job to list on the application?

Rent a hotel or short term rental. Short term rentals can be by the week or month and are furnished with all utilities covered. They are often called Vacation Rentals. Lots of local realtors have such rentals.

Then get a po box at UPS Store (or similar) and a trac fone with a local area code/tel#. Then job search using that as your contact info.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:25 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Do you have an opinion of other areas on the gulf that are like old FL, laid back, no so busy?
Englewood.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:26 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Good day!
Do you like FL?
do you miss the VI?
Ever been to Epstein's place?

Old 08-21-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Rent a hotel or short term rental. Short term rentals can be by the week or month and are furnished with all utilities covered. They are often called Vacation Rentals. Lots of local realtors have such rentals.

Then get a po box at UPS Store (or similar) and a trac fone with a local area code/tel#. Then job search using that as your contact info.
Thx for your reply swaretocod,
Great ideas/info!

Old 08-21-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ever been to Epstein's place?
Hi City Guy997S,
Not on the island but anchored my boat and snorkeled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area