Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2020, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 12,867 times

Advertisements

Looking at the satellite maps there appears to be barriers of various types that prevent Gulf access on the canals from the east side of Burnt Store Rd (along Burnt Store Rd). Can anyone confirm that?
Thanks!

Last edited by zyoc; 10-25-2020 at 08:25 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 08:22 AM

25 posts, read 32,847 times
Probably so, but consult the county, or current info from the Coast Guard or local Fish and Wildlife patrol fos or rescue, or check local charts for accuracy in navigable waters. I wouldn't trust sats.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:42 PM

207 posts, read 422,155 times
There are a number of weirs along Burnt Store Rd to separate the saltwater and freshwater canals. If you are east of Burnt Store you'd have to use one of the boat ramps: https://www.news-press.com/story/new...end/771082002/

I don't know how frequently this is updated nor can I confirm the accuracy, but I did find this canal map with bridge heights:

https://capecoralhaus.com/en/region/...e-heights.html

Old 01-08-2021, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 12,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingNWCape View Post
There are a number of weirs along Burnt Store Rd to separate the saltwater and freshwater canals. If you are east of Burnt Store you'd have to use one of the boat ramps: https://www.news-press.com/story/new...end/771082002/

I don't know how frequently this is updated nor can I confirm the accuracy, but I did find this canal map with bridge heights:

https://capecoralhaus.com/en/region/...e-heights.html
Thanks for that info and link!

Old 01-22-2021, 05:43 PM

65 posts, read 119,052 times
Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyoc View Post
Looking at the satellite maps there appears to be barriers of various types that prevent Gulf access on the canals from the east side of Burnt Store Rd (along Burnt Store Rd). Can anyone confirm that?
Thanks!
Yes. Eyes on this week. All canals along Burnt Store Road have weirs and/or barriers from fresh (east), salt water (west). Some are portagable for kayaks, but there is a lot of construction going on so access is limited and about a 5-8' drop from fresh to salt.

N/W Cape Coral West of Burnt Store Road to the old burnt store road and westward are gulf access. Most canals east of burnt store road and north of veteran's parkway and west of Academy are freshwater. There are small sections of freshwater in other areas as well.

Best way to tell is use google satellite and look for boat docks and lifts. Where those are numerous is gulf/river access. Where there is a dearth of docks and lifts is typically fresh water.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 8,643 times
I have 3 canal properties East of Burn Store Road so your question sparked an interest. If the barriers are taken down, that will convert the fresh water canal to gulf access and would raise property value significantly. So I contacted Lee County Depart of Natural Resources to see if there was a plan or future plans to take the barriers down or moving the barriers East to the next road junction.

Apparently, the question has never been asked before or no one yet has expressed interest on converting the canals to gulf access. The US Dept of Transportation owns that responsibility so they will ask for me and will include me on the email. I will share the response in this forum.

It may require petitioning...so that is something I will probably start in the near future.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_G View Post
I have 3 canal properties East of Burn Store Road so your question sparked an interest. If the barriers are taken down, that will convert the fresh water canal to gulf access and would raise property value significantly. So I contacted Lee County Depart of Natural Resources to see if there was a plan or future plans to take the barriers down or moving the barriers East to the next road junction.

Apparently, the question has never been asked before or no one yet has expressed interest on converting the canals to gulf access. The US Dept of Transportation owns that responsibility so they will ask for me and will include me on the email. I will share the response in this forum.

It may require petition...so that is something I will probably start in the near future.
I honestly just don't see that happening. They have already spent a lot of money on the Burnt Store widening project and more in progress as they do the next stretch. Plus, look into the Chiquita Lock issues. Sorry to say but most people don't care about raising your property value (or boating time as most of the Chiquita Lock complaints are about), they care more about protecting the waterways and rightfully so.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 8,643 times
City of Cape Coral contacted me and it is looking good. There is a plan to remove the barriers and convert them to Gulf access!!! Wow...apparently it will raise taxes as well as to generate city income. Makes sense. No dates yet...but when more people move in or start building, plans will be generated. Contact City Cape Coral for more information.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:40 AM

Care to provide the name of the city employee who relayed that info?

Old 05-08-2021, 06:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_G View Post
City of Cape Coral contacted me and it is looking good. There is a plan to remove the barriers and convert them to Gulf access!!! Wow...apparently it will raise taxes as well as to generate city income. Makes sense. No dates yet...but when more people move in or start building, plans will be generated. Contact City Cape Coral for more information.
Won't happen. The city doesn't decide, the DEP and army corps of engineers would. The fresh water canals were designed to be a surface water cleaning system. During storm runoff solids such as lawn fertilizer and dog poop enter canal, solids sink to bottom, and only clean water flows over the weirs. It is essentially an open air septic tank. There is no way the dep would allow free flow of untreated water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area