Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2020, 06:45 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if the TOS allows me to mention the company but I had someone out Monday to look at my 2 year old Bruno a/c unit because it was blowing warm air. This company, who has taken over a lot of Bruno accounts, told me I needed a new compressor. He said the part was under warranty but not the labor (which is a lie, according to my attorney). He also told me that this particular compressor was on back order and that even after replacing it, something else would break down because I had the bottom of the line a/c unit that Bruno installed. He said I would be better off replacing this 2 year old unit.

I mentioned that despite Bruno putting in some new ductwork in the attic, the kitchen and dinette area were always warmer than the rest of the house. This "technician" went up in the attic and said the ductwork is not taped up properly. He quoted me $5,500 to fix it! I could buy a whole new a/c unit for that! Plus I was quoted $10K to replace my a/c and ductwork and that was with the military discount! I paid Bruno $16K back in August of 2018.

My neighbor's husband, who is a master mechanic, was here to make sure I didn't get ripped off. I told the technician to send me an estimate and I would get back with him. My neighbor's husband then called a friend of his, who while semi-retired, still has his license. He checked out my system and replaced the capacitor which cost me a whopping $8.00 and the unit works fine now! He also told me while my unit is not top of the line, it's also NOT bottom of the line like this company told me. They just figured I was a gullible widow who would believe their B.S.

My attorney, who is handling the class action suit against Ygrene (the finance company Bruno got people to use), told me he has already had complaints about this company and to file a complaint with the attorney general, which I plan on doing. He also told me I could trust Kobie Kooling and obviously I can trust the guy who fixed my system for $8.00.

People always get a 2nd and 3rd opinion when it comes to a/c systems. I paid $16K for the system Bruno put in 2 years ago and I have been told that I shouldn't have paid more than $6K for that system. I know when it's hot and humid and you have no air conditioning it's easy to go with the first company that promises you the moon but don't fall for it. Call a reputable company that has good reviews.

Since I don't know if I'm allowed to mention this dishonest company I won't until I get approval from moderators. Feel free to message me if you want further information. I put my review abut them on Yelp.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 11-04-2020 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Add a sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 07:16 AM

416 posts, read 408,514 times
Second opinions are always a good idea. Finding a trusted contractor/vendor is tough and if you do, hang on to them for dear life.

Note to everyone - the FINANCE deals for A/C, plumbing, etc are almost always an indicator that you’re paying too much overall and it’s getting buried in the payments (you’re just happy its not a pile of cash up front). Be wary.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:12 AM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
I don't know if it is one in the same as Chiluvr used or not. Just google "who bought Bruno air conditioning florida" and you'll find it. Something p r o s
Florida: Sunny skies, shady people
(not all but a lot) Once you find an honest contractor, they're like gold!
Note: our 13 year old Carrier eats capacitors about one every 3 years. I Keep spares handy. Lots of power blips from fpl.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:12 AM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
Chiluvr, read your yelp review and feel for you. Hopefully your attorney can help you with some $$ recoup. Hate hearing about this stuff. We had a company try to do the same thing years ago in a former state. We laughed and threw them out of the house. We are most polite, patient people but when it comes to these people that prey on others, all bets are off. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:20 AM

Thanks! The first installment for the original $16K a/c system is showing up on my tax bill. It's $167 a month for 20 years! That comes out to over $40K total!!!! My attorney said I may have to pay the first couple of bills until the Class Action Suit is finished. However, my mortgage company has been changed again (the 4th one in 3 years) so the escrow for the $167 went to my previous mortgage company and I don't have it in my December payment yet.

And yes, you are correct about who this a/c company is. The only reason I called them is because of the supposedly warranty I had that these new companies who bought Bruno were supposed to honor. I should have realized only another disreputable company would want to be associated with Louis Bruno. Since I haven't heard anything from the moderators I'll post the name here: Air Pros.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:26 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
$16k is a lot of money,if you live alone,you can just have window A/C +fan as a temporary solution until you get second and third opinion.
I have mine done for $5-6K years ago,I am in TX

Old 11-08-2020, 07:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
The capacitor you can buy on AMZN and have some local guy installed for you.
all you pay is labor

Old 11-09-2020, 06:59 AM

My neighbor's friend is in the business. He replaced the capacitor for $8.00. I gave him a $20 bill as that is all I had on me and told him to keep the change. I just saved $9,992. :-)

Old 11-09-2020, 12:16 PM

518 posts, read 868,570 times
When It comes to high ticket appliances you have to educated yourself on what to look for and contractor deceptions.go on you tube and research the possible failure checks. That way it will help you make an informed decision on repairs. Capacitors fail all the time and the cheapest to repair.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:38 AM

Well it seems Bruno never completed the permitting process and now it has become an issue because I've sold my house and am two weeks away from closing. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area