Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,944 times

Advertisements

Ok, what's the deal with Cape Coral??
I have heard one extreme to the other and I'm guessing that it's mostly people's personal experiences with it.
Here's my story and I'm hoping you can help me.
We are looking at the Cape Coral area. Now, we will NOT make a move until my husband has secured a job. But I'm hoping you can help me out.

We have 3 kids - 1,3 and 5 years old.
Is it family friendly?
I've heard the school districts aren't "great"?
Stay in the "south" side vs the "north" side?
Property taxes and homeowners insurance are outrageous?

Are they other small towns around this area that you could recommend? Where would a nice family like ours enjoy it? We have family in the Fort Meyrs and Cape Coral area so we'd really like to be around there.
Thanks,
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 07:00 PM

7 posts, read 56,049 times
Hi. I've lived in the Ft Myers/Cape area since 11/03. I'll answer your questions as best I can

Is it family friendly? In my humble opinion there are not many things for kids to do here. I think the area caters to tourists and the retirement community aka "the snowbirds." They have golf, theaters, dinner shows, etc. The only thing I know the kids would like here are the beaches, the movies, and the Naples Zoo and the new Chucky Cheese that opened here.

I've heard the school districts aren't "great"?I agree. If I were moving to this area, I would try to enroll my kids into one of the local private schools.

Stay in the "south" side vs the "north" side? I live right off of Embers Pkwy, the divide between north and south Cape. One huge thing to consider if you move to north Cape (above Pine Island road) is the sewage and water assessments. The city will be installing city water and sewage to all parts of the Cape that are still on well and septic. This is really expensive. The last area of the Cape that got hit with these assessments paid about $17,000 and I don't think that included having your septal tank crushed and the cost to have a plumber hook you up to city water lines. Back in the construction boom there was a huge fiasco about this cost. Local citizens flooded city hall and raised cane, a citizens watchdog committee was formed, petitions signed, etc. There was an investigation into the whole thing - a real mess. You may still be able to read about it on the forums of the local paper at news-press.com. Here is the link on the citys web site
Utilities Extension Program-City of Cape Coral

Other things to consider:
North Cape is not as developed as south Cape (residential homes anyway). There are a lot of empty lots without homes on them so you wouldn't have neighbors looking in your back window. Commercially it is where everything is being built. Pine Island is now considered the main corridor and we have Kohls, Carrabas, Shrimp Shack, Olive Garden, Super Target, BJs whole sale - you get the idea.

South Cape is older. They are on city water and sewage so no assessments. The homes are older (higher insurance premiums) and landscaping is lush and not as bare as in north Cape. Downtown cape is considered Cape Coral Pkwy and there are a lot of small, locally owned stores. It is quaint but in my opinion the downtown area needs a face lift.

Property taxes and homeowners insurance are outrageous? Yes and yes! Compared to where I used to live (VA) this area is outrageous on property taxes and insurance. I live in a very modest (3Br, 2Bath, 1700 sq ft under air) newer home (2004) and my homeowners premiums last year were $1600 (not including flood insurance) and that is considered cheap. If you buy an older home not up to current hurricane code, expect to pay a lot more or not even be insurable. You could end up having to get state run Citizens insurance. Oh yeah - flood insurance is extra. If you live in a flood zone, you HAVE to have flood insurance. Flood ins. is optional where I'm at but it costs another $500. Flood ins. premiums are a flat rate dependent upon home value and contents. If you are buying a home, take a look at the flood map. You want to be sure it is the most recent map as the flood zones have changed. Here is a link.
http://www3.leegov.com/DCD/fema.htm[/url]

Property taxes are crazy too. Although the real estate market here took a major nose dive, home taxes have NOT went down. I gave the City a nice check for about $2300 this past November. I long for the days when I lived in Virginia and paid $1200 a year in property taxes and $400 a year for home insurance. If you want to know more here is a link to taxes, property values, etc.
LeePA | FAQ (http://www.leepa.org/buttonbody/faq.htm - broken link)

Are they other small towns around this area that you could recommend? Honestly, I've been here since 11/03 and most of the people I know are looking to leave the area. Unemployment is high. The major industry here is Lee Health system and the Lee County Schools. That's it! The job market is really bad. I know quite a few people whose spouse is currently unemployed.

Although the cheap housing may be attractive to anyone out of the area, tons of people here paid double and sometimes three times what homes are being sold for now. A lot of people are just walking away from their homes so you have a huge inventory of cheap homes and empty brand new builder homes.

Are they other small towns around this area that you could recommend? Where would a nice family like ours enjoy it?
I don't have any area to recommend close to here. I do like Bonita Springs and the area around Miromar Outlet mall (not sure what it's called). If you move here, there is plenty to enjoy. I'm actually thinking of leaving the area when the real estate market changes. I'm sorry to sound so negative. I really do love Florida and the weather. I do enjoy living here (aside from the occasional hurricane). After living here for a few years in my opinion this area is going to be just for retirees as no one else can afford to work and live here. The taxes are too high and the insurance is going through the roof.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,944 times
Thank you sooo much! That was extremely helpful.
Wow, and I figured the taxes to be much higher than that!! I live in Wisconsin on a typical .3 acre lot with a 1200 sqft house and my taxes are $2300 this year!

Is anyone living in this area with kids that can give their opinions on the family-friendliness and the school systems??

Old 12-30-2008, 10:49 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
In most of the Cape it is family oriented. At least in every area that I have been in. My kids have attended school here and most schools are rated A or A+. My eldest daughter went to University of West FL and she was a lot smarter than the kids from all over the country but she only went to school in the Cape from middle school on.

The Cape is made up of SW, SE, NW and NE. The north section has only really taken off in the past few years and mostly newer homes. Unfortunately most bought at the top of the market and have walked away or been foreclosed on so there are empty houses up there.

SE as a general rule is the older section, then SW started being developed.

As far as things to do for kids we have Mike Greenwelds and Sunsplash. There is a public pool and a small beach. The city has different programs for kids also.

Insurance has went down to almost pre Charlie days. Taxes are high but not as high as other places. I would assume they wouldn't be that high now since prices have dropped drastically the last few years. I have SOH. I have a 2400 sq ft home with pool and pay $1,800 for insurance and my home is 15 years old.

I think it is a great place to raise a family or I still wouldn't be here.

You do have to look out for assements tho with the water and sewer. I am in the SW and don't have them yet. It has been on and off for the last few months. We were originally suppose to get them in 1995.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times
I think the taxes are high or low in comparison to what you are used to. Before I bought I heard the same thing about how the taxes were outrageous... On my house in the northeast the taxes are twice what the taxes are in cape coral. and my homeowners insurance is exactly the same. I believe that in every case there is a loser someone must be a winner.... Speculators bought houses to flip. They lost lots of money now houses are cheap first time home buyers "which we all were at one time" can now actually afford a home. It is also a fact that new homeowners spend three times the amount than an existing home owner ..ie new furniture,vacuums, curtains, bedding , kitchenware etc. I keep on reading everyone is leaving in droves but yet the population is still rising at a ridiculous rate. The cape is clearly in a transition. the climate is going to continue to bring the baby boomers ( who are on the verge of retiring)

Old 01-08-2009, 09:29 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
The Cape is in transition. People are leaving but others are coming in and taking their place. It is a safe place (tho you wouldn't know it on this forum) and cheap again. Isn't that what most people are looking for. Yes the jobs here right now are very tight and that is a big negative if you need one, but seems to be that way all over FL and most other states.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:42 PM

41 posts, read 148,466 times
I love North Fort Myers. Access is really fast. No toll's. Some real crappy neighborhood's to stay out of and some really nice one's ranging from middle class to filthy rich. The cape has line's that go on forever to get into Fort Myers to work in the morning's. Getting to Fort Myers from North Fort Myers is so fast. Just down Bayshore to 75 and your there. Even the N. Ft Myers bridge (which is free by the way) has far less traffic than the Cape's.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:35 AM

282 posts, read 1,009,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
The Cape is in transition. People are leaving but others are coming in and taking their place. It is a safe place (tho you wouldn't know it on this forum) and cheap again. Isn't that what most people are looking for. Yes the jobs here right now are very tight and that is a big negative if you need one, but seems to be that way all over FL and most other states.

I agree with this post. I love Cape Coral and sorry krktoday but I would never live in North Ft. Myers, Cape Coral is so much nicer.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:22 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
I have lived in both the Cape, and Ft Myers, and CC is a WHOLE lot better. I lived in SW cape along Pelican Blvd, liked it there a lot. I lived in S FM, and it was nice, but most of FM is bleh... My opinion. There are good parts of FM though, not all of it is bad

Old 05-13-2010, 04:03 PM

317 posts, read 772,698 times
Is it family friendly?
I have an 18 month old and a 3.5 year old. There is a lot of stuff for us to do and - in fact - our moms calendar is packed with tons of various activities. Seriously, there is something different to do on a nearly daily basis. Open gyms, tons of great city parks, Mike Greenwells, art classes at the City Art Studio, swimming at the Yacht Club. There are lots of great things to do just over the bridge - Sun Harvest, Imaginarium, Little Dippers, Bounce & Glow, the beach, Pump It Up, not to mention Ding Darling on Sanibel and all of the neat little museums. There are lots of great eco tours and wading.

I've heard the school districts aren't "great"?
Almost every Cape school is an A-rated school. I can't say much for their curriculum as my daughter will only be starting VPK this fall at a charter school. My understanding is that the BIGGEST problem is school choice.

Stay in the "south" side vs the "north" side?
We've lived in the SW and currently own in the NW and prefer the NW. Not very much through traffic - it takes me five minutes to get to Publix, Walgreens, my gym, Kohl's, Michael's, Neighborhood Walmart, gas stations, tons of restaurants along Pine Island Rd.and my daughters preschool. It takes me approx. ten minutes to get to Lowe's, Target, Staples, Bed Bath and Beyond, Petsmart, etc.

We live in a good neighborhood - we are close to a city softball field and a brand new city library. All of our neighbors own their homes and there is only one foreclosure on our block. That being said - our inlaws live in SW and there are at least four foreclosures on their block and probably the same number of homes are either vacation rentals or annual rentals. Very transient neighborhood. We feel safe in our home and like our neighbors

As someone else mentioned, the NW Cape has yet to be hooked up to city water. It is an expense for sure, but that is just something you have to understand if you buy in this area. Not ALL of SW is on city water and certainly not all of SW has paid their hook-up bill. When we were house searching, every single house we looked at in SW Cape still had 3/4 of their hookup that hadn't been paid. I mean, these people weren't paying their mortgage - they certainly weren't paying the city for water hookup.

Property taxes and homeowners insurance are outrageous?
Not ours. Our home insurance is around $1K a year. Our taxes this year were about $2200 but after homestead, they will fall to closer to $800.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area