Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:31 PM

10 posts, read 36,626 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are moving to Cape Coral. We are going down in two weeks to look at houses. I am getting a little nervous because I am starting to hear horrible things about Cape Coral. Some people say it's slummy and ugly there? I don't know the housing market seems to be a lot better than it is here in WI. Does anyone know what the furniture sales market is like there at Ashley or at Baer furniture??? Just curious I would love any and all info good or bad to help me make my decision. We have an 8 month old baby so I'm a little curious about the school system and activities for a stay at home mom in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
I'd suggest you spend some time reading thru the previous posts here, on this forum. Lots of good, pertinent information, both positive and negative.
The job situation here is dire, More so than many other places, perhaps not as bad as a few others.
Restaraunts and retail outlets are closing up, small businesses failing. We are consistently in a back and forth battle for first place in foreclosures nationwide, bouncing between the numbers one and four spots month by month. The moving vans seen in the driveways at the end of each month, are being loaded, not emptied.
An overwhelming view is that the schools are pretty bad. Crime is on the rise, and generally speaking the area is declining rapidly.
All that being said...much the same could be said for almost any where right now, outside of maybe Texas, or Oklahoma. I hear the Florida panhandle still has some pockets of decent areas for jobs and economy.
IMHO, (not trying to be a wet blanket here, just provide fair warning, like youve seen in many other threads here) If you do NOT have employment already lined up to step into when you "get off the boat " here. Steer clear. Things are bad, and likely to get far worse here.
Trying to think of another way to illustrate the point, try this....If the USA is the Titanic, SW Florida is the point of impact with the iceberg.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:31 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
My take is that the schools in Cape Coral are better than a lot of FL. Most are A or A+. We have been having moving trucks coming in but not in my area because most here have lived here 8 years or more. There really aren't any jobs around tho.

Cape Coral isn't slummy at all. I have lived here for 16 years without any problems.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 20,544 times
Default Moving to Cape coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hklauber View Post
Hi! My husband and I are moving to Cape Coral. We are going down in two weeks to look at houses. I am getting a little nervous because I am starting to hear horrible things about Cape Coral. Some people say it's slummy and ugly there? I don't know the housing market seems to be a lot better than it is here in WI. Does anyone know what the furniture sales market is like there at Ashley or at Baer furniture??? Just curious I would love any and all info good or bad to help me make my decision. We have an 8 month old baby so I'm a little curious about the school system and activities for a stay at home mom in the area.
We are also moving to the area, from Missouri. My husband has family in the area and they say Cape Coral is very nice. We have a 7 yr old and the schools are suppose to be good.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Cape Coral is very nice and not slummy at all. I have been here since 1992 and if it wasn't a nice family area I certainly wouldn't be here.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 AM

128 posts, read 648,103 times
I do not live in the Cape (in Fort Myers) but go over probably once a week. I agree it is very nice in alot of areas but my take is as you go north the appeal goes down. I don't know just my opinion hard to explain. As yachtcare mentioned if you do not have a job lined up before arriving here I would not even come close to here. Unfortunatly things have really gotten bad here, I have lived here for over 32 years and have not seen it this bad ever. This area will become a virtual commercial property wasteland in a very short time no jobs so people don't have money to spend in all these shopping centers they built on top of each other. Along with the high unemployment will come the rise in crime, lets wait and see what our new president can do cause I didn't vote for him.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 AM

282 posts, read 1,008,547 times
I don't think it is slummy at all. The city workers are constantly grooming the area. I'm a part timer and love it there. I think you will be nicely surprised at Cape Coral, I was and that is why I bought a house here. We have not have one single regret.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 15,553 times
Default About the Cape!

Hello,

I just wanted to reassure you that Cape Coral is Far From Ugly, Slummy, etc... I'm from Brooklyn NY, and believe me when I tell you that I know what Ugly & Slummy are!!! And apparently, who ever you got your misleading information from, has not experienced poverty!!!
In my opinion, Cape Coral is a beautiful city! Where else can you look out of your lanai from the comfort of your own favorite chair, and look at green grass and palm trees? Where can you take a dip in your pool in December and January, while calling your friends and family freezing their butts off up north???

There is a down side though. We have no jobs!!! The economy is killing us!!! And we are the #1 forclosure state in the U.S.! But if you are determined, and want to live this life, you can make it here!!!
I have not had a "real" job since I got laid off in October... But I have 2 good hands that still work, and a mind that's determinated. And I have not fell behind in paying my bills. You can always amke ends meet if you have faith in The Lord, and are not lazy and determined to go out and work.

Moderator edit: Removed business advertising

Last edited by cmj_fla; 01-20-2009 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: no advertising allowed on forum

Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 AM

8 posts, read 99,574 times
It depends on what part of Cape Coral you are planning to move to. I just moved from Maryland in November 2008. I live in the SE section of Cape Coral and my area is beautiful. I cant understand how someone can say that it is ugly here. You have year round color, flowers and wonderful warm weather in the winter. It is a different living style and as for schools, there are lots to chose from. If you are in the market for a home, now is the time to buy and be very patient. Lots to chose from, some nice, some not so nice. The burrowing owls are cute and wonderful, the anole's (little lizards) are neat to look at. There is lots to do and the people are friendly. This is the best move I have ever made. I love it here and will not move back to Maryland (a very expensive state to live in).

Old 01-28-2009, 11:54 AM

8 posts, read 29,310 times
Hi, we are thinking of moving there from NJ but after reading so many negative threads about CC I'm starting to think twice. What can you tell me about the NW section of CC? I'm so torn now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area