Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 AM

3 posts, read 7,214 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family is looking to relocate to the southwest part of Florida probably in the next couple of months. My husband has received a job offer to relocate down there and we want to make sure if he does take the position that we are moving in the right area.
We now live in the Eastern suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio, we grew up here and never left. We have four children 9,4,2, and a 6 month old. Our children go to catholic school up here and we want to continue that education. Also, is there any recreational activities: football and baseball for the kids? That is what they are into! We really don't want to move into any bad parts down there b/c we don't want to subject our children to that lifestyle. I am a protective parent!!!
I have been searching on the internet for the past couple days and found nice homes to rent but i don't know what areas are bad (like cleveland) and the good ones! I know to stay out of apartment complex's b/c of all the hispanics and we were told just not to go near them! please help us!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:18 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,294,237 times
things to consider: (these are outsider comments from a snowbird)

- firstly, it is not a good idea to make direct negative references to race in a public forum, as many will be offended, especially the many successfull fellow catholic hispanics that are pillar of American society, not to mention the hard working immigrants.
- you may wish to indicate the location of the job, as commuting time is an issue.
- I think you will be happy to see the relatively high profile of Catholicism in the area..radio stations, TV station low on the dial
- from what I have read, whatever concern you have about bad schools needs to be dialed up ten times.
- You or the husband needs to fly down pronto and start driving neighbourhoods.
- Think about taking a short term rental before you decide on a year long lease.
- Maybe his future employer might advise on where the smart money is as far as neighbourhood and schools relative to the office location.

congrats...cost of living is low now down there and you have a job in paradise...amazing

Old 11-06-2009, 09:17 AM

i wasn't putting them on the spot! not being negative about anyone!!! not a racial person!!! believe me they are hereto and i have close friends who are and they are the ones who told me about it! i was just told that they are in the apartments.

thank you for your insight and we will look into it highly!!! up here we have an excellent school system our teacher to kid ratio is about 14 -15 and my son has a learning disability and i want to make sure that he receives the same services down there that he receives up here. the education plays a big part in moving!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,403 times
Long commutes are real headaches for working class people. Research deeply on the local public schools. IMO the public schools are far from equal. Find the school FIRST only then look for a home within that district. High schools are most important since Kids must run with the right crowd at that age. There are many professionals in financial trouble here. Bankers, real estate agents, Lawyers, contractors.They're all leveraged up and are holding their breath as many are under water even in the nicest neighborhoods and professions. The real estate boom isn't coming back until the Chinese move in and foreclose. There's a lot of hidden financial problems here that will begin to be exposed in the coming months. Many families, businesses, elected and government officials are on the edge financially. Don't fall into the "buy now" trap. If you have cash there will be excellent real estate deals coming soon. Take your time and shop wisely. Don't pay huge commissions if you have the time to shop and buy direct from the mortgage holder. Take into account the taxes, insurance costs and especially any association dues. As USeconomy goes down the dumper our taxes and dues will sky rocket.Put little money down as possible. Get cheapest mortgage rate for as long as possible. Keep cash and buy short term bonds. Stay safe and liquid for another year. Good Luck

Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM

What about the naple park area? the job would be there and i was just wondering about he schools? the commute would be great!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,479,936 times
So you send your kids to the local Catholic schools. That way you don't have to worry. Did you know that there is a town down there that is completely Catholic? It's called Ave Maria and it was started by the guy that started Domino' Pizza. He created a college there. I would imagine it would be too much of a commute, though.

Anyway, this is the local Catholic high school. This should get you in the right direction. If your husband has a job, then that is half the battle. Right now, you go where you can get a job.

Saint John Neumann High School

Old 11-06-2009, 10:25 AM

159 posts, read 462,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisbjbam View Post
Hello, my family is looking to relocate to the southwest part of Florida probably in the next couple of months. My husband has received a job offer to relocate down there and we want to make sure if he does take the position that we are moving in the right area.
We now live in the Eastern suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio, we grew up here and never left. We have four children 9,4,2, and a 6 month old. Our children go to catholic school up here and we want to continue that education. Also, is there any recreational activities: football and baseball for the kids? That is what they are into! We really don't want to move into any bad parts down there b/c we don't want to subject our children to that lifestyle. I am a protective parent!!!
I have been searching on the internet for the past couple days and found nice homes to rent but i don't know what areas are bad (like cleveland) and the good ones! I know to stay out of apartment complex's b/c of all the hispanics and we were told just not to go near them! please help us!
Just wanted to make a comment about Hispanics being in apartments so stay away from them, I live in an apt. complex here in Fort Myers and I just got here from Indiana and so I was not used to as many people of different cultures as there are here but everyone is so nice and I feel like I've known some of these people a long time. Never clump people in a stereotype like that because it's not right. I have met lots of different people since I've been here and everyone brings something new and interesting to the table.

As far as schools here the public school system is not great. If your kids go to Catholic school, that's probably a different thing. My kids like their school but just a lot of red tape to get them enrolled and get bus transportation set up and that kind of stuff.

There are alot of negative comments on this forum about crime in Fort Myers but I have not seen anything shady since I've been here and am enjoying every day in the beautiful sunshine.

Good luck with whatever you do but know that jobs are hard to come by and it takes a long time to get even a few miles when you're driving around here. My kids go to school 7 miles from the house and it takes almost 30 minutes to get there.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:06 PM

917 posts, read 2,623,912 times
Quote:
I know to stay out of apartment complex's b/c of all the hispanics and we were told just not to go near them! please help us!
Quote:
i wasn't putting them on the spot! not being negative about anyone!!! not a racial person!!! believe me they are hereto and i have close friends who are and they are the ones who told me about it! i was just told that they are in the apartments.
"They" are all over Florida. There's no way to get away from "them". I even have "one" in my home.

It's a good thing that you're not a raciest, otherwise you might have a real problem here.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 PM

135 posts, read 409,333 times
The first thing you need to do is check schools! They are NOT good here. We moved from up North and our children also went to Catholic school. The Catholic school we enrolled in down here was a far cry from what we were used to. We are in Fort Myers, not Naples. St. Anne's is the Catholic school in Naples. It seems like a good school. In a much better part of town than the one in Fort Myers, but I think you will have a hard time getting them to accomodate a learning disabled child. Most private schools we have looked into down here will not. If you have to rely on public education for your son, I would advise against moving if you are happy with the services he is presently getting. Check schools, and go from there. St. Anne's and Royal Palm Academy ( I think) are the only two Catholic Schools in Naples. Ave Maria would be a bit of a drive from Naples Park, in my opinion. St. John Newman is the Catholic High School.....but from what I understand, most children enrolled in St. Anne's end up going to Naples High.....I hear it is a better choice.......but just what I've heard. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:53 PM

744 posts, read 1,774,797 times
Quote:
I have brother that lives down there. Luckily he still has his job. Make sure your husband gets a signed employment contract before you move. The economy has really tanked there. Unemployment is in the teens. There are tons of unfinished condo's and the overall housing prices are still falling. Buy a house today and it will be worth less next year. If you move rent until the prices stabilize.

Be prepared to send your kids to private or parochial school. The public schools in that part of Florida are horrendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area