Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Well, you don't have to have a defense. I just know that weather-related threads turn into virtual shouting matches and it all comes down to preference.

I can assure you that when we moved away, the last thing on our minds was weather. I also caution folks, especially working ones with families, that moving to an area because of weather of any kind could be economic suicide.

Either way, you'll be fine because if the heat becomes relentless you can always go to another one of your properties or pop in on your family for a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 AM

317 posts, read 772,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Sorry if my point or purpose were misunderstood. I look forward to the heat. My feeling is that three months of heat and humidity in Florida is not much worse than two months of heat and humidity in NJ. Hot and humid is hot and humid no matter where you are.

I plan to be very happy in Florida no matter when we are there.

As far as the NJ house, I am hoping my son and his new bride decide to buy it from us.
I literally laughed out loud at "three months of heat and humidity".

Old 02-18-2010, 11:00 AM

317 posts, read 772,446 times
Quote:
In my defense (for starting this thread):

After reading all the many complaints about the Florida summers I went looking for the data just to see how bad it was going to be. I really expected to see high average temperatures well into the 90's for July, August and September. I was suprised to see the averages, at least, were not near that high. Since I went to the trouble of getting the data, I figured I would share.

While I know that average temperatures don't mean everything (people will remember the brutal days and forget the nice days), the data showed me that "I can take it".
I am from Texas, where the high is oftentimes over 100 in the summer... but there is absolutely no humidity. I never would've guessed without looking at a the temperature that it was that hot. That being said, 99* with 100% humidity makes me want to kill myself. Even moreso when I was pregnant! UGH.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:30 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Once again, the heat and humidity here last 6 months, that's a big difference from 2 or 3 up north. Just looking at statistics is not accurate. Those are averages. One day might "only" hit the upper 80s (still heat index near 100) due to heavy rain and storms. The next might hit the upper 90s if the breeze dies down or it doesn't rain. There you have your "average" high in the low 90s. It is deceptive to just go by the numbers, I have seen them too.

The bottom line is, you will learn this too after you spend an entire hot season here. Statistics on the internet can lead people down the primrose path. Many times SW Florida gets a land breeze in the hot season, which diminishes the "cooling" 88 degree sea breeze. Instead you get the super heated air that hit Miami, then got even hotter on it's track across the Everglades, until it hits the urbanized heat island of SW FLA. It is no walk in the park.

Even if you spend the day at the beach (remember, there are many "rainy" days you won't be at the beach), the AC still has to stay on or else you will have your drywall molding, mildew growin in the carpet, ceiling, etc.

I am not saying FL weather is worse than anywhere else. But to make it seem like our stressful weather season is short (3 months???) is a distortion of the statistics, check the humidity stats too and then you will have a more accurate idea. It will be AC weather from April through November and then sporadicall in the "winter". That is just the reality you will come to deal with when living here.

The one thing I lamment is the new style of housing. It is built to hurricane and insulation standards, so the homes have no cross ventilation. They are like boxes, so you almost have to keep them with the AC on year round, it is a shame, although they are more energy efficient overall.

A real gem is an old Florida house with a lush yard, large Florida room, covered awnings over the windows....ahhh how nice. Even in out brutal weather, a home like that is refreshing. Too bad they don't come like that anymore.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
OK, I guess I will find out sooner or later (how hot is really is in SW Florida). At least now I know what to expect.

One realistic question: When we are away for any length of time we will want to conserve energy. But will do not want the humidity causing problems. What would be a realistic thermostat setting for the air conditioning when we are away? Would 80 be low enough to keep the humidity down while still saving energy?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Sorry if my point or purpose were misunderstood. I look forward to the heat. My feeling is that three months of heat and humidity in Florida is not much worse than two months of heat and humidity in NJ. Hot and humid is hot and humid no matter where you are.

I plan to be very happy in Florida no matter when we are there.

As far as the NJ house, I am hoping my son and his new bride decide to buy it from us.
It is in no way 3 months here..... It is hot and humid from MARCH/APRIL until OCTOBER.... Not 3 months. That is 7 months, sometimes 8 months on a bad year. Non stop with no breaks unlike the North where there are cooler weeks, and cool rains, it is hot ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT, EVERY DAY in FL. No cool rains, when it rains the humidity goes to 150%.... Live here. Yeah I know a lot of people who said, "I can't wait to get down there, I will not mind the heat" I was one of them... 16 years later, it is no longer fun, it pretty much sucks.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
OK, I guess I will find out sooner or later (how hot is really is in SW Florida). At least now I know what to expect.

One realistic question: When we are away for any length of time we will want to conserve energy. But will do not want the humidity causing problems. What would be a realistic thermostat setting for the air conditioning when we are away? Would 80 be low enough to keep the humidity down while still saving energy?
80-82 degrees is a good temperature to leave it at, it will pull the humidity out of the air. Leave ALL closets open, under kitchen/bath cabinets, etc. That will prevent mold. I work in apartment management, and when residents leave for the summer(the smart/lucky ones) we tell them that is the best thing to do. Never shut it off, bad thing to do.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
80-82 degrees is a good temperature to leave it at, it will pull the humidity out of the air. Leave ALL closets open, under kitchen/bath cabinets, etc. That will prevent mold. I work in apartment management, and when residents leave for the summer(the smart/lucky ones) we tell them that is the best thing to do. Never shut it off, bad thing to do.

I will follow your advise. I will do the same in SC. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
While I will treasure our AC at night, during the day I plan to live at the beach or the pool in Florida.
Wear plenty of sunblock.

You might never experience what Chris is talking about, since you mentioned you like to travel and have more than one home. However, I have to agree with what he wrote and I enjoy the hot & humid weather. Right now it's a little ironic that we're discussing the hot weather in FL since I'm shivering.

If you don't have your windows tinted and you plan to be in FL a lot, I suggest you get all 4 windows done. (I'm not talking about factory tint) It really makes a difference. Many people black out the 2 back windows & the rear windshield. The 2 front windows can only be darkened to legal limits. It's not just for your own comfort, but it also protects the interior of your car and anything you store in it.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 AM

What about suggestions for ways to protect the front of the car from being coated by insects or prep'ing the car so they are easier to remove?

Last edited by tmozer; 02-19-2010 at 06:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area