Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 04:32 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,728,558 times

Advertisements

Don't Buy in Bulk! Busting Down the Myths of Bargain Shopping and Coupon

"We all think we “know” how to save: Buy in bulk, buy generic, and you can’t go wrong. And, of course, you can only save on things that are really, really bad for you. Well, guess what? Everything you’ve heard about saving money at the store is wrong! Here, some realities behind common bargain shopping myths."

Don't Buy in Bulk! Busting Down the Myths of Bargain Shopping and Coupon Clipping | Economy | AlterNet

I'm not sure I buy this thinking at all.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:09 PM

23,666 posts, read 70,741,335 times
Not real thrilled by the article, but I will say that the times I've tried Costco and Sams I ended up on the short end of the stick more than not. I could always get better deals at regular stores, and if a 500lb can of coffee is bad, there is a lot more lost than if a 1 lb can isn't good.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:25 PM

843 posts, read 1,438,242 times
That is the exact method I use. Now I will say that most of the groceries I buy I don't use coupons, because I don't eat much cereal etc. But I have found good use of the coupons for frozen veggies especially since my store doubles the coupon. I mainly use coupons for home & health and beauty products. For example, I got $15 worth of disposable razors for $1.68. I combined a store coupon and coupons I had clipped.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 PM

62,112 posts, read 87,929,776 times
I don't buy bulk. I buy what I need and keep my money in the bank instead to let it sit in the pantry. Money needs to work. There is no reason to spend it and let it sit useless on the pantry shelf especially if you are not going to use it fast.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,941,644 times
You really do have to keep an eye on the cost per unit price. There are a number of things we buy regularly where the price per unit for the medium-sized box or carton is actually less than the price per unit if you get the jumbo size.

Fortunately most/many stores these days are pretty good at posting the per unit price on the store shelves.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Yes, you are right!! I do check on that!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,599,613 times
No Costco here, but Sams saves bunches of money if you pay attention to what you are buying.

I did the math at one point, and just 1 item, something that everyone uses saves me approximately $60 a year.

This secret item
Spoiler
Toilet paper, and no I ain't full of .........

Old 06-11-2010, 08:20 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,244,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't buy bulk. I buy what I need and keep my money in the bank instead to let it sit in the pantry. Money needs to work. There is no reason to spend it and let it sit useless on the pantry shelf especially if you are not going to use it fast.
The interest being paid to me by my pantry is indistinguishable from the interest being paid by my bank.

I've got things in my pantry that I bought a year ago, and the price has gone up since then, but my savings have not. The value of rice is going up faster than the value of savings.

A 20-pound bag of rice is a lot better investment than a CD. In fact, the credit card I buy the rice with is giving more more cash-back bonus at the end of the month than my bank would give me for saving the money for two years.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,390,914 times
I buy in bulk and I shop with coupons/sales. I buy bulk items like honey, rice, meat, flour, sugar, herbs, oatmeal, yeast, toilet paper, and some pastas. I shop with coupons matched with sales for personal care items and some grocery items. I have a limited number of stores in my little town, so I cannot get the crazy deals that some people in the city can get. So I have to be smart about which items I am buying. If I lived in the city, I am not sure I would have the time to run to every store for a sale, then go back a dozen times to stock up.

I make alot of our bread, so I really just buy buns when we bbq. I make my own rice and soup mixes in bulk, so I rarely buy pre-packaged stuff. We have a massive garden, so I can, dehydrate, and freeze food that lasts all year. I guess it all depends on how you cook as to what you idea of savings is.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 PM

Well, I think that buying bulk pays off when you have a large family, but bulk for one person eliminates the variety and leads to overspending. Some things can get even bad before finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living